• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Best wax for spring slush?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I've complained before, we've had spring condition pretty much all season in the PNW. I've settled in with using Swix F4 topped off twice a day with Zardoz Notwax. It works well enough, with minimal grabbing, except Notwax doesn't last very long. Two hours, max.

So, any other waxes or combos divas use? Anyone tried the Oneball Summer Slush (cheap)? Dominator Butter (expensive)? HF waxes (very expensive)? Do they really make a huge difference, or is there that time of day when we should all go home no matter what? Not looking for speed; just trying to avoid grabbiness.

Thanks!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I just started using Hertel's Spring solution wax.
https://www.hertelskiwax.com/Ski-Wax-Spring-Solution-p/spring-5bar-ski.htm

This isn't really much help to you because I just got it so I've only used it once so far, but figured I'd throw it out there anyway as an option. I had no sticking yesterday when I had it on my skis, but I don't think it was exceptionally sticky conditions in general so I don't want to review it based on just that. It's too bad I didn't grab some up earlier in the season because I did have some terribly sticky days that would have been a better gauge as to how well the wax was working. I use Hertel's Super Hot Sauce wax the rest of the season and really like it, except when spring time rolls around and I get so much sticking.

Worth noting that DH uses the same waxes I do all season and doesn't have nearly the sticking I do which we attribute to my much lighter mass allowing the snow to slow me down more. We've found it much more imperative to mix HF waxes and warm weather stuff into my waxing regimen for springtime than for his as I get much more benefit from it where it doesn't change that much for him overall.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
wait, uh, are you still skiing? Nice!
No, no... Had to stop at the end of March because of family schedules, and Bachelor closed two weekends ago. I had maybe two days out of nine that stayed below freezing. :hurt:

I just started using Hertel's Spring solution wax.
Cool. I was curious about that one, too. Let us know how it goes next season? I'm sure this will be an eternal quest.

we attribute to my much lighter mass allowing the snow to slow me down more
Totally true. I have gotten weird looks from large men when I complained about slush. "Backside is still nice," they said. Ha!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've found 2 main options that will require you to play around a bit to find the solution for you.

1. As noted above, Spring Solution works really well, sometimes. I find it not so fantastic on our icier, man made snow because it's soft enough to pick up all the greasy, oily, polleny crap that we have, but it's great on natural snow.

2. What works best at my weight on our snow conditions is to wax cold-to-really cold (Hertel FC739 + CH4 [or even 3], mixed 3:2) and scrape and brush the h@ll out of it. It's so hard that nothing penetrates or sticks to it and it lasts quite a while. The tricky things with this combo are 1) warm scrape or it won't scrape off, and 2) be very careful of your balance in areas with both shade and sun - your skis will want to scoot off in the shade.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna