• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any reason not to get twin tips for my daughter?

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
My 9 year old is an intermediate skier. She learned when she was 6 (4 seasons), and we average maybe 4 days a season (though in her second season she probably got in 10 days). She's getting much bolder and enjoys fast (on blues), as well as the bumps in the park (not jumping yet, though I can see she would take to it; she's been ice skating year round for 2 1/2 years).

She's due to go up in size on skis, and I'm wondering if there's any reason NOT to get her twin tips yet? Like because they would be mounted in the center and that might throw her off? She can do blacks, but we didn't do any this last year, and may or may not next year (we now have my 7 year old beginner son in the mix - though a series of lessons that free us up is probably the plan for next year).

Would there be any reason not to get her twin tips? Do they have lessons where they teach them to ski backwards?

Jilly

Staff member
No reason not too. She would still be in a junior ski?

Any ski area with a park should have a program for it. It might be called park or freestyle. Roxy used to have a "girls" clinic on a Saturday, which looked like fun!

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
No reason not too. She would still be in a junior ski?

Any ski area with a park should have a program for it. It might be called park or freestyle. Roxy used to have a "girls" clinic on a Saturday, which looked like fun!

Thanks! Any recommendations on a ski? I’d like to get her a girl-designed one since these might be around for a couple of years and Im not going to worry about passing them down to her brother. Also, lighter weight since she’s only 53” and maybe 57 lbs.

I see something like the volkl pyra on eBay, but these have a wood core, so I’m assuming those are going to be heavier than comparable ones, right?

Thoughts on k2 missy? I think those generally come in girl appealing graphics.

Thanks

Jilly

Staff member
Junior skis are not made gender specific like the adults. So it's just the graphics. The Missy is a cap construction which most junior skis do. Yes, wood core will make any ski heavier. Though wood core last longer than a foam core. If she's hitting any rails, the cap construction doesn't last as long as a built sidewall. But most junior skis don't have them.

Don't forget that some of the freestyle skis have the turned up tail but are not park specific. Ski Essentials has a great package deal on last years Rossi Temptation junior. Ski, poles, boots..

lljc00

Certified Ski Diva
I can’t imagine her doing rails anytime soon - mostly just for the ability to ski backwards. So any ski with a turned up tail (not explicitly “twin tip”) is good enough for backwards skiing? Are those spec’d as tail=flat or should I be looking for something different in the terminology?

cvana

Certified Ski Diva
Twin tips are lots of fun in the moguls, woods, etc. My daughter loves them,, and has no interest in park skiing. Very slippery (good!) in tight situations. And wood core skis tend to be lighter than most.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not all twin tips are center-mounted. There are directional twin tips, e.g. and some have two different mounting points.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lljc00 My vote is for Volkl Pyra or similar. Great ski for that age. Mount at recommend line and will be a fun all mountain ski. True Center is +4 I believe.

KBee

Angel Diva
Kids love them. No reason not to, lots of reasons to go for it. My 11 year old loves his used rental K2 twin tips, and will probably get 40 to 50 days out of them. I wouldn't over think skis for recreational skiers who are still growing.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I personally feel that all skis are alike. It's all about the length!! If you want quick turns go short, if you want speed go long.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a pair of line honeybee and I am 51.
I am just a easy cruiser and like line.
I personally feel that all skis are alike. It's all about the length!! If you want quick turns go short, if you want speed go long.
Welcome! What region to you usually ski?

I happen to enjoy free demo days. Have managed to do 2-3 per season in recent years after learning about the concept of demo'ing skis from online ski forums. Learned early on that even as an intermediate I could tell the difference between skis of different designs that were the same length. As I became an advanced skier, could tell the difference even for the same length and width.

In any case, the OP was asking about skis for a 9yo. Very different than choosing skis for an adult.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I ski Vermont and NH. This year I will do day trips because of my job schedule.Monday, Wednesday and Fridays off. I am going to try to hit Cannon this year.

Susan 76

Certified Ski Diva
I joined the A&E ski club. They have excellent benefits on lift tickets. I highly recommend them and you don't have to live in Connecticut to belong and receive the amazing discounts

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna