• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: anyone been on an extremely canadian course in whistler?

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
what was it like - more intense instruction or more tour? It is suposed to be level 4-6, but how extreme is it compared to normal lessons at the same level? how many students per group? reports of good and bad experiences would really be appeciated, thanks in advance

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband did it last year and it rocked his world. He came away with so many new skills. But he can't believe they say level 4's can do it--he was a 5 and he really struggled (he was the worst in his group He is definitely a high 5 now, thanks to the camp). Though he says it's possible that maybe if there are a group of 4s they'd go together and do less gnarly stuff? (He is sitting right here telling me this). He says to watch the videos the W-B site has of the class. Okay, now he is saying if you are a completely fearless and fast 4 and just want some instruction on gnarly stuff, that might be okay. But they did steeps in complete whiteout conditions--it didn't matter for the class what conditions are like, they did the hardest stuff no matter what. Even though he gained a ton of skills from it last year on our last trip when he was considering it, he decided to do a Max 4 group instead--he didn't know if he quite felt up to doing EC again. Oh and he had 4 + teacher in his group, which was the size of all the groups. Also, with EC you do apres, which you don't with Max 4.

As for the difference between EC and a Max 4 group of the same ability, apparently they did stuff in EC that the instructor said would get him fired if he were teaching a Max 4 group. Apparently, the Max 4 groups are more about tecnique, rather than just doing really hard stuff. In his Max 4 this year, which was for level 5s, they did a lot of black diamonds and they focused on technique, but they didn't do any double blacks, super hard trees or steeps, etc.

abc

Banned
So do they do a ski-off to determine level or just go by what the students self-assessment?

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thats so kind f you to give me such a comprehensive lowdown. Hmm, not sure I just want to go all out as they will think I cant ski. I am just about a 5 but not really speedy, more enjoy getting the technique right as I am pretty good at survival skiing on most doube blacks, but I want to look / feel good when I am doing them

Jilly

Staff member
Are you thinking about this for you or someone else? Roxy is for women only. It's a great camp. Blends technique with guided tour! 4 of the girls in our group were locals and we still went places they've never been.

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
for me. but I heard Roxy was as much about the social as the skiing and more a tour with tips. Social would be nice, but not a necessity. I want an intense instruction as I am useless picking up in tips, I need specific instruction and if I am not pushed I look like I can ski, so wont learn anything - just dont want pushed beyond the point where I can take in th instrction. Hope that makes sense

Jilly

Staff member
Roxy wasn't all that much social to me. But as with any "class" it depends on the coach! I would say that I clicked better with mountainxtc last year than with Cecilia this year.

Kym

Certified Ski Diva
So do they do a ski-off to determine level or just go by what the students self-assessment?

Hi there! I did the Max 4 class last week. They sort of expect you to self-assess, but then they do a quick test run to see if you ski well. I asked my instructor at the end of day 1 what they were looking for on the assessment run - and she said they mainly looked at speed...

My advice for doing Max 4 - is get there early. Although they say to meet at the flags at the roundhouse at 9.45 - they actually mean that they ski off at that moment. So get there at 9.30 so you can tell the co-ordinator what you really want out of the lesson (bumps, trees, technique). Then they really try to put you in a good class.

On the first day, due to a late bus and huge lines, my friend and I got there right at 9.45. This meant that we were just thrown into the last groups with no discussion - and we had to split up into different groups. I had an instructor who was more interested in a guided tour of the mountain with skiing tips along the way - and my friend, who is a solid level 5 - was in the group with some lower-level level 4's.

One the second day, we did what I mentioned above and got an amazing instructor called Glen. We managed to hold onto him for the next 2 days and my skiing progressed through the roof (and well off-the-piste!).

I really rate the Max4 lessons highly - but you have to really tell them what you want and then if you aren't happy - tell them that too.

Good luck!

Christy

Angel Diva
Bitofluff--I was browsing epicski just now and found this class review:
https://www.epicski.com/t/118212/extremely-canadian-steeps-clinic-review

I relayed to my husband that you ski double blacks and he thought that as long as you were up for becoming more aggressive on them, this might be just the thing.

I think Roxy Camp is social in that you do apres both days, and there is good camaraderie in groups, but it IS instruction--it's not a tour or just skiing with others of similar abilities. You are always working on something and it's really improved my skiing. My group (I've done it 3 times) always does something a lot harder than I normally do, and it's always given me a great boost of confidence and better skills on the stuff I do everyday.

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are these levels that are being discussed - i.e., level 4-6 - the same as the PSIA level categories or something different?

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, that makes more sense to me then - the US levels go to 9 and, in the US 4 is not a very high skill level to be doing some of the things it looked like they cover on their website. I am guessing the PSIA equivalents would be 6 or 7 to 9.

bitoffluff

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
oh it all sounds really good now, I want to do it all ;-) So much fun to be had - I might just flip a coin, or choose based on price and see if I can afford a day cat skiing, yeah, roll on Whistler

Jilly

Staff member
Actually its a Whistler thing. 6 levels. They have a good video on the website.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
The CSIA step program was 9 steps. Not being used that much any more.

Well, there are still nine sections (which I think kind of correspond to the "steps"). Three (bronze, silver and gold) at what they call the "Exploration" stage, three at "Adventure" and three at "Performance". You should get a copy of the CSIA Skier Progression Instructor's Guide. It spells it all out very handily. I'm sure ski schools must use something like this to set up classes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna