• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are you a hoarder or a discarder?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So I'm cleaning out my house in PA in anticipation of my move to VT. I already have a house full of stuff there, so I can't afford to hold on to much. It has to mean a lot of keep it around.

What's amazing to me is how much junk I've accumulated over the years -- stuff I haven't looked at in ages, and God knows when I'll look at again. So I'm tossing out tons of stuff -- or listing it on Craig's List. And to be honest, it's really somewhat freeing.

So who here's a hoarder? Do you save and save and save all sorts of stuff, because you might need it someday or because it has sentimental value? Or do you throw things out because you know, in your heart of hearts, that even though you like it, you'll never really look at it or need it again?

'Fess up.

altagirl

Staff member
So I'm cleaning out my house in PA in anticipation of my move to VT. I already have a house full of stuff there, so I can't afford to hold on to much. It has to mean a lot of keep it around.

What's amazing to me is much junk I've accumulated over the years -- stuff I haven't looked at in ages, and God knows when I'll look at again. So I'm tossing out tons of stuff -- or listing it on Craig's List. And to be honest, it's really somewhat freeing.

So who here's a hoarder? Do you save and save and save all sorts of stuff, because you might need it someday or because it has sentimental value? Or do you throw things out because you know, in your heart of hearts, that even though you like it, you'll never really look at it or need it again?

'Fess up.

I'm a hoarder. When I was in the military, the constant moving kept me from collecting too much crap. But once I got married, we lived in the same house for 5 years. (By FAR the longest either my husband or I had lived in one place since we were kids - for me since I was about 14.) It was such a pain. We moved all of a few blocks up the street but it made us want to move every few years to sort through all the crap!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm pretty good at jettisoning clothing and other stuff that I don't use anymore. Mementos (and other stuff that may not really be sentimental) are a little more challenging. Moving (haven't lived anywhere longer than where I currently am for more than 3 years since I was 15) really helps cut down on any hoarding tendency I may have.

abc

Banned
I'm an "accidental hoarder". I moved plenty, but I still managed to keep a lot of junks: things I haven't used since the previous move!

How I manage to keep them all under my roof is something even myself can't figure out. So, I'm a little afraid to get a larger home. Imagine how much more stuff got "lost" in those closets!

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am definitely a discarder. While extremely frustrating, moving is also refreshing from me in the sense that I can purge a lot of things that have been cluttering up my place.

I do keep one or two especially sentimental pieces that belonged to a relative. but I don't like a lot of junk/clutter lying around, and I prefer having memories and happy thoughts than lots of nic-nak-y things.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoarder. I come from a family of collectors -- books, paintings, art glass, oriental rugs, coins, etc. I hate throwing out any book, including paperbacks. I also hate throwing out photos, but have way too many to "scrapbook" them all.

Recently when we had to get my parents' house ready for sale (they'd lived there 50 years), I had all of two weeks to go through the whole house deciding what to trash, what to sell, what to move to my mom's new digs in assisted living, to my brother in Denver, or to my house. I ended up taking all the boxes of papers simply because I didn't have time to go through it all while I was there. The stuff I did go through, however, yielded up a diamond -- a limited edition print by Otto Dix that went for $19,000 at auction. It was stuffed in a folder in a file drawer. So, you never know. I've really enjoyed going through all the slide boxes and carousels as well. Pictures of myself and my brother doing things I don't remember, pictures of my parents' honeymoon, it's just wonderful. For a while I was scanning them all, then the printer that had the slide scanner broke and the replacement (which I thought was the next higher model in the same line) wouldn't scan slides. So, here I am, halfway done, with about 10 boxes of slides to go.

I don't even throw out email. The old laptop has occasionally given up gems of information from 10 years ago, so I do get payoffs occasionally.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am definitely a discarder. I routinely (maybe every two months or so) go through my clothes, and if I haven't worn it in a year, out it goes. At least four times a year, I go through the dishes and serving pieces, walk around the house looking for things I haven't used in a year, and off to the Good Will they go.

I am also a pre-emptive discarder. What I mean by that is - we will all die some day, and we can't take any of this stuff with us. So - before I purchase an item, I think about when I will be discarding it or donating it, and how often I will use it. More times than not, I decide not to purcahse the item because I will only get rid of it soon anyway!

How about that?

However, I will admit to three exceptions where I am definitely a hoarder. I never seem to have enough pens, books or candles.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been ill for a few years and housework has NOT been top of my list.

However I've been introduced to https://www.flylady.net

and there's some great advice on there, such as, take a bin bag, walk through your house and chuck 27 pieces of crap in there - be it a torn pillow or just piece of junkmail.

I've been doing a lot of that and also every time I walk in to a room I look for something which really could be doing with being in the bin.

A lot of it is stuff which if I ever actually *did* need :rolleyes: would cost me a couple of euros to replace so not the end of the world.

Edit: I'm with Lola on the pre-emptive thing. Because I'm not living in a country where I see myself long-term, or even past a a few years, before I buy something I ask myself "would I pay to have this shipped?", or "will this sit on a landfill for 1000 years?" I ask these questions - doesn't mean I don't buy crap like everyone else though. :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
My mother told me years ago, move at least every 20 years. This thread is interesting in that I had decided a few weeks back that I needed to clean out. I'm pretty good about clothes, but I seem to collect alot of other stuff. Its time and this weekend doesn't look to hot for any beach/water activity, so I'll dive into closets and cupboards.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoarding

before I purchase an item, I think about when I will be discarding it or donating it, and how often I will use it. More times than not, I decide not to purcahse the item because I will only get rid of it soon anyway!

I'm a hoarder by nature but forced into discarding stuff on those rare occasions when I've moved. The last time I made a major move, I noted the things that were being donated to Goodwill......an evening dress that had never been worn (ok it was on sale!), loads of clothes that had been worn once/twice, etc.....causing me to stop and think more before acquiring more stuff.

It's more difficult for me not to hoard books. There are always so many good ones.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
How I manage to keep them all under my roof is something even myself can't figure out. So, I'm a little afraid to get a larger home. Imagine how much more stuff got "lost" in those closets!

This is the one thing I love about our tiny apartment - it forces us not to accumulate too much crap. We still manage a surprising amount, though!

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About 2 months ago, I heard a radio DJ say that her New Year's resolution was to clean out every closet, drawer, box, etc., and that she had just finished. I thought it was a great idea. So I started. I'm still at it. Every day. What a chore! It IS freeing though.

Marigee

Angel Diva
I am a frustrated discarder because my kids never seem to want to get rid of anything - not the broken toy car they haven't played with for years - or even unimportant school papers (not creative thinks like essays or drawings, but everyday homework.) One of my twins even hangs on to outgrown clothing for a few months " just in case." I learned my lesson a few years ago when I threw away some old toys they hadn't played with in years thinking they'd never notice - WRONG.:doh: It took me a long time to live that down. Now I don't touch anything until they say something - hence we have lots of JUNK in closets, etc. UGH!

Marigee

Angel Diva
My daughter lost weight when she went to college and was able to fit back in her stuff from 8th grade. Saved her a bunch of money.

I wouldn't object to saving clothing that was outgrown due to gaining weight, etc. This is outgrown b/c they (boys) are getting taller - the clothes will NEVER fit again. # 1 son has gone up and down in waist sizes (depending upon how much pizza he eats and how active he is!) so we keep his pants and shorts.

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We moved 3 years ago and had a chance to toss lots of stuff. It did feel good. And now I try to purge every so often. I really went on a whirl after visiting my Mom and thinking about who would have to clean out all her stuff when she passes on.

But, I have a new challenge. It seems that since I have moved to Vermont my son-in-law has taken to storing his stuff at my house. First it was a tooth brush, then skis, ski tuning stuff, and boots. Now I find he has left coats, ski pants, shoes, old jackets, retro sunglasses, and who knows what else. I guess he fears Lola would purge them! Now what do I do???:help:

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone hoard skis?

I have a stockpile. It's immunity from the whims of the market. If no factory makes a ski in my favorite length, tip, waist, & tail measurements, I'll still have something to ski on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga