• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Attention Mid-Atlantic Divas!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
I left SC at 8:45 Fri AM in my sedan seeing snow after about 35 minutes. I followed and truck with a heavy equipment trailor most of the way and we were blessed with a plow/sander for the 6-7 worst of the mountainous roads, so I got to Sugar fairly easily and was again blessed to get the 2nd parking space from the lodge! The snow was perfect both under my skis and from above while I was there. When the chill factor plummeted, the crowds showed up and the snow blowers were turned on, I went to pick up my slalom skis from tuning at Alpine. I'd just gotten about four inches off my car. While I was in Alpine, about twenty minutes, there appeared about three more inches!!!!! OK, this is serious! So I got under the car and put cables on my two front-wheel drive tires. What else can one do for a SC sedan than only sees real serious snow once every two or three years!!! It took an hour and a half to drive from the foot of Sugar to the foot of Appalachian where we were to race Saturday. There I drove beyond the foot of the Cliffdwellers Inn and turned around to get a running start up the hill and beyond the parking lot.
There I backed down getting a running start again to get up into the parking lot and an actual parking space. :fear: Noone who saw the car later believed I did that (seven or more inches at that point, but it went to 16 inches before the snow was done). I was born in a blizzard and I did take my NY road test at 16 in 8 inches of snow. One of my roommates for the night arrived three hours later and barely made the lot with her 4 wheel drive Jeep. The third roommate's van spent the weeknd at the bottom of the hill on the edge of the highway. We used the Jeep to arrive on time for Saturday's races only to discover that they'd been cancelled early Friday afternoon!!!! :mad2: Whoever heard of cancelling a ski race due to ~too much snow~!!! :rolleyes: And how come only two clubs didn't get this message!?!?!? GRRRRRRRR :mad2:I was sooo disappointed because I just knew this was MY weekend on the real white fluffly stuff! :Cry: We did ski both days on great snow with zero lift lines. But it was about 10:30 this morning before there'd been enough digging to get my Buick LaSabre out.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Wow, what a pounding! 16+" in D.C.???
Awesome for skiing, but oh, the chaos in the world's busiest air corridor.....thousands of flights canceled, and it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Sure hope that gets straightened out for holiday travel (some reportedly can't get where they need to go even before xmas, per tv news). Enjoy, supposedly the biggest dump in that region in 7 years!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow, what a pounding! 16+" in D.C.???
Awesome for skiing, but oh, the chaos in the world's busiest air corridor.....thousands of flights canceled, and it couldn't have happened at a worse time. Sure hope that gets straightened out for holiday travel (some reportedly can't get where they need to go even before xmas, per tv news). Enjoy, supposedly the biggest dump in that region in 7 years!

My brother lives in DC. But they were in California last week. Needless to say, they didn't get home as scheduled. My niece was supposed to come ski with us this week. Hopefully they get back in time for that to happen.

The next question is whether or not freezing rain becomes an issue Thu night/Fri morning.

I met some families who drove up from Florida on Friday. One family were on the road for 21 hours, including a 4-hour and a 9-hour traffic delay!

marzNC

Angel Diva
I left SC at 8:45 Fri AM in my sedan seeing snow after about 35 minutes. . . . We used the Jeep to arrive on time for Saturday's races only to discover that they'd been cancelled early Friday afternoon!!!! :mad2: Whoever heard of cancelling a ski race due to ~too much snow~!!! :rolleyes: And how come only two clubs didn't get this message!?!?!? GRRRRRRRR :mad2:I was sooo disappointed because I just knew this was MY weekend on the real white fluffly stuff! :Cry: We did ski both days on great snow with zero lift lines. But it was about 10:30 this morning before there'd been enough digging to get my Buick LaSabre out.

That's terrible! Hope the drive home was uneventful.

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well we are getting pounded by snow again! 7-8 inches already today and the heavy snow isn't supposed to start until later tonight!! They are calling for up to 28 inches! whoa

marzNC

Angel Diva
Well we are getting pounded by snow again! 7-8 inches already today and the heavy snow isn't supposed to start until later tonight!! They are calling for up to 28 inches! whoa

I decided to get to Massanutten early this morning before the snow kicked in. Drove up to a friend's place in Charlottesville last night. Did a trip report about today. Looking forward to tomorrow. Although I may end up walking to the slopes from the condo.

VTskiDiva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely have over 2 feet. The high winds have caused deeper drifts. and its STILL coming down! I had to go shovel spots out in the yard so my dog could do his business! :smile:

I will post some pics later in the day

marzNC

Angel Diva
Massanutten finished with about 20 inches, 16 on Friday and Friday night, then another 4 today. The resort roads were kept clear, so no problem driving from the condo to the parking lot. Could save my energy for the slopes. Spent 6 hours with skis on, 4 sessions with breaks. Haven't skied that much in a day for a long, long, time.

The fun part is that today's snow was all dry powder. The snowy roads kept people away. Felt like a weekday instead of a weekend. :bounce:

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All dug out now from the snowstorm. Final total at my house ... 21 inches

[First time uploading pics to site ... let's keep our fingers crossed]

I call this the "Path to Nowhere" since the plows have not been through. The tree on the right is about 4 1/2 feet tall.

attachment.php

And the view of my deck ... snow there is 30 inches deep at the farthest point I can reach without shoveling out to it.

attachment.php

I'm sure pictures of the lake across the street from me would be really nice. Maybe I'll be able to get over there after the street is plowed.

Snowstorms helped me realize what's most important in my development. Long before the streets get plowed, the dog walking path behind my house will be cleared. One of the guys nearby has a plow (maybe fits on a lawn tractor?) and clears that path every time it snows.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
pm sent re photo uploading.
Hope you're able to get out there and enjoy some of it!!

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva
Massanutten finished with about 20 inches, 16 on Friday and Friday night, then another 4 today. The resort roads were kept clear, so no problem driving from the condo to the parking lot. Could save my energy for the slopes. Spent 6 hours with skis on, 4 sessions with breaks. Haven't skied that much in a day for a long, long, time.

The fun part is that today's snow was all dry powder. The snowy roads kept people away. Felt like a weekday instead of a weekend. :bounce:

:jealous: Consider me one green mouse. We raced at Beech this weekend where it snowed lightly all day Saturday-mostly on quite icy slopes. My sedan did a spin just before the resort entrance but I didn't hit anything-noone around at that early hour. And someone who left before me went off the main Beech Mtn road blocking everyone for awhile at the end of the day. But the 4-5 inches we got really helped everything today. And YAY for the superbowl; NO LIFTLINES!!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga