• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Banff vs Lake Louise for beginners?

Cantabrigienne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging people like @alison wong who have skied at Banff many times:
I may have told this forum before about my strange predicament: my 83yo father has been stuck as an upper level beginner skier for a decade and he is determined to learn to ski "properly" before he is too infirm to ski. (He's healthy - runs & hikes regularly.) Whistler is my home mountain BUT it's a terrifying place for a beginner because it's such a busy resort, even in the middle of the week, off-season.

Thinking of splurging and going out to Banff (despite the season pass) in the 2nd half of April. What I'm looking for is dead-quiet beginner slopes with a good range of green runs that offer a steady progression & with some of the greens starting from higher up on the mountain so we can ride up together and split up (with one sib chaperoning my dad if he's not in a ski class; the other reason for going is that the privates are 1/2 the cost of WB's privates.) As my family is high maintenance, we'll be sticking to either Lake Louise OR Banff/Norquay and not really planning on trekking over to the other(s) during a 5-day visit. Any suggestions of which to pick?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Lake Louise has complimentary mountain guides and will take you all over the resort on runs suitable for your ability. It was a delightful experience when I did it 4 years ago and I’m sure just as delightful today. SSV does have plenty of accessible beginner terrain, but I found it to be more spread out and perhaps would not be as enjoyable for your dad given the concerns about WB.

Jilly

Staff member
I haven't been to Norquay, but did ski LL early in the season of 2019/20. Loved it. There will be lots of fun for Dad and everyone else. I was on a work trip and added a 1 1/2 days at LL with some Banff friends, so didn't see absolutely everything, but my friends made sure I saw the important stuff. The Ski School there is one of our best.

Personally, I'm not heading back to WB any time soon. I want more time at Banff...

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Lake Louise has complimentary mountain guides and will take you all over the resort on runs suitable for your ability. It was a delightful experience when I did it 4 years ago and I’m sure just as delightful today. SSV does have plenty of accessible beginner terrain, but I found it to be more spread out and perhaps would not be as enjoyable for your dad given the concerns about WB.
What does SSV stand for?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Btw @Cantabrigienne this might be a great deal for you if you decide on Lake Louise:

$139 pays for your first, fourth and 7th day (if you are there for so long) with 20% off tickets regular season and 30% in the last half of April.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I went to Banff when i was an advanced beginner / low intermediate skier. I enjoyed Sunshine village (SSV) more than lake Louise (LL).

For SSV, i feel I can ski more places without feeling overwhelmed/overterrained. I did their free mountain tour, they have groups for light blue (advanced beginner / low intermediate) and dark blue. Both times I visited SSV, I did light blue. Terrains in SSV are mellower than LL. Blues at SSV are like greens at LV, black diamonds at SSV are like blues at LL.
I recommend to start your father at SSV and see how he does.
In terms of which chair to start, I'd suggest go with strawberry chair first. Its the right most chair if looking up the mountain. The chair serves a very mellow green run.

IIRC, there is a coffee shop, SSV slopside lodge and food court. These are places that you can take breaks.
I have never taken lessons there, so I don't know the quality of the instructors.

My impression, SSV has better snow conditions, so it's easier to make my turns.

LL front side of the mountain has easier terrain but they can get icy. Back side has better snow conditions but their all blues.

Have you checked out any lodging options for Banff? SSV has slopeside lodging, LL doesn't have. There are pros and cons staying at SSV slopeside.
There might be promotion going on now since April is considered late season.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with @alison wong . I'd also be inclined to suggest Sunshine as I think the progression there might be more gradual. There's that Strawberry lift with very easy terrain off it and lots of long wide blue and green runs from what I remember. I do remember finding LL a bit steep when I first went there as a very low intermediate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna