• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone dislocate a shoulder during the ski season???

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Has anyone dislocated a shoulder during the ski season? Asking because I did...errrrrrrr the opening day (12/09) ntm 1st injured of the season at our local mountain, Whitetail. I fell forward and had a frontal full dislocation. It was corrected within 2 hours at the local ER, No broken bones or fractures. Just muscle soreness and tendons sore. Believe it or not, my arm and shoulder have much more movement than 1 week ago. My Orthp Dr. wants me to give up the season, but I think he is asking a lot of me. Don't get me wrong, I want to get healed right too but the whole season! :eek: Just too stubborn and determined to heal. I start PT in 2 days and cant wait to start (even though I know it will be challenging n perhaps worse than the initial injury). I am optimistic and in good spirits but miss the slopes. NTM, my hubby found a place that makes state of the art shoulder braces. So I am hopeful :D

Any advise, suggestions or words of wisdom are most welcome.

PS MERRY CHRISTMAS :D

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
So sorry to hear about your shoulder, SkiBunny! No, I've never dislocated a shoulder, but giving up skiing for the season sounds pretty extreme. I'd wait and see what the PT says. The brace may do the trick (hope so, anyway).

Merry Christmas to you, too.

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Diva said:
Found a good thread on this you might want to check out on EpicSki, SkiBunny:

https://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=49022

Hope this helps.

This is great info, Thanks so very much for sharing. I really do believe there is hope for me. I feel much better! :o I am out of my sling and my range of motion makes a milestone each day. Thanks so much again! I 'll have to let you know what my PT says on Wednesday ;)

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Back to Skiing the Slopes I went

After three weeks I hit the slopes again :smile: What a great feeling!! I was a lil gun shy the first couple runs but I got my "groove thing back!" I just took it easy on stayed on some groomed greens and yea blues :p My shoulder felt good except when I had to use my right pole to pull myself in lift lines, so moreless I looked like I had a broken wing in line ;) Just wanna post this so if any other ladies hurt themselves like this. There is hope and yes with some caution you can ski again :smile: I may just leave my right pole at home next time until this shoulder is completly healed. BTW PT is going Awesome. The exercises they assign help tremendously!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Great to hear you're skiing again, Kim! The PT must be helping. Are you using a brace or are you able to ski without one?

Lilgeorg

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband had a torn rotator cuff several years ago. His advice is don't fall again and be gentle with your pole plants . He waited for his surgery until the season was over. Good Luck.;)

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Ski Diva said:
Great to hear you're skiing again, Kim! The PT must be helping. Are you using a brace or are you able to ski without one?

Thanks and yes the PT is helping. No More brace only had to wear for 2 weeks. But I have to take it easy, nothing challenging until it all heals. What I am finding out from ppl it takes a good 3 months or longer. I really cant afford to fall this early in the process. Thats why I may not use my right pole the next few times ;P

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Lilgeorg said:
My husband had a torn rotator cuff several years ago. His advice is don't fall again and be gentle with your pole plants . He waited for his surgery until the season was over. Good Luck.;)

Thanks Lilgeorg, I do have to take it easy. Yea I learned bout those pole plants....ouchy but if I take my PT seriously and dont hurt myself (another dislocation) I should heal up good. They (Dr and PT) stated Im healing very well...I just have to be patient. NTM, this is my first dislocation at 41 yrs old...doc says my chances of this happening again are pretty slim due to my age and someting with scar tissue.

Thanks again.

juliets

Diva in Training
I had did my first dislocation in Sept '05 in a pipe in New Zealand at 19 years old, luckily near the end of the Southern Hemisphere season, extremely painful and couldn't ski the rest of the season, only 1 month- has intensive PT for months.

End March '06 Northstar-At-Tahoe, took a big fall off a 35ft kicker, 2nd dislocation, 20 years old- not happy! No where near as bad 2nd time round- back in the park after 5 days with a brace on- More intensive PT.

Jan '07 in my pool at home in Sydney, Australia, 3rd dislocation!!! They'd always said it comes out easier everytime, i thought it took a bad skiing fall but no, and now i believe them! 2 MRI's and multiple surgeon visits, its open shoulder surgery for me now, conveniently scheduled in late july (our winter) so i dont miss out on Feb + March in Tahoe!!!! BE CAREFUL IF YOU'VE HAD 1 DISLOCATION BE PREPARED FOR MORE!

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Hey Juliets,

I hear ya about the shoulder dislocating easily. I ve been warned numerously from my PT and Dr. But as they said, my age is a good thing for me now (haha for once!) since its less of chance of my shoulder dislocating now than if I was in my early 20's. But I wear a special brace religiously now whenever I ski. Plus I still go to PT 2x a wk(an hr each visit), at least for another 4 weeks. They are working on seriously building my muscles now around my shoulder now versus in the 1st few weeks they were working on range of motion. But my twin brothers (step) had the same problem in their early 20s finally surgery was the only choice. But Hopefully with your surgery it will Help...but you may loose some range of motion. But Hang in there...work your ass off in PT and stay OPTIMISTIC. Technology in the field has helped and Im hopeful you'll be good as new.

Thanks for your advise and sharing your woes. I know its dishearting when one has a injury such as this. Let me know how you are doing.
Im still skiing big time but I ve noticed I have this yellow streak in me a bit. A lil bit more cautious :P

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
Ya know Someone asked if I still ski with a BRACE and Yes I do. Its pretty cool, cost a good buck, but it works great!

Check out the website. They have all kinds of other braces for Knees, wrists, groins....ect.

Tell Phil, Kim recommended you. :o

https://www.antibodywear.com/

juliets

Diva in Training
I got one of the braces i think your talking about after my first dislocation, they definately are a help, i would have had more dislocations if i didnt wear it religiously in powder + park, but my big fall off a northstar kicker even with brace on stop my shoulder! and Oh was it painful to try and get that brace off before they relocated it!! :mad:

SkiBunny

Certified Ski Diva
juliets said:
I got one of the braces i think your talking about after my first dislocation, they definately are a help, i would have had more dislocations if i didnt wear it religiously in powder + park, but my big fall off a northstar kicker even with brace on stop my shoulder! and Oh was it painful to try and get that brace off before they relocated it!! :mad:

Ouchy on trying to get that brace off with a shoulder dislocation. I know with mine, they had to cut my under armor shirt off...I just was not about to try to take that tight thing off...so I can only empathize your anger and pain with that brace on. But it does help, acts as second muscle. However, my accident happened becz Hot dog me went down this pretty crusty vertical run before my hubby. Well he was trying out new skis and in the corner of my eye I saw him fall, well I tried to turn away so I didnt get clipped by his skies but Ha his tip clipped my tail and Wham I was launched forward probably landing on my shoulder first...i tried to brace fall with my hand but the hill was like Ice marbles...it kept slidding...well you know the rest...:p

But all has been good and it took a few weekends to get my ski mojo back :rolleyes: But Im a bit cautious now...i ski very defensively now... and always let my hubby go first down hills we are just trying ...teeheehee

But Wow, thats great your playing around again and try not let your injuries stop you from having fun. Life is just way too short! :smile:

As I tell my hubby ...Have fun and make good decisions!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga