• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpack: Dakine "Girls" Heli-Pro

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking for a backpack with which I could carry my skis for hiking, but had to have one that fit. I'm 5'2" and "mens" pack straps have 5" of space above my shoulders if I use the waist/hip belt, and my weight gets thrown off and can cause undue muscle strain. A man I know recommended I try his Heli-Pro, and volunteered me to use it, but knew that wouldn't work so went on line and found that Dakine had a "Girls" (not "Womens", it's "Girls") version. At only $80 (and less thru some sources) it sounded like a good deal, so ordered it, and found, instead, it's a fantastic deal.

Features:
Padded hip belt;
Padded fold-down seat for sitting in the snow, could also use it for carrying a spare coat;
Padded, insulated, and waterproof camera case;
Padded & insulated goggle case;
Deployable water bottle carrier with cinch, also good for stuffing a pair or lighter gloves;
Padded shoulder straps with chest retainer;
One of the shoulder straps is insulated for hydration pack tubing (Dakine also sells the pack with a hydration bladder--Heli Pro Hydration);
Ice pick retainer;
Diagonal-loading ski carrier straps;
Vertical-loading snowboard straps (the bottom ski strap and snowboard straps tuck into their own little hidey-holes);
Good-sized exterior pocket;
Extra loops & straps for add-ons;
Large interior pocket (16 liter capacity--around 1000 cubic inches) with mesh liner pocket;
I've probably left off a few items because there are so many.

I'm lucky enough to have ski boots small enough to carry in the interior pocket (but unless you have small boots, I wouldn't count on doing the same). So on this trip to Aspen I didn't have to bring an extra boot bag, and I carried my boots using the Dakine as my carry-on. The pack comes in some good colors (but no pink or purple, darn!) and I got the white with the little dots--looks great and draws a lot of attention. If you're looking for these on-line, you might find two sizes under the same name on sites other than Dakine, so I'm figuring the smaller one (about 750 cubic inches) is last years' and it could probably carry a pair of street boots but never ski boots., but it also comes in some brighter colors.

So, the word is that I'm thrilled with my Dakine Girl's Heli Pro pack. The reasonable price, many well though-out features, and perfect size make it something I'll use and enjoy for a long time to come.

climber.girl1

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Dakine makes two different "girls" packs like this - the Heli, and the Heli Pro. The Heli is the smaller one (and probably the 750 cc you mention... to busy/lazy to go look it up right now! :smile:)

I have the Heli, which is okay if I'm doing a fast and light resort day with a few trips out the backdoor that might have a bootpack where I have to take off my skis. However, I find that once I put my lunch and a change of gloves and gaiter + goggles and whatever else, I find I'm out of room for an extra layer unless it's a thin, packable one.

My girlfriend has the Heli Pro and she LOVES LOVES LOVES it for hiking with in the summer (will hold lunch, hydration bladder, layers, camera, etc.), but she finds it too bulky for skiing with (b/c she never does any hiking and doesn't bring much in the way of extras). I would love to trade her's for mine for inbounds resort skiing.

For longer days/more out of bounds, I have the Dakine Blade, which I love! :love: It's kinda heavy (3 1/2 lbs?) and only comes in a men's version (I'm 5'8, I probably wouldn't like it if I was more than two or so inches shorter), but it's awesome when I need to pack a heavy layer, a full lunch, my daughter's extra layer, snacks for both of us, camera, and all the other "extras" that go with either skiing with a kid or skiing lift-accessed BC all day (we call that "slack-country" :laugh: )

All three systems have the diagonal ski carry QQ mentioned, which is awesome and works well even with big 'ol fat powder skis, all three have the insulated hose sleeve in the shoulder strap, and all three are well made. If you're short, go with the Heli or Heli Pro (they come up on Steep and Cheap for less than half price pretty regularly). If you're taller and always running out of room, consider the Blade!

(Not a very complete review... questions welcome.... QQ, sorry to hijack your thread, but it's more dakine packs, yes?!?!)

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think mine must be a girls heli, as opposed to a heli pro, as there is no way a pair of boots would fit into it. I mainly use it for the ski straps though, so volume isn't an issue. It's a really great, well fitting pack.

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi (my first post!),

I have the Heli Pro and really like it. It fits and carries really well. One gripe - the camera pocket on the waist belt is waaaay too far back. I can't access it if I'm wearing the pack. I noticed that the full-size (non-"girls" version) has the camera pocket located more to the front of the belt. I'm a little bummed as it's a great feature gone to waste.

And this is not so much a "gripe" as an observation - the front pocket holds a shovel and probe perfectly, but the opening is small. If the pack is full, it can be difficult to deploy the shovel. I ended up having to unload the rest of my gear to get my shovel blade out.

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
one note on packpacks -- get your spine length measured!!!!!

this could be the main reason your pack "doesn't fit right" :loco:

most people think that a "regular" pack suits me fine, but despite being pretty tall for a girl, i have a REALLY SHORT SPINE!!!

my girlfriend who is almost a foot shorter that me has a super long spine!!!

go figure! :noidea:

so LADIES:
get your spine measured then try on different length backpacks -- most companies make a regular, long, and short version of a particular pack (short is a little harder to find, but i know arcteryx makes 'em)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga