• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best way to pack skis for flying?

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I go on a ski trip, I put my boots and enough clothing for one ski day in my Transpack, and carry that on board. That's my carry-on, and yes, it fits in the overhead. My personal item is my computer bag. So even if they lose my skis, I have clothes, boots, and my computer. :smile:

We do this too. Boots and ski pants, etc in carry on luggage bag. Helmet in backpack. We wear our coats.

We've flown with our sport tube 6 times. No problem so far. We put both of our skis and poles and made custom cut foam blocks to cushion the tips and bindings.

FYI. Don't pack handwarmers in carryon. They come up positive on explosives. My hubby is always ends up being that random traveler to gets frisked while I stand idly by hoping we don't miss our flight.

I took a Sporttube once. While it was manageable at the airport and I knew my skis were well protected, I couldn't fit anything else but poles and a gaitor or two in the tube, so I reverted to my padded ski bag. I pack clothes in the bag, nothing heavy, and I don't go crazy and that bag is well under the 50 lb. limit. I've flown this way with success on United and Delta without any problems.

scorpio

Certified Ski Diva
Hey diva.... I use a fully padded single ski bag when flying.... by DAKINE... they have some awesome designs so easy to spot when collecting at the airport. They do double ski bags too with/without wheels...
When flying to/from the UK they seem quite keen on making sure the weight is under 10 / 11kg so packing with clothes is something I try not to do....
:-)

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Something else. I always put duct tape on my Sportube for identification. Two yellow stripes on each end makes my bag stand out.

But now, with all the really interesting patterned duct tape, I might do some zebra stripes or polka dots or ??????

RuthB

Angel Diva
Something else. I always put duct tape on my Sportube for identification. Two yellow stripes on each end makes my bag stand out.

But now, with all the really interesting patterned duct tape, I might do some zebra stripes or polka dots or ??????

Maybe we should start a "pimp my sport tube" thread

abc

Banned

What's wrong with putting a bunch of Ski Diva stickers?! :wink:

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Re: putting clothes into the ski bags.

It's not so much that the airlines won't let you do it as it is that they might decide to charge you for that bag as an "oversize" bag instead of the allowance as a ski bag. It's a roll of the dice nowadays to see if they ignore that stuffed bag or hit you up for the charge. If you are "selected", just pay the charge. They have their rules, you gambled, you lost. With the airlines looking to get every penny out of every passenger they can, I would not be surprised if the airlines are more strict with their ski bag rules this season. Look up up what your particular airline(s) charge for oversize bags and have that built into your budget. If you don't get charged, hey, more money for playing on your vacation. If you get charged, it won't be an unpleasant surprise.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a double sporttube and some other random soft bags for flying, but I was thinking about getting a double wheeled bag for the next trip ... does anyone have one, and do the airlines count it as a ski bag or oversized bag?

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think we're only allowed one carry-on and one personal item, as well. And the dimensions are strictly regulated (don't know what they are offhand).

Or maybe not so closely regulated? Have you noticed, since airlines are now charging for checked luggage (obscene!), that people are taking more, and larger, carry-ons? We have seen people with two roll-aboards (each, not for two people) and sometimes they get away with a purse or computer as well! So the overhead bins are all filled, and the aisles are filled with people trying to force more stuff, and oversized-for-the-space stuff) into them.
I try to get everything in a backpack, and then carry a large purse or computer case... but I've stopped lugging the laptop along since I got an iPad. It isn't perfect, but it beats lugging a ton of computer-in-case along.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna