• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Big Sky Recommendations

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just booked a trip to Big Sky for the family this Christmas week. Besides praying for snow I am looking for some recommendations. First if anyone has a level 3 female instructor to recommend that would be great. Also looking for any great restaurants or hikes/non skiing activities to recommend. My mother will be traveling with us and she is not a downhill skier. I hear there is nice nordic skiing at Lone Mountain Ranch. But we have never been so any tips would would be much appreciated!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Paging @Skisailor . Fair to say that her mentor Ursula is one of the best instructors, male or female, in the U.S. But she is also very popular so best to make a reservation soon.

My daughter had a very good time during Christmas week with a family from DC who we had met at Alta Lodge several years earlier. They stayed at the Huntley.

Are you renting a car? Where are you staying, at Big Sky Village or elsewhere?

For a preview, here is the TR from 2012 after a Diva Week West at Big Sky. Once you have enough posts, you'd be able to read all the trip planning and photo threads that are for Divas Only.
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/fun-in-montana.14089/

Skisailor

Angel Diva
As @marzNC indicated, you absolutely should book a lesson with Ursula Howland -one of the top instructors in the country with 40+ years of teaching experience. It will probably end up being the highlight of your trip! I would wait until the resort opens on Nov 22nd before booking her. But then don't wait too long. She books up quickly.

The Lone Mt Ranch X-country skiing trails are truly wonderful with spectacular views. Also, Big Sky has daily guided snowshoe walks. There are other local hikes as well. Where are you staying?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and taking a side trip to Yellowstone is Amazing in Winter!! not many people, need to take a guided tour w/company and if enough snow can take snowmobile tour too!

Yes to a lesson with Ursula!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @marzNC indicated, you absolutely should book a lesson with Ursula Howland -one of the top instructors in the country with 40+ years of teaching experience. It will probably end up being the highlight of your trip! I would wait until the resort opens on Nov 22nd before booking her. But then don't wait too long. She books up quickly.

The Lone Mt Ranch X-country skiing trails are truly wonderful with spectacular views. Also, Big Sky has daily guided snowshoe walks. There are other local hikes as well. Where are you staying?

Thank you for the recommendations! We rented a house on Air B n B that is right off Andesite. Will definitely book a lesson with Ursula. I'm so excited to go but hoping there will be enough snow early in the season to get some good skiing in!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where else has your family been to ski out west? What region do you usually ski in? Easier to provide advice when we know a little more about what is considered fun on and off the slopes.
We usually ski at Gore but for the last two winters have taken trips out West - first Jackson Hole and then Alta/Snowbird.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We usually ski at Gore but for the last two winters have taken trips out West - first Jackson Hole and then Alta/Snowbird.
You will have a good time at Big Sky. Doing the free mountain host tour on the first day is worthwhile. It's a big place and knowing how to get from one section to another is helpful.

What were some of your family's favorite areas at Alta?

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was there in 2012 with the first Diva West trip I ate in an amazing Thai place called Lotus Pad. It wasn't on mountain (there wasn't much there back then) but down a little ways in Meadow Village, the other sort of fake town. I still remember that meal fondly. There is also a great brewery in the same area, Lone Peak I think it was called. Have fun!

Oh and I have taken 0 ski lessons as an adult but opted into the clinic that Ursurla did for the Divas on the 2nd diva west trip in 2015. I still look at the notes I made from that when working on skiing technique.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
The Lotus Pad is still there in the meadow village but in a new larger venue and it is truly excellent if you like Thai food. Other top notch meadow restaurants are Olive Bs and Michelangelo’s. And there’s a lot more to choose from now! The meadow village is much larger than it was in 2012.

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Lotus Pad is still there in the meadow village but in a new larger venue and it is truly excellent if you like Thai food. Other top notch meadow restaurants are Olive Bs and Michelangelo’s. And there’s a lot more to choose from now! The meadow village is much larger than it was in 2012.
Thank you!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I was there in 2012 with the first Diva West trip I ate in an amazing Thai place called Lotus Pad. It wasn't on mountain (there wasn't much there back then) but down a little ways in Meadow Village, the other sort of fake town. I still remember that meal fondly. There is also a great brewery in the same area, Lone Peak I think it was called. Have fun!

Oh and I have taken 0 ski lessons as an adult but opted into the clinic that Ursurla did for the Divas on the 2nd diva west trip in 2015. I still look at the notes I made from that when working on skiing technique.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna