• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone ski Bogus Basin?

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
My husband and I are considering relocating from California to Boise (I know, we're joining the club). I've always dreamed of living somewhere where I could ski within 30 minutes of driving and I'm eager to check out Bogus Basin. Can anyone comment on the mountain and/or backcountry skiing opportunities in the area? I'm a type III (low end) skier and I like steeps at slow speeds and groomers at high speeds. Mostly, though, I just want to be close to the mountain so I can go skiing anytime without it being a huge travel production.

Whitrose

Diva in Training
First tip: don’t tell Idahoans you’re from California lol. There’s some serious hate going on here for transplants.

Second, bogus basin is awesome!! I’m a new skier so I can’t attest to how it compares to big name resorts but everyone here loves it for the hidden gem it is. Added to the fact it’s only 16 miles from downtown and completely empty on weekdays, you couldn’t ask for a better place to ski. Boise is also ~2 hours away from 3 other awesome resorts (Tamarack, Brundage, and Sun Valley).

If you haven’t made it up here, you should try for the next few weeks if you could swing it. We got bombed by snow and all the resorts are in deep powder right now :smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
bogus basin is awesome!! I’m a new skier so I can’t attest to how it compares to big name resorts but everyone here loves it for the hidden gem it is. Added to the fact it’s only 16 miles from downtown and completely empty on weekdays, you couldn’t ask for a better place to ski. Boise is also ~2 hours away from 3 other awesome resorts (Tamarack, Brundage, and Sun Valley).
Welcome! How long have you lived in Boise?

I did a late, late season trip last May to the west coast with my ski buddy who is willing to do a lot of driving for ski trips. We met up in Boise for the drive to Bend because Southwest flies to Boise and it's on his way from Albuquerque. Seemed like a nice little city.

I read about Tamarack. Glad it seems to be coming back to life.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Just curious, why did you choose Boise? There are a number of smaller non coastal cities in the PNW that have close access to affordable skiing.

Whitrose

Diva in Training
Welcome! How long have you lived in Boise?

I’ve lived in Boise most of my life. Born and raised, left for university and work, came back for grad school. Boise is a nice little city, it’s just growing super fast. But you still get a small town feel from it and the people. Idahoans are known for being friendly so it’s pretty easy to strike up conversations and make friends. Sooo much to do here every season!! We do have a bad rap for hating Californians for various reasons. It’s unfortunate but a lot of the old timers see how much things are changing and blame it unanimously on Cali transplants.

Back to skiing, I’m going to tamarack in a couple weeks so if I remember I’ll post my thoughts :smile:

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied there when I lived in Boise. I was only there for 3 years though. If I remember correctly I had a pass at Bogus for 2 years in a row but never spent all that much time on the slopes. The drive up and down the mountain takes a while so you need a whole day to really make it worth it. My husband is a disabled skier and they were really not set up for him to access things well so my impression of the resort was somewhat clouded by the frustrations we encountered with their poor wheelchair/monoski access.

I was more of a fast blue groomer skier back then so can't comment on the trees, bumps or back country. Its a small area and getting from top to bottom doesn't take long. It can get crowded on weekends as you probably expect. My favorite local area near Boise was Tamarack and despite it being a bit of a farther drive had more fun there. Sun Valley is not that much farther and IMO much better skiing. That being said Bogus is a cool little area, its affordable, close to the city and will get you on the snow. I don't think they have any snow making because they are a non profit.

Whitrose

Diva in Training
I skied there when I lived in Boise. I was only there for 3 years though. If I remember correctly I had a pass at Bogus for 2 years in a row but never spent all that much time on the slopes. The drive up and down the mountain takes a while so you need a whole day to really make it worth it. My husband is a disabled skier and they were really not set up for him to access things well so my impression of the resort was somewhat clouded by the frustrations we encountered with their poor wheelchair/monoski access.

I was more of a fast blue groomer skier back then so can't comment on the trees, bumps or back country. Its a small area and getting from top to bottom doesn't take long. It can get crowded on weekends as you probably expect. My favorite local area near Boise was Tamarack and despite it being a bit of a farther drive had more fun there. Sun Valley is not that much farther and IMO much better skiing. That being said Bogus is a cool little area, its affordable, close to the city and will get you on the snow. I don't think they have any snow making because they are a non profit.
They just started snowmaking this year!

Christy

Angel Diva
I don't mean to be nitpicky but my experience is that Sun Valley is more like 2 hours 45 minutes via winter route. Which to me puts it out of daytrip distance.

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
I live in Boise and ski Bogus. The passes are reasonable and the terrain is very good for a such a small ski area. A local ski shop sells bumper stickers that say “The road to Bogus is a character builder” I really don’t think it’s that bad but maybe I’ve just built up a lot of character. I can ski in the morning and be at work by 2 or 3pm. I have not been to any other Idaho resort mostly because Bogus is so close. If I’m going on a ski trip I leave the state. If you make it to Boise send me a message. I’d be glad to show you around even if you are from California...

Whitrose

Diva in Training
I don't mean to be nitpicky but my experience is that Sun Valley is more like 2 hours 45 minutes via winter route. Which to me puts it out of daytrip distance.
You are correct. Guess it just depends on how far you consider day trip doable. I have friends that get up early and drive back late, and they still think it’s worth the day trip.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Those artcles drive me nuts. I've got three Bogus style areas within 100 miles of me. Tickets are $64, $57, $54 respectively. I get $5 off with my season pass. Not fancy resorts but that's A OK with me.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I wasn't saying that Sun Valley was a good day trip option for someone living in Boise. It Is a great weekend trip option though!

MissySki

Angel Diva
You are correct. Guess it just depends on how far you consider day trip doable. I have friends that get up early and drive back late, and they still think it’s worth the day trip.

Anything up to around 3 hours each way is fair game for a day trip for me living in MA. Under 3 hours is a bonus! Staying full weekends isn’t always an option, if I didn’t drive for long day trips I’d never get to ski during seasons where I don’t do a seasonal rental. I’ve done a few 4 hours each way day trips, those are less fun, amazing how much more tiring it is to add on the last hour each way.

When I do a seasonal rental it’s 4 hours each way to Sunday River, and some think it’s crazy to do that every weekend as well. 2 hrs and 45 minutes each way would be amazing!

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We do have a bad rap for hating Californians for various reasons. It’s unfortunate but a lot of the old timers see how much things are changing and blame it unanimously on Cali transplants.

I’m on the opposite side of Idaho and it’s the same here too.

I met a woman on the lift over the weekend who usually skis Bogus Basin and she said you are having a very good February!

Christy

Angel Diva
Washington went through that in the 1990s. The funny thing was, at that time most of our growth was coming from Oregonians. Californians were more visible since they were able to sell their houses for so much and buy really nice places up here. The California bashing seems to have died down in WA because we have so many new people from so many places--now people just bash Amazon.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Was in Boise last week and skied Bogus Basin for the first time on Wednesday after a nice dump overnight. It was one of the best powder days I had this season! Not a big mountain but lots of great off piste terrain where there seemed to be almost a foot of light freshies everywhere! We had such a blast! And for only $64!

Went to Sun Valley after and even though they just got a ton of snow, we had way more fun at Bogus for less than half the cost!

mcmary

Certified Ski Diva
Ah yes, fantastic conditions that are coinciding with the season pass sale. It’s a marketing campaign supported by weather, they’re calling it FebruBuried. I was there last Wednesday too! Here’s this mornings snow marker shot. It’s actually at 13 inches now but I like this one with the Bogus peeking out:smile::smile:
218C8D91-4EEA-4DEE-B4BA-E2EA0537BBA6.png

alison wong

Angel Diva
How difficult / treacherous is the drive from Boise, ID to Tamarack and Brundage? @mcmary post (#9) above mentioned it is character building. That sounds stressful..... is it white knuckle / anxiety inducing type of driving?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965