• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Avalanche airbag backpack with short back

Karlyboogy

Certified Ski Diva
Hi,

I haven't been here for a while! Just looking for an avalanche backpack and now there are a few left with discount, so therefore now this question. I ordered the Mammut Ride Short R.A.S. 28, because I already tried on a few and found out that they're big. This backpack should be more suitable for women, but now that I tried it on it's still so long! I adjusted all the belts and the waistband, but it keeps coming way up to my neck and/or the waistband under my waist, on my hips. I'm 5'6 btw (thought that wasn't really short). I'm looking for a backpack to put some food, water and an extra pullover and goggles in, but I don't need a lot of space.

So I was wondering, what are your experiences with avalanche airbag backpacks? Are they all that long, how should they fit, should I go with >20 L and up or could I also look for smaller (and hopefully shorter) ones?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Rats. From my research, Mammut was the only one that fit shorter torsos, but I didn't try it on. And I have a really short torso! I was told that, in general, the lower volume ones would be my best bet. I think size depends on what you want to carry, in addition to shovel and probe. My none airbag pack is around 20L, and there's not a lot of room in there once I get in the extra layer and gloves, food, water, shovel, probe.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lower volume is tricky because you need to fit the airbag components in that volume, too.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't had any luck either. I want to check out a deuter because they have a women specific avy pack. I have their women ski pack and love it for fit.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go for something around 22L . 28 sounds a bit too big and they will be longer, since mammut tend to produce lower profile bags. I am using Mammut RAS (I think the model is called rocker) which is 18l for lift served and the length is fine. It also fits all I need for lift served, hat, sunglasses, a layer, avy kit and water. 22L would fit more, but I got mine on sale at a really good price, I packed it in the shop and decided that it would do. I am 5'6" too (169 cm).

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This may or may not be relevant, but my Osprey Kode (size small) is suuuuper short torsoed. Like, almost too short for my tiny upper body. It is not ABS, but it looks like they have Kode ABS bags now. Not sure if they come in size small. You might be able to find out from their customer service though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga