• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Base Layer 101

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was inspired by some of the questions and discussions on base layers over the past week or two and put together a Base Layer 101 piece discussing the 2 factors that drive price and performance: fabric content and seamwork. Hope it's helpful for your layering shopping and I'm happy to do something similar for midlayers and outerwear if these are beneficial.

newboots

Angel Diva
Your recent posts here have been so valuable! I'll be heading over to your blog to learn something really useful.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I was inspired by some of the questions and discussions on base layers over the past week or two and put together a Base Layer 101 piece discussing the 2 factors that drive price and performance: fabric content and seamwork. Hope it's helpful for your layering shopping and I'm happy to do something similar for midlayers and outerwear if these are beneficial.

I'd be very interested!

Jilly

Staff member
Perfect timing!! I decided last week that I need some new lower base layers. One pair, my warmest, are TOO BIG and sloppy. No heat retention there. So all I was left with was my Columbia's with the silver dots. I want something else than those too!

Search will be on soon.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Haven’t read it yet but based on the other good info you've posted I have no doubt it's helpful. Thanks for taking the time.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, this is SO good. I did have a thought - I often have compression (Skins/CW-X) as my next-to-skin layer and also merino underwear - how does compression wear stack up and influence the rest of the layering? Obviously it's designed to wick moisture and there are some that are also 'thermal', but should that change the layer I wear over it? (which I still consider my 'base layer')

Currently Mons Royale merino or compression under said merino is my go-to with heavyweight being my preferred choice - which tied in completely with what you are saying about inactive vs active as well as odour management. I run cold and don't tend to get sweaty that quickly, so I suppose a thicker 'inactive' base layer (or is it a mid layer, since it's not next to skin?) works better to give me the warmth, as well as merino being great for travelling to ski.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Oh, this is SO good. I did have a thought - I often have compression (Skins/CW-X) as my next-to-skin layer and also merino underwear - how does compression wear stack up and influence the rest of the layering? Obviously it's designed to wick moisture and there are some that are also 'thermal', but should that change the layer I wear over it? (which I still consider my 'base layer')

Currently Mons Royale merino or compression under said merino is my go-to with heavyweight being my preferred choice - which tied in completely with what you are saying about inactive vs active as well as odour management. I run cold and don't tend to get sweaty that quickly, so I suppose a thicker 'inactive' base layer (or is it a mid layer, since it's not next to skin?) works better to give me the warmth, as well as merino being great for travelling to ski.

Great question! I wear CW-X as a base layer as well.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @Analisa for the info on base layers. Question - I know you liked the Dakine Callahan Fleece but it seems like that was a one-off for Dakine as their new line does not feature the Nano Red or even any Bluesign material. Kind of disappointed in the current offerings. They always had cute base layers in the past.......

I'll edit to add I've been using Dakine's surf products for years, and winter products when DD had comp athlete access - so no stranger to their products. Just not sure what's going on with their current line.

Last edited:

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@scandium @nopoleskier @MissySki - Compression is an insane category subset. Research is still kind of in the early stages. Some garments are pretty innovative based on the things kinesiologists have found so far. Others wade into the pseudoscience realm - like wearing a waist trainer to get permanently skinny or wearing copper infused garments to manage pain.

CW-X definitely looks much more like the former. They speak intelligibly to different levels of compression and clearly speak to how they don't meet FDA requirements to be classified a medical device. Compression is shown to increase skin temps (vs. core) so I can definitely see that being helpful, and at their prices, I'd be shocked if they weren't delivering at least moderate wicking performance.

@scandium, as for your layers, wool would be more of a midlayer since your compression piece is going to do all of your wicking and drying. From what it sounds like, your wool layer isn't very sweaty throughout the ski day. Wool's not a terrible mid-layer, especially in a thick knit. Ortovox is even a unique brand that offers a lot of midlayers that are 20-30% wool. You can get better warmth-for-weight in a synthetic, at a lower price point, that tends to be more durable or at least easier to care for. But overall much better than, say, using Capilene on top of another base layer.

When I talk about inactive base layers, I mean good layers for around home, walking the dog, cold weather hunting & fishing, etc. Like I bought a handful of $18 Cuddl Duds when I started skiing, just before I started working in apparel. Now I only use them in my freezing home office to keep from having to crank the heat allll day.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@scandium @nopoleskier @MissySki - Compression is an insane category subset. Research is still kind of in the early stages. Some garments are pretty innovative based on the things kinesiologists have found so far. Others wade into the pseudoscience realm - like wearing a waist trainer to get permanently skinny or wearing copper infused garments to manage pain.

CW-X definitely looks much more like the former. They speak intelligibly to different levels of compression and clearly speak to how they don't meet FDA requirements to be classified a medical device. Compression is shown to increase skin temps (vs. core) so I can definitely see that being helpful, and at their prices, I'd be shocked if they weren't delivering at least moderate wicking performance.

@scandium, as for your layers, wool would be more of a midlayer since your compression piece is going to do all of your wicking and drying. From what it sounds like, your wool layer isn't very sweaty throughout the ski day. Wool's not a terrible mid-layer, especially in a thick knit. Ortovox is even a unique brand that offers a lot of midlayers that are 20-30% wool. You can get better warmth-for-weight in a synthetic, at a lower price point, that tends to be more durable or at least easier to care for. But overall much better than, say, using Capilene on top of another base layer.

When I talk about inactive base layers, I mean good layers for around home, walking the dog, cold weather hunting & fishing, etc. Like I bought a handful of $18 Cuddl Duds when I started skiing, just before I started working in apparel. Now I only use them in my freezing home office to keep from having to crank the heat allll day.
To be honest, depending on who I'm skiing with sometimes I am very inactive and probably using less energy than walking the dog! I do move to the lighter-weight ones for the days I do any short (<30min) sidecountry/lookout hikes.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Analisa - Do you have any blog posts on caring for layers? I’ve got a couple of layers I just bought that say doesn’t use an enzyme cleaner so before I wreck them, I’m trying to figure out what to use. Usually I buy stuff that's indestructible and treat it as such, so I’m not very good at actually being careful with the laundry.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@Jenny I don’t, but I’m down to help! Which layers are you working with? Or general guidance based on waterproof membranes / wool / down etc
Well, my two specific new ones are Kari Traa Fryd and Agnes - both baselayers. It’s the one that’s part wool that I'm figuring I need to be more careful with. I think the tag says something about non-enzyme soaps/detergents/cleaners so I'd like to know a reasonably priced something that would work.

For context, the layers that I usually wear are all easily 15-20 years old and get no special care. Under armor cold gear tops, stretchy polartec fleece midlayers, and all get tossed in the washer and dryer with no special care whatsoever. And that means they've got years of dryer sheet softener being used with them, too. I'm almost never hot when I ski so I’ve never worried about using the softener, as the wicking capabilities of anything aren’t usually a concern. I have these new layers, though, because it was WARM at Tahoe, and that was a good excuse to buy something new and cute. I'm kind of getting tired of the ones I've had for so long.

Anyway, whatever tips you have would be great, thanks!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Dryer sheets are a big no-no for synthetics. The chemicals coat the polyesters so that the hyrdophobic and hydrophillic properties get blocked.

Wools... I personally throw the new wools into the wash with everything else and line dry *except for knit sweaters*. If you want to do special care, use baby shampoo instead of woolite. It is just as gentle, perhaps more so as it doesn't have fabric conditioners. Line dry.

Dryers will break down lycra components so always best to line dry anything with lycra in it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna