• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are women's specific skis necessary?

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 really has had/does have some ugly skis. I feel like they don't even try to make the women's line look nice.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 08-09 Volkl Lunas were pretty bad:

25914-_02.jpg

Jilly

Staff member
That Topaz. Problem was it was a great ski....Then Bonfire, a division of Salomon, had a suit that almost matched. It was more brown and a deeper green.

altagirl

Staff member
K2 really has had/does have some ugly skis. I feel like they don't even try to make the women's line look nice.
I liked the first two years of the phat luv - with the hibiscus flowers in bright colors - first year I think was blue and orange, then green and blue...

And it's gone downhill ever since. Then they started doing the curly thin lines and pastels and... yuck.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
K2 has definitely improved things for next season. These aren't the greatest pics, but they give you an idea

900x900px-LL-33fcbc54_IMG_1496.jpeg

I thought K2 usually did integrated bindings. Are they backing away from that, or is there just an option of flat skis?

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Things have really changed at K2 for woman's skis, starting last year with the potion skis, which is a dumb name, but the shape and style of the skis had changed dramatically and become more like a free ski to look at. Which is smart. They also got good reviews from testers.
And these new 2016 graphics look really good. They must have some new designers.
I see these gone back to the Luv name - not sure about that. Those 98's look nice. Wonder if that is the same as last years Remedy.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first shaped ski was a women's specific ski called the K2 Power. I believe it was supposed to be analogous to the K2 IV (Four). It was bold red and black. In fact, I still have it, but the bindings are no longer indemnified, and it's not worth it to me to get them mounted with safe bindings, though I'd be curious. It wasn't pink. It wasn't shrunk. It didn't have a cutesy name. Power. Heck yeah.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Things have really changed at K2 for woman's skis, starting last year with the potion skis, which is a dumb name, but the shape and style of the skis had changed dramatically and become more like a free ski to look at. Which is smart. They also got good reviews from testers.
And these new 2016 graphics look really good. They must have some new designers.
I see these gone back to the Luv name - not sure about that. Those 98's look nice. Wonder if that is the same as last years Remedy.

No, the Remedy is still around, and the new Luvs are nothing like the old Luvs. I only skied the 98, but it was really light and fun. The narrower Luvs are replacing the Supers, I believe, and the wider ones are replacing the Potions.

I thought K2 usually did integrated bindings. Are they backing away from that, or is there just an option of flat skis?

I am not positive, but I think you can get everything flat now. Maybe some of the skinnier ones still come with system, I didn't really pay attention to those. :redface:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is the review I did of the 98, for epicski:

The next run saw the K2 FulLUVit 98ti (170), which was one of only two women’s-specific skis I demoed. I have only limited experience on the venerable K2 Luvs of the past, but I think I can safely say that the new Luv series bears little resemblance to those heavy, damp, safe skis. I really enjoyed this one. It was very smooth on edge and super easy to pop off quick little turns. I was on a size too small, so I found it a little bumpy when trying to book it through chopped snow, and I never had it on an especially firm surface, but overall I think this is going to be a very popular ski. I would be happy to spend more time on the 177 version!

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^
Funny I just was over there and read your review,
as when I saw that picture I did a search. Didn't realse that was you.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^^
Funny I just was over there and read your review,
as when I saw that picture I did a search. Didn't realse that was you.

Yeah I should have attributed the other photo. The one I took was intended to record ski name and dims, which is why it wasn't of the whole ski.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here is an interesting video that 'd like your opinions of. It is a couple seasons old, but I think is when Volkl introduced thee Volkl One in a women's version in the hot pink, and also expanded to the two and three.
Its a great video if you have time to watch the whole 11 mins. Each ski 1, 1W 2 and 3 all get their own segment in the vid. At about 3 mins its the women's turn. A girl comes on skiing powder on the pink skis. They even change the music to a girl singing, to highlight it, and it looks very cool.

Now you can take this 2 ways, either it's cool they included a girl in the video, and they had her skiing the same stuff as the guys, the skis are obviously girls skis and there is lots of girl power to be had. Or ... it is unnecessary to have colour coded One's -Blue and pink, for what I think,(?) is exactly the same ski. What do you think?

Question 2 : Do we think that young female skiers, 16-25, who have grown up with gender specific skis might not try skis like Volkl one if there wasn't a women's version-would it perhaps not be on their radar.

For all that I don't really like pink skis, for all those reasons we've talked about, - it seems ok on a fun powder ski, and kind of more appropriate.
I would have liked to see the girl skiing on the two and three as well, because why shouldn't she -she could certainly handle them. She was only on the "girl ski".
Anyway -cool video.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really enjoyed this marketing video! I especially appreciated the "organic butters" the guys were doing. (my play on words for the powder butters; something not seen in many of the freestyle ski films where most of the skiing is hucking) Very nice low key video that surely gets people interested in these Volkls.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Question 2 : Do we think that young female skiers, 16-25, who have grown up with gender specific skis might not try skis like Volkl one if there wasn't a women's version-would it perhaps not be on their radar.

My personal opinion, and nothing more, is that it's women and girls who have always had the option of skiing on gender specific skis who are less likely to have a ski on her radar if there is not a women's version of a ski. So, this could be younger skiers that you describe above, or someone in her 40s who just started skiing 3 years ago.

Color coding - meh. But, I do think it would be neat to have two top sheets without saying that one is for women and the other for men, sort of like how in some car racing video games, a particular car can have two different paint jobs/cosmetics.

mustski

Angel Diva
Graphics do make a difference to me. I won't buy a ski that I find creepy or offensive. As for ugly ... well, if there was something pretty that I liked just as much then I would buy the pretty ski. I know you can't see them when they are covered in snow, but I live in SoCal. We look at our skis a lot in this neck of the woods.

abc

Banned
I don't see that as a problem.

Either she finds her women specific skis she likes. Or she find them too short or too soft. If it's the latter, she'll be looking at the man's version of similar skis. Why would she not?

Many of us found clothing in the men's or boy's section. Women specific skis even sit at the same rack as the men's skis!

alicie

Angel Diva

I'm in the middle of that age bracket and to me I really couldn't care less whether it was a man or woman's ski. To be honest I don't really care whether anything is male or female, most of my clothes apart from jeans are men's purely because I prefer them. I think it can be down to the person, no matter how old they too. Quite a lot of my friends if they skied wouldn't be seen dead on a mans ski, and there's a few that really wouldn't care but for those that cared it more because it's mans not that they don't know it's there. Same goes for none skiing things, one was shocked I had 'mens' shoes. I don't think it's necessarily the age but the person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga