• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Banff - 2017

Jenny

Angel Diva
You're from Michigan, should be used to those temps....
At home I don't go out and ski in them, because I can always go another day. On vacation I can't afford to waste the day so I just suck it up.

Plus, it doesn't usually get quite that cold where I am - the lake effect mitigates it quite a bit.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Our week is not over, but I think we should do a final recap of the prefer-to-not-repeat events:

1 "Brace for Landing" flight
1 delaaaaaaayed baggage delivery
1 sprained ankle in the group

It has indeed been cold, but we've had sun, blue skies, majestic views, and a wonderful reunion of friends, new and old.

Albertan ski girl and her SO are warm and lovely people. If you are coming here, I encourage you to meet them and include them in your ski circle.

Our trip is at its mid-point. Pictures to follow as the Wi-Fi gods deem acceptable.

Let the festivities continue!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The concourse for my departing flight

0101170826-2080x1560.jpg

There was no one waiting at the airline counter. There was not one passenger at the TSA checkpoint. There was one guy at my gate, so I went to a different gate to sit out my hour+ wait.

skibetty

Certified Ski Diva
Funny!

Here's what I wore:

Feet - normal smart wool lightweight socks, with toe warmers.
Legs - lightweight Hot Chilly's leggings/tights, polar fleece logins over that, then my insulated ski pants
Body - under armor compression top, polar fleece top, North Face Apex/bionic jacket (can't remember for sure which order that name goes in but I'll get kicked off the internet if I try to look it up), lightweight down coat, insulated ski coat (lightly, but not just a shell). After lunch I managed to cram in an extremely lightweight down vest, too. And a stick on body warmer - heavenly.
Neck - windproof baiter, and my stagecoach robber face mask.
Head - lightweight helmet loner type hat and helmet
Hands - liner mittens with hand warmers in the pocket and outer Swany Toaster mittens. After lunch I added a fleece mitten in between them.

So, how hardy am I, really?
I'm picturing Randy, the younger brother in "A Christmas Story"! :brr:
Wow! That's cold!!! I don't think I would even attempt!!! I would rather take a cat ride and view the scenery!
Great pics! Beautiful! Hope it warms up for ya!!

Jenny

Angel Diva
Day 4 - Sunshine Village again

While some of the group took the day off to go back to Calgary for shopping, sightseeing, and a hockey game, one of us iced her ankle, and DH and I went skiing with @Albertan ski girl and her SO. Had a great day following them all over the hill. So far this trip I pretty much have yet to consult a trail map; I just follow someone down a hill.

It was another gorgeous blue sky day, although it did cloud up as the weather for tomorrow moved in. It's supposed to snow just a little bit, then be back to partly cloudy on Friday.

I believe the cold snap is over and tomorrow is supposed to be 14F here in Banff. (DH says it might be too hot to ski.). Haven't checked the mountains yet.

Will try to load a couple of pictures later, but we're off to dinner now.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
It has been so great meeting up with @Jenny @vickie and their crew. We had dinner last night at the Banff Brewing Co - and everyone is so nice and interesting! It really was so great.

Today it was just @Jenny, mr.jenny, mr.albertanskigirl and I at sunshine village. It was a beautiful bluebird day!!!

SO and I got there a little early and managed to catch a good part of the sunrise at the top of the continental divide. After a couple of runs we met up with Jenny and Jim and skied all over lookout in the morning and goats eye in the afternoon. It was a gorgeous day, highs were about -15, and the snow softened up with the snow. We weren't cold at all today!!! For me, favourite runs today we're everything from the divide, angel flight and boundary bowl! Here are some pics:

IMG_3589.JPG

Sunrise at the divide

IMG_3590.JPG

@Jenny and I on goat's eye!

View attachment 6367

Attachments

• IMG_3589.JPG
    IMG_3589.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 0

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I'm picturing Randy, the younger brother in "A Christmas Story"! :brr:
Wow! That's cold!!! I don't think I would even attempt!!! I would rather take a cat ride and view the scenery!
Great pics! Beautiful! Hope it warms up for ya!!

This made me laugh out loud - I love that movie!

Also: there are no cold days, just bad clothing...and wimps :thumbsup::bounce::bounce:

And @Jenny and @vickie are definitely NOT wimps. Totally hardcore.

Jilly

Staff member
Ask SkiBam, that's just about normal for Quebec in January. WB folks have been complaining about the cold too.

I love the Banff Brewing Co. Had dinner there year ago fall when I was out there at Hallowe'en with local friends. (Who aren't there anymore....booo)

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sunshine Village - When we arrived, the gondola was running to take people to the base, but only 1 lift was running. It was -30ishC. We waited for them to start more lifts before heading out, which happened late morning. Wawa Bowl, run on the left, was our first run at Sunshine Village

0103171246a-2080x1560.jpg

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another view from the summit
0103171430b-3120x2340.jpg

I think someone else got closer to the edge taking pictures, so maybe there will be more with a better perspective of the height. In some I posted, if you expand them, you can see that the little dark dots are trees.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna