• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best ski tip you ever got

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for such great tips. I've had two lessons and am currently trying to gain some confidence on the green slopes before I fork out for more lessons. Last week I went skiing at kept repeating 'push the bush' and 'crush the grape' the whole time. I feel it really helped my technique so thanks for that. Still working on my fear of going down steep slopes quickly though - any tips for that? :noidea:

Not sure if I can explain this right, but you can continue your turn slightly back uphill before making your next one. So if you picture your pole drawing "S" turns down the slope, each curve of the S will sort of "bulge." Just make sure you keep your core and shoulders oriented toward the fall line, it's your skis that do the work here.

Also, the more you lean into the hill and get on edge you take speed off.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Also, for tackling the steeps, it's good to build up to them gradually. Of course this depends on the terrain you have available, but if you're comfortable on greens, look for an easy blue and try that. Then progress to tougher blues, then easy blacks and so on.

And try something steeper when conditions are friendly. Don't make your first foray down something more challenging when it's icy or too snowy. Gradually, you'll get used to steeper terrain, and then will amaze yourself when you go back to something you initially found difficult (say that steeper blue) and realize it's now a piece of cake!

If you're able to ski with someone who's a bit more advanced than you, but whom you trust completely, that can be good in terms of going steeper. And, of course, it's been said many times before, but taking a lesson can help. Tell the instructor that your goal is to become more comfortable on steeper terrain and s/he will surely help you do that.

Good luck on the steeper stuff.

C

CMCM

Here's what has really really REALLY helped me: I have a couple of DVD's from Lito Tejada Flores, and also a couple from Harald Harb. I watch these a LOT, over and over, a bit here and a bit there....and I must absorb information because even though I might go skiing with a plan to try something specific I saw on the video, at other times something I saw just pops into my head and I try it and everything just works! I have learned an incredible amount from my various videos, but on top of that, I've put in a lot of mileage, mileage, mileage. For me, it's all about mileage! There are also some good videos on You Tube by a guy named LasseLyck...there are about 10 of them and they're quite good. Here's a link to a good one on stance:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssNHAXGVlKs&feature=related"]YouTube - Learn to ski (Chapter 2 - The dynamic basic position)[/ame]

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Best Ski Tip - Understanding the Newer Skis

I found this info to be really helpful in understanding the newer ski shape when first shopping for skis.

Depending on the type of ski, its length, radius and its torsional characteristics carving can be easily accomplished. As the industry has segmented the market into the many categories of skis from racing style and technique to big huge floating powder turns, not all shaped skis work similarly anymore.

How you initiate your turns (weight forward, tip on edge) is in its essence the start of a modern turn. The problem we encountered in the past was that because of the technical limitations of the equipment of the time the reaction of the ski to this was limited and did not result in a rapid enough tightening of the arc to get a edged and arced (what is generally referred to as carving) turn engaged easily. Skiing at its highest end on hard snow was always dependent upon strength, power and perfect timing which left most of us out of the picture and allowed our skis to slide much more than they gripped. Interestingly product designers knew since the early 70's that sidecut was one part of the puzzle to prevent the skis from slipping. If you increase sidecut in a ski once you tip it on edge it will want to follow the arc or path that sidecut defines (the radius) and begin to carve. At the same time the ski had to bend longitudinally and twist in order to maintain contact with the snow. The problem was that this increased the torsional forces on the ski and at the time they did not have materials available to deal with this so if the sidecut was too great the ski would become torsionally weak or soft and just release (slide).

The earliest shaped skis were with primarily a parabolic arc. Like an hourglass the concept was to create a round turn on edge, what most skiers still think of as a carved turn. Most modern skis that can carve have a combination of radii built into them. You can see this from the dimensions built into a ski and shown on the ski. Usually the sidecut at the front is much greater than at the tail. Thus the turn shape is not truly round. If for example after tipping the ski on edge you begin to resist the buildup of pressure under foot by moving the body inside the arc and away from the edge (which bends the skis more) the resulting reaction can lead to acceleration and a rebounding effect in between turns.

What has really changed about modern equipment and skiing that has evolved as a result is that on the the old equipment balance was primarily vertical (up and down) and horizontal (fore and aft) whereas now in addition the lateral (side to side) plane and rotational are involved to a much greater degree.

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
Best Ski Tip - Understanding the newest skis -Length & Boots

I forgot to add this important tip.

Now Length

Length required will be a function of your speed as well as your personal characteristics (weight, height, centre of mass, etc.). At your weight and height (which influences the leverage involved in the fore aft plane talked about in the first link) usually for a ski to be versatile or general purpose you would be looking at no more than 145-55 cm and a 12-14 m radius. If you were looking to increase the radius of the turn in the 15-17 m and above radius you would probably be looking at a ski around 160-165 depending upon speed. Your weight could also indicate that you would benefit from a junior race ski rather than an adult ski depending upon your boot sole length (what size of foot are you?) and these can be shorter yet.

We require nowhere near the same lengths as in the old equipment because the stability of the ski is primarily dependent on its ability to grip the ground and arc. For example what was previously seen as the average length for an accomplished male skier (195-205 cm) would today be found only on skis intended to go above 45-55 mph and the turn shape or type of speed (15-35 mph)that these were designed for in the past is usually accomplished by skis as much as 30 cm shorter.

Now here's the bad news. All ski performance is affected by your boots far more so than in the past. If your boots don't allow for good balance (look at the bending in the ankle joints in the first video)and a well timed application of force while helping you increase or decrease pressure on the ski while still achieving balance in the lateral plane the results aren't the same. Most modern boots are made with this in mind though.

bettei

Certified Ski Diva
All of these tips have been interesting and helpful. I know my ability for better turns is being held up by not being able to edge my skis properly. On a fairly flat area I will try holding my skis closer together to make parallel turns and can maybe do about 4 of them, and then I feel that I am moving too fast, and I have a reflex to spread them to halt my speed a little.

It would seem like it would be easy enough just to roll your ankles to edge you skis, but it is really hard for me to do that. I just turned 60 :fear: (boy that was hard to admit) :redface: I have several things I need to overcome, getting my weight forward, and getting those skis to edge better. Ever since I read that knocked-kneed people have a harder time turning skis, I use that as an excuse...because I do have them. And like a lot of women my age, I carry more weight in my butt than I should too.
I rented a pair of Burning Luvs 2 years ago and it finally seemed like I could "feel" the edges bite. So I went home after my trip and bought a pair just like them. And last year was my first year on my own skis, and they don't seem to "bite" like the other ones did. My boots are dead center on the skis it looks like, so it must be my fault, darn it. I feel like I am not quite on the sweet spot, has anyone ever heard of moving your bindings slightly forward, so that your center boot line is just a little ahead of center?

I'm betting you guys will tell me to get custom liners for my boots, and more lessons. But so far I have been passive enough just to get by the way I am since I only ski 4 or 5 days a year...

But if you have any tips for me, I sure would appreciate them!!

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do this too, will be interested in replies.

All of these tips have been interesting and helpful. I know my ability for better turns is being held up by not being able to edge my skis properly. On a fairly flat area I will try holding my skis closer together to make parallel turns and can maybe do about 4 of them, and then I feel that I am moving too fast, and I have a reflex to spread them to halt my speed a little.

weasy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the replies about keeping turning regarding going down steeper slopes with less fear. I have been doing this and have got loads better. I now know I need another lesson or 2 to really improve but can't afford that right now so I'm just going to keep on practicing....

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I do a lot of self-talk when I'm going down a run that challenges me - and I guess I do it out LOUD sometimes, cuz DH will ask what the heck I'm talking about!

So, anyway, I've learned to be careful WHAT I say to myself!

Things I've got in my repertoire:

Soccer Ball. This is to hold between my ankles for feet-apart distance. Teacher said it's okay if it's a beach ball or a basketball, but the size of my ball relates to where my feet hang if I'm hanging on a jungle gym and just letting them dangle.

Toes up -- instead of grabing the sole of my boot with my toes, like it does any danged good...

Under! is kind of new this year, for keep my feet under me.

Along with Soccer Ball came SHIFT -- weight shift for turns, particularly in powder, where I'm not TIPping to get the edges.

MUCH fun is "You're MY bump!" as I poke it with my pole to turn around it... I don't always have bumps to poke, but I'll use this one on occasion anyway, especially if I'm trying to link quick turns.

Oh, and there are days/runs where I have to tell myself "Ski like you know how" just to remind myself that I DO know what I need to do to get down a hill!

Steeps -- first time down a steeper run is sometimes slow and very careful. I permit myself to do it one turn at a time if I need to, and then I'm pleased when I link a few at a time, and sooner or later, I'm down and very pleased with myself for having accomplished it, even if I'm cussing most of the way down with that "what have I gotten myself into" feeling. It's very rare that I find myself at the bottom of one of those with a NEVER AGAIN feeling, and I find that if I have even the littlest "do it again" feeling, that run is SO much easier and more fun!

What I usually find is that the first couple of turns down are the hard ones. Once I'm going, it's not so bad after all, but I always have permission (never mind what my ski buddy wants) to stop and recover from being even the least bit spooked!

The most important thing to remember, I think, is to SKI YOUR OWN RUN. Doesn't matter if ski buddies are waiting for you because they're speed demons, or they're skiing diamonds and you can't. Pushing yourself a bit is good, but doing something you're seriously uncomfortable with can wreck your day. Heck, it can wreck your whole season!

Karen in Boise

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, and there are days/runs where I have to tell myself "Ski like you know how" just to remind myself that I DO know what I need to do to get down a hill!

Oh I LIKE that!!

Ever since I read that knocked-kneed people have a harder time turning skis, I use that as an excuse...because I do have them.

Have you seen a bootfitter? You might need canting.

I feel like I am not quite on the sweet spot, has anyone ever heard of moving your bindings slightly forward, so that your center boot line is just a little ahead of center?

Bettei if no one responds to this question in this thread you might do a search--I'm pretty sure there have been discussions on moving bindings forward here.

Andy

Diva in Training
ski tips

some of the things I've been taught through the years:

--when on a lift, practice swing my skis in an arc with my ankles, side to side (to build muscle memory for turns on snow)
--On a green or road, ski on one ski only (either by leaving one ski behind--very hard, or by lifting one foot)--learn to edge using that inside edge only.
--never just glide--always do a drill of some sort--easy times/slopes are learning opportunities
--always ski with your hands in view--says the Hermanator (I find this very hard--too easy to let them drop)
--your downhill hand/pole should always be very slightly lower & ready to pole if you need to drop down into a turn on a steep (but always from in front of you)--even if you are just on a road moving from A to B
--turn with either your ankles or knees (mentally that is). Personally, I find it easier to think of initiating a turn with a very slight movement of my knees
--to avoid 'backseat-ness' I try to imagine being a hood ornament of a ship, with my chest front and forward and my thighs perpendicular to the slope.

Now, if only I could consistently do all of these!

Andy

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My boots are dead center on the skis it looks like, so it must be my fault, darn it. I feel like I am not quite on the sweet spot, has anyone ever heard of moving your bindings slightly forward, so that your center boot line is just a little ahead of center?

Actually, the factory settings for the bindings are standardized, but are not right for everyone---especially women who may not have the weight distribution and center of gravity used to set factory settings. And bindings have some adjustment settings to move the center of gravity forward or back. I had my Pocket Rocket bindings set forward.

Curious about whether my settings were right (some back seat issues persisted), I took my skis to Solitude, which like many shops, have this balance machine. I stand on my skis and they calibrate the 'center' as a tottered back and forth. In short, my binding settings were adjusted forward. And my Pocket Rockets binding remounted. Factory setting are factory settings.

Go to a ski shop with this balance board (don't know right now what it's called). It may result in an adjustment---or confirm that you fit the perfect standardized female skier model!!!!!! (which I most certainly did not, my center of gravity was a bit off---but my husband could have told me this).:loco::loco::loco:

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting weekend -- I had this INCREDIBLY balanced feeling out there. Even on the unbalancing stuff!

So, buzz words coming out of my mouth this weekend -- ankles (bend at them), toes (quit curling them), SHRUB. As I mentioned above, my self-talk isn't just in my head remember, and I just thought a synonym would be a good idea on a family resort! And "you're MY bump!" that's my favorite, I think, of all time. I even use it on the groomed runs, with little blocks of snow being the bump I poke my pole into as I reach for turns. On one lovely groomed run, I substituted, "you're MY hill!"

Karen in Boise

amanda

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

It would seem like it would be easy enough just to roll your ankles to edge you skis, but it is really hard for me to do that. I just turned 60 :fear: (boy that was hard to admit) :redface: I have several things I need to overcome, getting my weight forward, and getting those skis to edge better. Ever since I read that knocked-kneed people have a harder time turning skis, I use that as an excuse...because I do have them. And like a lot of women my age, I carry more weight in my butt than I should too.
I rented a pair of Burning Luvs 2 years ago and it finally seemed like I could "feel" the edges bite. So I went home after my trip and bought a pair just like them. And last year was my first year on my own skis, and they don't seem to "bite" like the other ones did. My boots are dead center on the skis it looks like, so it must be my fault, darn it. I feel like I am not quite on the sweet spot, has anyone ever heard of moving your bindings slightly forward, so that your center boot line is just a little ahead of center?

I'm betting you guys will tell me to get custom liners for my boots, and more lessons. But so far I have been passive enough just to get by the way I am since I only ski 4 or 5 days a year...

But if you have any tips for me, I sure would appreciate them!!

If you feel like you are going to fast when you are trying to carve it may mean that you are not finishing your turns. This is the same advice that was given above for steeper terrain but I think it applies everywhere. If you really focus on being patient with your turns and letting the tips of your skis come all the way around until they are practically pointing up hill you will avoid feeling like you are continually picking up speed. Hope that helps.:becky:

mollmeister

Angel Diva
A good one for me was pushing your hips forward to stop them dropping back and getting in the 'toilet seat position'.

Eloquently put by some of the Diva's I believe as... 'push the bush'.

VERY important. Also called "f*** the turn" and "Show me your bush!" For me, the hilariously dirty imagery helped me remember. If it had been *teacher terminology,* I would have forgotten. :redface:

Also, another vote for "keep your hands where you can see them." If you can't see your hands in your peripheral vision, they are way too low and far back and pulling you into the back seat with them.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm "deja-vu'ing" here, as I distinctly recall having posted this a long time ago elsewhere. But maybe it bears repeating?

Best ski tip I ever got -- and I absolutely have no recall from whence it came -- Don't take that "last run."

It has been my motto for decades.

Reason: huge percentage of injuries happen at the end of the day, when fatigue has set in.

Many of us will count backwards toward the end of the day, i.e., "Well, I've got enough for 2 more runs."
I make it 1 and call it. For me. If others want more, off they go, without me.

Maybe I'm spooked by having read that long ago, who knows. But it has served me well. I've not yet (knock on wood please)had a last-run incident. Because I just don't take it.

Recognizing that this is sometimes hard to do (i.e., last run determination made mid-run). But if avoidable, not a bad thing to observe.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
Best ski tip I ever got -- and I absolutely have no recall from whence it came -- Don't take that "last run."

So smart. Especially here when the last run is REALLY long (at places like Vail), and depending where you are on the mountain, often involves several segments of crowded cat track. When I am with my Dad, we often download the last run, and that is fine by me, floating over the collisions and tired crashes in the chair!

HasmiF

Certified Ski Diva
Get the right gear. Everyone says it but now I understand. I just started skiing this year and noticed a huge leap in my ability when I first got boots that fit perfectly. Then last weekend I finally found the perfect pair of skis and made another - massive - leap. My instructor kept telling me I had good technique and that I just needed more practice but I just struggled constantly. I don't think I'm giving my gear too much credit by saying that having the right gear for me made a huge difference.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga