• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Are Volkl Attiva AC3 too advanced of a ski for an timid intermediate??

Simone29

Certified Ski Diva
I am 29 started and started skiing for the first time last year. I live in NJ but learned in Aspen and picked up the sport pretty quickly. I went skiing every week, and by the end of the season i was doing diamond runs at Vail, Tremblant, and Killington. I ski NJ, NY, PA, and VT usually. Last year I bought the Volkl Attiva AC3's 149 in length after being on rentals all year. The 2nd day i was on these new skis i broke my ankle in powder out west.

I am back to skiing this year and am now scared of powder, and thusd stay on groomed blue trails this year. I am 5'3, 144lbs and classified as a type II skier and a strong level 6 skier with speeds of a level 5 (that's what aspen ski school told me last week).

My new Volkl Attiva AC3's seem really fast and a little scary. I spend most of my time just trying to slow these skis down and by the 2nd run my legs are burning.

Should i downgrade these skis? Or do you think if I practice enough I can get the hang of these skis? Are the AC3's really for experts or can an intermediate handle these?

This could have been my post last February. I bought the Attiva AC3s in a longer length and had some serious challenges with them when I was in Montana. I decided to keep them, traded them down to a shorter length, and also bought the AC2s for softer conditions, bumps, and days when I want to go slower and work on my carving. I've taken the AC3s out briefly this season and am going to have them waxed this week so I can bring them to Stratton this weekend because they RIP! I have to say that I much prefer them on very groomed runs and when there is ice and/or cookies and I hated them in the soft snow. And forget about bumps with that ski.

Since you ski in the East or the mid-west, hang onto them because they are a stable ski that holds an edge in all kinds of conditions, but get yourself another set of skis that are more forgiving, yet will keep you moving forward. I do wonder, however, if they are too short for you. I'm just under 5'7" and weigh 145 lbs. and the 156 are perfect for me. Whatever you decide, don't beat yourself up about buying the "wrong" ski. I have made a lot of buying mistakes in these first few years of skiing, and finally am happy with my equipment. It's a huge learning experience and this forum is a great resource!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll be happy to post an opinion as soon as I get out skiing again this season. I picked myself up a pair of Attiva AC3's last season in 156 but haven't had them out yet (only skiied twice since buying them). My first day out I took out my trusty K2 True Luvs in 153 as they are my relaxed, forgiving ski. I can make them go fast, but they let me get away with flaws that are nearly guaranteed on my first day out. The AC3's I suspect won't be so tolerant and will also have me making longer turns which will be a change for me but I'm looking forward to it. For reference I'm on my 4th season on skis, 5'3.5", 127lbs. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate but don't ski blacks too often, mostly blues.

Simone29

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the advice!

I just tried my AC3's at Stratton this past week. It was a sheet of ice. Although I did not fall, these skis were not easy to deal with.
I also think that in general the AC3's require the skier to be in better shape then maybe a softer ski. I might just get a second softer pair? Any recommendations?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a general comment - almost all Volkls are high-speed beasts....Volkl's main focus is race/high performance skis.

However, keep them for later and get something softer for now. Maybe look at K2, Dynastar, or Rossi as they tend to be on the softer, more relaxed side. Once you start moving at high speeds and becoming more agressive, you'll be glad you kept the Volkls.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga