• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are you an AM or PM Runner?

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Running Divas:

Kudos to all of you who are out there pushing yourselves to get stronger, faster and go longer.

So, when do you run? Mornings are my favorite time for the following reasons:

--if I don't get it in early, it may not happen at all.
--I get tired in the evenings and run slower/shorter.
--it's cooler in summers

BUT...my lazy a#% sometimes just wants to lay in bed, read the paper, and sip coffee. I have to fight with my split personality (one saying--'go now, go, you will love it' and the other 'you can go later, it will be warmer/drier/sunnier').

I admire those who can pop right out of bed and get on the road early and I admire those who can run, no matter what, after a long day's work.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I almost always run in the morning. Mostly because if I don't do it then, I *can't* the rest of the day since DS naps in the afternoon and then evenings go quickly with bedtime. I like getting it out of the way.

I've been forced to do afternoon runs a few times, though, and I have to say, for as much as I always dread it, I always feel really good when I do an afternoon run.

The best day of the week (at the moment, anyway) is Wednesday, when I have my track workout at 6 am. I LOVE being done with my workout and home by 7:30. I get so much more done with the day!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is your track w/o scheduled and you meet up with others or a coach? This could be one way to get over the morning self-debate, to have an 'appointment'?

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, it's a weekly track group workout with a coach. I'm paying for it, so I darn well better go! :becky:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Mine are generally after work or at lunch time. That'll be even more guaranteed with the new job since for the first month or so I'll be doing a 60-90 minute commute and I don't do workouts before work. I LOVE my lunchtime runs though, I get the satisfaction of knowing they're over before I get off work but I don't have the stress of getting up before work. The new job has a shower as well so I don't loose that benefit!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AM. In general, the weather conditions are better at 6AM, and there are fewer cars. And I tend to have stuff in the evenings. Last Tuesday, though, I was awake and all ready to go at 6AM, and then there was a massive thunderstorm at 6:05, so I ran at noon instead.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
And I tend to have stuff in the evenings.

Yeah, this is becoming a problem for me. I think I'm going to have to start getting some AM runs in over the next 3-4 weeks, even though I've neeeeeever been a morning exercise person, otherwise I'm just not going to be able to get enough in before my tri in late July.

So, I'm definitely an evening exerciser in general, but I'm going to try to switch. Should be interesting. :smile:

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a morning person whether it is a run or a trip to the gym. My whole body just feels so much heavier and stiffer in the afternoon/evenings.

skidaup

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
mornings after coffee for me. I can't do anything without at least one cup of jo...

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No kidding. I cannot fathom the people who have coffee before a race, especially. Just the thought makes my stomach queasy!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am vs PM

Not doing any form of workout at the moment but when physically able, definitely prefer AM. Much cooler, quieter, less crowded, completed early so no question of whether its happening later; great sense of accomplishment. I am definitely a morning person though.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Much cooler, quieter, less crowded, completed early so no question of whether its happening later; great sense of accomplishment.

Oh, and the other cool thing is that the people I've come across in the AM are more friendly than in the PM. We wave at each other, and one time, I was waiting for a light to change, and a cyclist came by and told me to have a good run. But maybe he was gloating that he got more of a breeze than I did.....

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I started running, I did it mostly in the evenings after work, because I am so not a morning person. But I've gradually come around to doing morning runs, for some of the reasons already mentioned--if I do it first thing, there's a better chance it'll happen, and in summer the heat isn't so awful then.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No kidding. I cannot fathom the people who have coffee before a race, especially. Just the thought makes my stomach queasy!

I am one of those people...actually, just one cup of java makes the run or race much more productive for me...amps me up a bit. Without, I am groggy.

It's all about the timing of that cup of Joe :smile:

Ski-dreamer_Diva

<span style="color:#F89F07";">Angel Diva</span><br
So, when do you run? Mornings are my favorite time for the following reasons:

--if I don't get it in early, it may not happen at all.
--I get tired in the evenings and run slower/shorter.
--it's cooler in summers

BUT...my lazy a#% sometimes just wants to lay in bed, read the paper, and sip coffee. I have to fight with my split personality (one saying--'go now, go, you will love it' and the other 'you can go later, it will be warmer/drier/sunnier').

I admire those who can pop right out of bed and get on the road early and I admire those who can run, no matter what, after a long day's work.

I too am a morning runner but I sometimes struggle to get up and go - mostly in winter when it is cold and often drizzley. I look for excuses to go later in the day - but then I don't. Just have to tell myself that the hardest part is just stepping out the door.

Mostly I love to go, especially if I can time it as daylight breaks and I watch the sunrise along the way. :thumbsup:

Marigee

Angel Diva
Mostly I run in the AM - particularly in the summer. If I don't get up and going then I often just keep putting it off until it is too late to run. In the winter though when it is really cold I sometimes run in the late afternoon.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Most of my weekly runs are during lunch at work. I love them, because I get to get away from my desk (most days I eat lunch and answer emails at my desk) and also I always feel like such a badass coming back in from a 4-5 mile run during lunch.

With the heat recently, though I haven't been running during lunch and if I run during the week it is either early in the morning (my favorite, I love it when no one is out on the road and I have it all to myself) or after work (not so fave).

Last night it was miserably hot so The Boy and I ran at 9 pm at night and that was FUN! We put on our headlights and ran on a wooded trail nearby. It was still ridiculously hot and the bugs were insane, but the novelty of it made it a nice change of pace.

K.

niko

Certified Ski Diva
Im def not a morning person so pm for me. Its a great way to de stress after a long day at work. The key as doing it straight away. If i hit that couch its pretty hard to get back out the door esp in winter.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna