• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: BackPack Suggestions

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey girls. I'm shopping for a larger backpack for extended backcountry trips. Right now I have a Kelty Womens specific day bag. I'm short 5'2 ish and I'm have tried a couple of bags (Osprey, Gregory) and I'm noticing even the women specific smalls are too big on me (shoulders just won't sit right even on adjustable bags).

Wondering if any of you guys have a favorite bag, or know of any good companies for petite peeps like me? Thx:noidea:

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had this same quandry a couple of years ago for a day pack as I was getting a sore back with the bog standard rucsac I had.

There weren't many decent women's ones around at the sort of size I wanted (25l) so got a blokes Deuter one. After a year I was struggling again so got a womens Deuter one and it was too small on me.

Bought an Osprey Atmos 25 two years and that has been far better but still not right and I need to go back to the drawing board really.

Like you, the problem is that I'm quite small in the back really I think.

All I can say is try as many as you can in shops with loads of weight in them.

Hope you get something that suits.

SouthernSkier

Certified Ski Diva
One option, if money is no option (which, unfortunately, usually isn't the case :(), is a custom pack from McHale Alpine Packs. Dan McHale will build you a pack made specifically to fit you, regardless of your size or shape. Because they are custom made, you can choose the pack volume, pack shape, and features that you want. Carrying the same weight actually feels 10lbs lighter than my previous pack (an Osprey Aura). McHale packs are rather expensive, though, but worth every penny. This will quite likely be your last pack - unless you decide to buy another and start a backpack quiver :becky:.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
IMO Osprey is making some of the nicest packs around. They fit really well and don't weigh much. Oops, looks like it didn't fit, Arcteryx sometimes fits smaller people better.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks ladies. I love the idea of a custom fit pack, but I'm not sure if it is worth the cost for how often we get to go backpacking. But I'll consider it.

I was thinking of trying the Arcteryx brand. I tried on a jacket by them and it fit awesome... but it was $500 raincoat, so it went sadly back on the rack. I'm gonna hit REI one of these weekends and just start trying out packs.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also make sure they are weighting the packs when they are fitting you as well. Alot of times people get fitted into packs empty and they simply fit differently with weight and bulk.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga