• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any suggestions for easier, scenic hikes in Summit Co. or Vail Valley, CO?

Skimaven

Diva in Training
I'll be out in Colorado for the first week of June. In addition to hanging out with family, I'm hoping to meet a friend to do an easier, yet scenic day hike in Summit County or the Vail Valley. I know there's been lots of snow there this year, so maybe the upper elevations will still be snow-covered???

I'd love suggestions on trails. I'll be sucking wind because I'm coming from sea level, and my friend is not a super-experienced hiker. I'd like to keep the hike under four hours (at a slow pace) :smile:

Thanks!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try this website.

https://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/HIKES/Eaglesmere Lakes - Hiking Trail.htm

The Silverthorne visitor center (at the outlet mall) has maps.

Copper runs the Eagle lift so you can ride up and hike down. You need to buy a lift ticket unless you have a season pass.

The hike to Old Dillion dam at Dillion is nice and you can always take a walk on the bike trails (paved) around Dillion lake.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will Copper's lifts be open by then? I didn't think they re-opened them until about the 3rd week of June. Not sure, but I'd check on it before you planned on it? There is a nice hike out of East Vail on the north side of the highway. I'll see if I can get the name of the trailhead when I'm up there this weeked.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've heard good things about the Peak to Peak trail from Frisco to Breckenridge. Some use 2 cars but you'll also be able to take the Summit Stage back to your car.

Boreas Pass road has great views of Breckenridge ski area. It's open year round to hikers, skiers, snowshoes, etc. Only open in summer to cars.

If it's open there's a service road at Keystone that takes you to the Santiago lift, and up to the Outback restaurant. We rode our bikes up it last year and only made it to the Outback lift. It's not too steep and fun to see the Keystone in the summer time.

The Silverthorne Visitors center has a book with about 50 choices of trails. They will know better than me the best choice of trails to recommend based on conditions at the time you come.

Skimaven

Diva in Training
Excellent advice. Thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing Colorado's famous wildflowers. I'm also hoping that Loveland Pass is open because I'd like to sit quietly and watch the pikas up there. If you don't know what a pika is, they are really cute and shy and they only live in the highest altitudes. Actually, they are one of the animals that will soon get really squeezed by global warming. Here are some photos of them: https://www.pikaworks.com/pikas/photos.html

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first week of June at least at some point the pass should be open. And while there will likely still be snow there you can hike from the top of Loveland pass for a bit at least. I'll check on the Vail hike as well but just remember, this is mud season so you will get muddy. It takes a long time for the snow to melt and the ground to dry out.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Will Copper's lifts be open by then? I didn't think they re-opened them until about the 3rd week of June. Not sure, but I'd check on it before you planned on it? There is a nice hike out of East Vail on the north side of the highway. I'll see if I can get the name of the trailhead when I'm up there this weeked.

Booth Creek Falls? ... that's a great idea. The trail to the falls is pretty short, but going all the way to the lake is tougher (and probably not doable that early in the summer).

I always like the Clinton Reservoir area, for a super easy hike with spectacular views. Access is quick, too: it's right off the highway between Leadville and Copper on US-91.
https://www.breckenridgeclimbing.com/peaks/Clin/199809_Clint01a.jpg

Other ideas:
https://www.summitcountyexplorer.com/summithikingtrails.htm

Although the time of year will be a minor issue. Wildflowers, unfortunately you'll be too early. July is the month for that. And there will probably be a lot of snow coverage and/or mud, depending on what happens in the next month. So I would look at some of the lower hikes, probably, and try to find "real-time" information rather than just pick out of a guide. (ie, talk to one of the Nat'l Forest Service information centers when you get here, or just before).

Skimaven

Diva in Training
Got it. Believe it or not, Booth Creek is one of the very few hikes I've done near Vail. It is lovely!

As for mud, if I hated it, I wouldn't be able to hike at all in Vermont!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga