• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Arthritis in my foot!!

MelRene

Certified Ski Diva
I feel your pain - literally! I have "hallux rigidus", which translates as "rigid [big] toe" on one foot. (I used to think it was a bunion.) The joint is almost immovable, which makes it difficult and painful to get into a boot. This season, when I was trying to improve my control of the skis, I realized that my old boots were too large and my feet wobbling. It's probably because I bought boots I could get my foot into them when I tried them on (many years ago.)

Last week I worked with an experienced boot fitter for the first time, and it was a revelation. I now have snug boots, that fit the size and volume of my feet, that match my ankle flexibility and skiing habits, and that were heat-adjusted to fit the odd shapes of various toe joints. I've only skied on them once, but not only was the skiing better, my feet hurt less afterwards, including less plantar fasciitis. Even my knees felt less strain. After a few more times on the mountain, I'll go back for tweaks. So - there is life without (or with less) pain with a better boot.

FYI, the boots I ended up with are Salomon X Max 100.

I skied on mine for the first time last Saturday. The first run I was aching a tad but I think I have a tendency to “claw” my toes. I stopped thinking about it so much, relaxed and just enjoyed the new stiffness of them. It went very well. They DO need some breaking in. I do have a bit of a bruise on that area between my shin and calf. I had the top buckle a little too tight. Whoops.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I feel your pain - literally! I have "hallux rigidus", which translates as "rigid [big] toe" on one foot. (I used to think it was a bunion.) The joint is almost immovable, which makes it difficult and painful to get into a boot.
DS has "hallux elevatus" which is a variation of yours. It came on as a result of a fracture. He went through copious PT this past fall, had major orthotics made by an orthopedist. Lots of mobility exercises. It has improved but isn't 100%. The PT has really helped.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hurrah - best day of skiing this season today, after yesterday's storm dumped a foot of snow. The boots still feel good! (Snowski/swimmouse - I'm working at Okemo as a first year ski instructor, and prepping for my PSIA Level 1 exam.)

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DS has "hallux elevatus" which is a variation of yours. It came on as a result of a fracture. He went through copious PT this past fall, had major orthotics made by an orthopedist. Lots of mobility exercises. It has improved but isn't 100%. The PT has really helped.
While I was being fitted for the boots, an older gentleman in the room told me about the titanium joint replacement he had in his toe (metatarsal?) joint. I have to look into it. The orthopedist I saw told me that because it is bone on b0ne, my only surgical option is to fuse the joint, which would mean it wouldn't bend at all, and told me just to wear shoes with stiff soles. I'm not giving up yet!

Snowpuppy

Diva in Training
Hi, I'm new to this site and am looking for some suggestions on this topic. I have hallux rigidus as the result of surgery which has fused both joints of the big toe. I am a classic Nordic skier and I can't get comfortable in my boots. Tried on some different boots the other day and had to go up a full size to be comfortable in the toes and to accomodate my carbon fiber insert and orthotic, but then boot was too big overall. Very frustrating. I live in a very rural small town (Winthrop, WA for you x-country skiers out there) so nothing like a "bootfitter" here that I know of. Any suggestions??? Do I need to try skate skiing once I find a comfortable boot??? I'm getting depressed thinking no skiing for me this year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna