• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

any trail suggestions

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me and the Hubby are thinking of camping on Tripoli Road in the Whites of NH memorial day weekend. We are doing research on some hikes and wanted to know if anyone had suggestions for some good day hikes in that area.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a copy of the AMC White Mountain Guide? I can't remember exactly where Tripoli Road is, but I've done a bunch of the Whites and will check tonight when I get home.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes we have the guide... thats what we are researching with. But I was curious if anyone had done some hikes around the area and new first hand it was a good/bad hike. Tripoli road is in Plymouth

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Okay - I've done both Mt. Tecumseh and the Tripyramids, both in late fall. Tecumseh is the hill for Waterville Valley ski area; I took the trail up and then came down the ski slope. It's not a bad hike and very manageable. I sort of think it's neat being on a ski hill when there's no snow.

For the Tripyramids, there is a pretty long approach on a fire road before you get to the actual climb - I did a loop connecting the North and South peaks, climbing up the side with the scree-full rock face first. The guide recommends, and I agree, that the scree climb should not be done in the rain. It rained when I did it, and I had the misfortune of being there with someone who was not comfortable on rock in the first place. It's not a tough or technical climb by any means, but it's long and it gets slick. I do want to do the climb again; my hike was cut short by the weather and a whiny hiking partner (he complained about how he was getting cold but refused to put on a RAIN layer because he didn't want to get it wet. Really. :doh: ).

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeh we were thinking of the Tripyramids. That stinks about your hiking partner... If you hike the whites you are gonna hike in rain, thats just a fact :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey toughgirl:

As promised, here's more detail on those two peaks:

Mt. Tecumseh. Took the Tecumseh Trail from the parking lot for Waterville Valley ski area up to the summit and then back down part way, detouring out onto the ski slope. I remember it being a pretty straightforward hike up and generally unremarkable. Here are some views, one is from the summit, I think maybe, and the other is obviously from the ski slope. The summit is not bald, I remember.
mttecumsehview.jpg

MtTecumsehview2.jpg

Tripyramids.
Took the Livermore Trail to the north end of the Mt. Tripyramid Trail, and up to the summit via the north slide. Couldn't convince the hiking partner to go across the peaks to the South peak and come back down the other loop, so we went down the Scaur Ridge Trail (I'm still a little bitter about this one!). The real drag is that the access to/from the Tripyramid trail on Livermore is long and boring. The north slide route is a lot of fun under the right conditions (ie, not wet) and if you're comfortable on rock. There was a lot of loose gravelly bits, and as I wrote above, it can really get slick if the entire face is wet. This was the hike that convinced me that I needed to get trained in wilderness first aid, stat. Don't even let me get started about how annoyed I got at the hiking partner on this one! The descent via Scaur Ridge was a normal trail with much more stable and reliable footing.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the peaks in that area -- have fun!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga