• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Avalanche at Tuckerman's

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I posted this link in the DC yesterday. https://www.tuckerman.org/accident/20082009.htm
It looks like they opted hike a route that is normally a ski route, which is not necessarily a nono but still not advisable. I'm not familiar enough to comment much about this but I'm very interested in this. If I lived closer, I'd love to put this on my agenda.

Edit: MSL was posting while I was typing.....Great minds think alike, eh?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Edit: MSL was posting while I was typing.....Great minds think alike, eh?
:wink:
Actually, it's a very unusual phenomenon this late in the season, especially given the kinds of precip/temps we've had this past month or so. Everyone around here knows about what goes on in the ravine through early March, but it generally becomes very stable after a certain point, especially when there hasn't been much new snow.

The bigger issue at this time of year tends to be ice falls and sluff runnels (which I didn't quite "get" last year but do now). The latter is obvious - the former has well-known locations, and generally the good folks who are on patrol out there know about all the danger zones and post them daily.

Fellow diva Pequenita is heading up there soon, not sure if it's this weekend or next (I'm thinking next?).

Around here, it's a major "rite of passage." I read somewhere that there were more cars parked at Pinkham Notch visitors' center last weekend (the check-in point for the hike) than at Wildcat (ski resort) across the road!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
There was another avalanche in the east this year - this past Tuesday in the Gaspé region of Quebec. A 26-year-old fellow who was back-country skiing in the Chic Choc Mountains triggered a slide and, sadly, died.

There was apparently a moderate risk of avalanche due to recent 35-centimetre snowfall, according to the Gaspé Avalanche Centre - and while avalanches are reported in the area every year, this is the first death since 2000.

Very sad indeed.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
I was there Thursday. Epic day, hardly any people. I would never go on a weekend. Insane idiots sledding down are not my cup of tea.

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
n1463521364_30326221_7313472.jpg

Here's a photo of my daughter and me. She made it halfway to the lip; I hiked over into the snowfields, and skied down to meet her. Her rite of passage, for sure.

AGH I can't get it to post. Oh well. Look on facebook!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Backcountrygirl, I love the pics!

I fixed the image tag on your previous post but wasn't sure which image, so here is the other pic it could be......
n1463521364_30326229_4640561.jpg

I really wish I lived closer to Tucks.......THIS would definitely be on my to do list!
:jealous:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga