• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

anyone have an arcteryx jacket?

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I mentioned in another thread, I've been ogling the Arcteryx jackets. They look very practical, well-made, and cool, but I don't know anyone who wears one.
I'd really appreciate some input from any divas who've worn them, because they are also incredibly expensive, and I can't afford to make a mistake.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just sprung for a pair of acteryx bibs, the hard shells----I thought I'd invest in the pants that can be expected to last forever, versus the jacket (because styles change and I am fickle and layer need can vary depending on conditions).

But arcteryx hard shells are popular. Cloudveil is another one you should check out. I saw a Cloudveil at Jackson Hole on Labor day for a decent price. I walked away, but it took all the muster I could muster.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I have an arcteryx jacket that's really nice, but the sleeves are a little long. I don't know if this is the case with all of their stuff or if it's just me, but it might be something to watch for.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My understanding is that they make their jackets with longer sleeves on purpose. But there's long and too long, especially if they get in your way.
Ski Diva, is your jacket insulated and warm, or is it an outer shell-type?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, the one I have isn't a softshell or a hardshell; it's just a casual wool jacket that I wear around. Here it is:

1778157901_950fd9876e.jpg

though mine's black.

This isn't probably what you had in mind at all, but I just wanted to give you a heads up about the sleeves.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an Arc'Teryx softshell. Do you have any specific questions? A few of my friends have the hardshells, I think they like them. The softshell is really well made.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I do have a question. What do you wear under it when it's cold?

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are nice clothes especially for their waterproofing. When they first came out rumour was they tested the clothing in a car wash and it didn't leak. Keep in mind though if you do make the purchase, it is an investment, so pick a color that you will like for a long time. You can find very good sales on these at sites like backcountryoutlet.com etc.

altagirl

Staff member
I actually own two arc'teryx jackets (well three- two shells and a fleece).

I can't recommend them enough. The first shell I bought over 6 years ago and it's fantastic. I bought the replacement, well honestly because I was bored with the color. It's still perfectly functional, waterproof, etc. and I've probably skied 400 or so days in it.

For the replacement I bought one that's marketed for touring use - it's a very lightweight shell, only one chest pocket, pit zips, and that's it. I usually wear a fleece with pockets under it, and it's just an awesome jacket. The details - sealed seams, watertight zippers, hood that fit perfectly over a helmet are all wonderful and have been perfect on both jackets.

Anyway - I got both of mine on sale - still expensive at 40-50% off, but they are worth the investment.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got mine on sale too, you can usually find them on REIoutlet or backcountry.com outlet. Maybe not right now since it's before ski season. I wear my softshell as a jacket during warmer or drier weather. If it's brutally cold or wettish I wear a Marmot hardshell overtop. Under my softshell unless it's warm out, I will wear a thin wool baselayer and a fleece vest to keep my core warm. I can sometimes squeeze another thin baselayer under.

The jacket fits me so that its roomy in the chest and shoulders, but does get kind of tight and tapered at the sleeves so many longsleeved layers won't work well under it. I do think that the hardshells are roomier in the lower arms so you probably won't have that problem. I think a-t stuff is good for women who are bustier too, mine has quite a bit of spare room in the chest since I'm about as flat as a board.

A very petite friend of mine swears by her AT hardshell. She looks hot in it too. So, function and form = A+++

K.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
eta here is a pic of me in my softshell. it is a size small, which is what I usually am sized at in clothes. I think if I could change anything, i would go with a Medium to give extra room for layering. The reason a lot of my friend enjoy arc'teryx stuff is that it seems to be sized more european, so they can actually find clothes that fit them in it (they are both under 5' small women so have problems finding clothes that fit), so depending on yhour size you may need to size up.

IMG_0516_small.jpg

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really terrific products. They have "European sizing," which generally means they run a smidgen smaller than true "American" sizing and can be snug thru the hips.

Cloudveil stuff is gorgeous too, but I find the jackets too short for my body type (even though I have long legs and not a particularly long torso). I prefer a slightly longer jacket to keep my mid-section covered.

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a Cloudveil shell and an Arc'teryx shell. You can't go wrong with either one. They're both great jackets.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a few ... one hard shell (Sidewinder), one soft shell (Gamma SV), a fleece, and every day I fight the temptation to buy more. ha ha

Previous posters are correct about the sizing ... I have long arms and a short torso, and they fit me like a DREAM. But people are built differently, so even though they are great jackets, they need to fit. Kinda like ski boots, I guess.

And yes, they are constructed beautifully. I don't expect mine to ever wear out.

I generally wear my softshell under my hardshell -- and not much under the softshell. It's not built for too much layering, as Kimmyt pointed out. I bought an insulated coat last year for the really cold days (not Arc'teryx, even though they make them). But I get pretty cold unless I'm going uphill or skiing moguls -- ie, I freeze in a 15 degree down sleeping bag at 35 degrees, even when I'm wearing every piece of clothing and hat etc ... finally broke down bought a zero degree bag. So, for whatever that's worth ...

Anyway, they fit close so you can wear a pack.

IMG_1206.jpg

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have looked at the Cloudveil jackets, and they're a bit too short for me. I think the arcteryx is what I want, but I'm a bit leery of ordering it online without seeing the color in person. As one of the divas said, they are quality products that last a long time, and I don't want to get sick of the color! (and some of those colors are a bit weird, imo)

I'm also having trouble deciding between a soft and hard shell.
Any advice on which is better? With the exception of a couple of weeks, we ski in the northeast, so warmth is essential.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just get one that you can layer under and has a hood, whether it's hard or soft. The Gamma SVs aren't warm enough on their own, IMO.

schudz

Diva in Training
I have an Arcteryx softshell that's great for touring or with a few layers in-bounds. I wore it yesterday for a some slushy turns at Loveland (but hey, it's October and we're skiing in Colorado!) and I was comfy all day with varied air temp.

If fit is a real concern, as it is for most of us, check out https://beyondclothing.com/ for custom-cut jackets, pants, etc. I have a terrible time getting pants that fit and these are wonderful. You have a choice of materials and styles (add a hood, pockets where you want them, zippers, thumb loops, etc). They are not that different in price from Arcteryx.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For the NE I would definitely go with the hardshell. I tend to layer much more out here than I did when I was out west. If money at time of purchase isn't an option, I would recommend ordering two sizes and then sending the other back so that you can see what works with your baselayers. Plus the hardshells seem to have more room in the neck for layers, my softshell can get a bit chokey when I wear my wool mock turtleneck and fleece vest with it....

K.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought an Arc'teryx jacket at Backcountry Outlet this August to replace the LLBean that was cut off me when I hit the tree. I kept it, even though I am not 100% sure I like it, because of all the raves about them. The color is a two tone red if you can believe it. It's supposed to be waterproof which is what I was looking for -- we have lots of fog, which is what creates our snowghosts and while you sit on the chair you can get this coating of ice on you, then you walk in the Summit House and you're soaked. It also has this waterproof zipper that I've never had before that looks to me that it will not hold up over time. Due to my accident, I have difficulty with zippers and the hook up of the zipper is kind of difficult and it doesn't slide easily. I may need to have a friend zip me up!!!! Also it is a bit snug in the hips, which I am working on. I lost 12 pounds initially the first weeks after my accident, but then gained 20, so am trying to knock those off before ski season. Also, it has no pit zips! How can a decent ski jacket not have pit zips? So, it's a wait and see on this highly-rated jacket.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga