• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone else experience end-of-season depression?

altagirl

Staff member
Ski season really doesn't end, it just changes. I personally like my other sports too much, but we have friends that go skiing every month of the year. You just have to hike for it. Or head to South America. And it's not unusual to Snowbird to stay open until July 4th weekend. (Won't happen this year, but it happens). Even after that they run the tram all summer for sightseeing and last year they allowed people to take their skis up for lift served backcountry.

Gina23

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
my little ski bunny friends and I were discussing this... we don't really experience this because we're out rafting or hiking... we call it "cheating on skiing."

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I mountain bike and am actually getting the bug to get the bike out, but I refuse to talk about it until after my weekend in VT.

I took up golf in the past year, lessons and all. Gotta say, I've even carressed the golf bag a few times, but I just CAN'T talk about it until after my weekend in VT!!!!!

nah nah nah nah nah......I can't hear you!

Jilly

Staff member
Tremblant has posted its "Golf Links" card for this season. Its too early isn't it??

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, espcially as there are places here for summer skiing, but all too far to go for less than a week :( Things look up now I've discovered the Snowheads PSB (mid april to early Nov is much better), and Laax has a glacier that will open as soon as it can - October in a good year. We'll be spending a lot of time in Laax over te summer, however, and I'm looking forward to some excellent dog walks

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought a new kayak today, and I practiced my roll last night at the pool. There's still some skiing left, but boating season is calling.

2007Funtop-angled.jpg

abc

Banned
eng_ch said:
Things look up now I've discovered the Snowheads PSB (mid april to early Nov is much better), and Laax has a glacier that will open as soon as it can - October in a good year.

Isn't EoSB at end of April? (yes, I'm a now snowhead and would have gone but can't justify another week off so soon)

BTW, I'm always curious about summer skiing on the glacier. I'm usually too busy to ski in the summer, but there's always the curious side of me...

How does it compare to "regular" (winter) skiing? I know you can't ski back down to the village. But otherwise, is it just a little shorter elavation but otherwise good skiing? Or is it totally different?

eng_ch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
abc said:
Isn't EoSB at end of April? (yes, I'm a now snowhead and would have gone but can't justify another week off so soon)

Yes, but I can't go either :( But our local resorts are open until 15th April at least

BTW, I'm always curious about summer skiing on the glacier. I'm usually too busy to ski in the summer, but there's always the curious side of me...

How does it compare to "regular" (winter) skiing? I know you can't ski back down to the village. But otherwise, is it just a little shorter elavation but otherwise good skiing? Or is it totally different?

Hmm... the LDA glacier in Nov was real glacier ice - in places it was blue and transparent. Not the most pleasant of skiing experiences - although very good for one's technique. According to Easiski, the conditions were excellent in August though. So I guess it's a case of take your chances... The conditions didn't matter for the PSB because the company was worth the trip anyway (as you now know :smile: )

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
strangely relieved

Today was our last day and I am strangely relieved. We haven't had great snow this year and I have had a sore knee for several weeks now. So for me it will be good to take a break and maybe clean my house, go to work even would be good. I think we may even have some easy backcountry access in a few weeks, as there won't be enough snow to keep the roads closed until June. Won't that be nice.
Drive right in. We'll see if we are not to distracted with something else.

lv2ski

Certified Ski Diva
I get glum also to see the short ski season ending, especially where it just got good!. I try to think positively, and get ready for golf and a little mountain biking, but 9 mos. to wait for skiing again makes me very sad :(

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm currently experiencing "in between" depression. Our ski season is over, the bike trails are still muddy or under water, it's raining so I can't road bike or rollerblade, and it's not warm enough to be on the water yet. Ugh. :(

Oh, and Mom(skiwright) called to gloat. They went to Ski Cooper and had a great day, then yesterday she called to say she could see the Moab (the mountain biking Mecca) from where they were. :mad: She's a mean, horrible Mom. ;)

altagirl

Staff member
volklgirl said:
I'm currently experiencing "in between" depression. Our ski season is over, the bike trails are still muddy or under water, it's raining so I can't road bike or rollerblade, and it's not warm enough to be on the water yet. Ugh. :(

Oh, and Mom(skiwright) called to gloat. They went to Ski Cooper and had a great day, then yesterday she called to say she could see the Moab (the mountain biking Mecca) from where they were. :mad: She's a mean, horrible Mom. ;)

Moab's beautiful right now, but it's Jeep week. You can't even find a camping spot for miles and miles outside of town.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
family friendly

Does Moab have any good family friendly bike routes? We may be in P City for the water ramp this summer and would like to do something to extend our trip. We are more inclined to rock climbing, but I have heard wonderful stories about Moab and would like to try
doing some riding. I suppose it is easy to rent bikes? We are pretty low tech mountain bikers so probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of bringing ours.

abc

Banned
I hate to say this. But I just realize this. I'm the oddity here. Although I ski in the winter and generally enjoys the cold weather more than the hot, I"m just not crazy about skiing!

I just finish a fantastic week of skiing. And I'm glad I won't been skiing for a while!

The truth is, as much as I enjoy skiing, it's the most demanding of all my hobbies. And it accounts for over 50% of my sports injuries. So I simply can't ski beyond the "normal" season before my knee or something else in my body gives up.

I really need summer for the rest and rehab it provides. I bike a lot and it heals whatever skiing did to my knee. Had I not cycled, I probably would have had to give up skiing already. So, as much as everybody else hate to see the snow gone, I can't wait for the road to dry so I can ride.

altagirl

Staff member
Gloria said:
Does Moab have any good family friendly bike routes? We may be in P City for the water ramp this summer and would like to do something to extend our trip. We are more inclined to rock climbing, but I have heard wonderful stories about Moab and would like to try
doing some riding. I suppose it is easy to rent bikes? We are pretty low tech mountain bikers so probably wouldn't be worth the hassle of bringing ours.

There are some pretty good family trails - Gemini Bridges, Klondike Bluffs, Hurrah Pass, etc. Gemini and Hurrah are more gravel roads with great scenery and a few rocks and such here and there. Klondike is more technical and has dinosaur tracks in the slickrock as well as a cool view of the famous arches at the end. But it's not too long, and not too difficult. (The most famous trails like Slickrock, Porcupine Rim, Poison Spider, etc. are actually quite difficult, so I'd only try those if you're feeling confident after Klondike Bluffs) The only thing to keep in mind is that I'm not sure when your trip is and in the middle of summer it is HOT in Moab. You really cannot ride during the day for most of the summer. Even if you're used to exercising in 100+ degrees, there's just no shade and you just can't carry enough water to stay hydrated because it's so dry. So if you do go in summer, make sure you're up to ride before dawn and don't stay out too long.

There are also other family activities - tubing and rafting on the river, and there are some beautiful hiking trails (that actually do have a bit of shade, plus water.) And there are also the two national parks there too to keep you busy.

There are a lot of shops that rent bikes, but if you know when you're going, call ahead to reserve them. On busy weekends, they're usually sold out. slickrockcycles.com, poisonspiderbicycles.com, and chilepepperbikeshop.com are all places I'd recommend.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was wondering about the heat. I thought that may be the case.
Bummer, we're not really into hot hot.

Bella Skier

Diva in Training
I get depressed for a different reason: by the time I get off the skis (now), everyone else here on the Island on the West Coast has been cycling all winter and is peaking for race season which starts in April. I get depressed because only now am I getting in more than an average of one or two rides per month and everyone's passing me! Last week, I think I finally got in three road rides and one MTB ride.

However, as I'm not a huge fan of spring skiing (I get bored on groomers and only dream of pow), at this time of year I really look forward to cycling.

As Volklgirl said, mountain biking can give you the same rush as skiing and the trails here can be extremely technical. If you're just starting out, joining a women's group could help ease you into it.

And as Altagirl pointed out, you can learn to excel at climbing (where races are won!) and love it.

Summertime trips can help alleviate the depression, too. My hubby and I have followed the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia on our road bikes (combined with lots of wine), and taken countless mountain biking trips with friends.

Lastly, as has been pointed out, there's the southern hemisphere. I've been to Chile twice and Argentina once, and the summer cycling totally helped my shredding at altitude!

If we didn't have the break, maybe we wouldn't crave it as much...

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
breath of fresh air

It is so refreshing to hear other women say that hill climbing on a mountain bike is hard. I used to bike all the time until I got a Kayak.
Hmmm gruel up a hill or sit on your but and get wet and have fun. I have decided that I am going to start biking again this year and when I tell other women that hill climbing is hard for me they tell me it's easy, you just put your bike in a high gear and stand up. Duh!? I still think it's grueling as @!#$. But I've also come to the realization that I either do it or not continue to ski into my 40's in the same fashion I do now. The slow down hits hard and fast.
BTW I keep hearing about a leg excercise using a foam roller, I am clueless but sounds like something I need to know about.

Bella Skier

Diva in Training
Hey Gloria - climbing is easier if you put it into an easier gear and spin!

The foam roller is for your iliotibial band (down the side of your upper leg/hip) - ouch! Is that the "exercise" you're referring to?!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
low gear high gear

You mean the one with the smaller cog or whatever? I know that's the one I meant. And it's still hard. Yes the IT band ouch roller. Really bad pain, from running.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga