• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any freestyle skiiers?

After a taste of a baby terrain park last season (my second season of skiing) at Okemo at a WAA clinic, I'm determined to get into the park. I've got the twin tips now and have been learning to ski backwards and spin. Later this month I'm going to take some freestyle lessons at Stratton when I can get away mid-week.

It would be great if Okemo or another local resort ran a freestyle clinic for women (2 days Thurs./Fri.) as part of the WAA program. Most of the park rats could be my children and on weekdays I never see girls or women in the park.

Any women out there, especially in the 35-55 range who are freestyling it here in New England? Or elsewhere? Ideas? Suggestions?:cool:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ummmm, no.

I haven't seen any women in our terrain parks older than ahhhhh 17, maybe? (Except SnowHot, who's determined to learn to do a heli this year ;) ). I've been practicing "butter" (on-the-snow) moves - 360s and 720s in both directions, tip and tail slides, and some backwards skiing, but my one and only foray onto the baby rail lead to a snagged edge and me landing spread-eagled, face down on the ground, minus skis, right in front of my 8yr old student :o . The first thing out of his mouth at the end of the lesson? "Dad, Dad, the teacher fell flat on her face!!!" Boy was he excited! And Dad thought it was hilarious. Oh well, it resulted in a big tip :p ! I am trying to get into the pipe this year, though.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
We spent some time in the tiny park they have at Solitude, mostly trying to go sideways on the box. I was not successful. :smile: I'd like to learn more freestyle stuff, but for now all I've got is small jumps, 360's (on the snow) in 1 direction, and riding boxes forwards. :smile:

It's not something I'm really spending a lot of time on because I'm kind of afraid of getting injured, but whenever we find ourselves somewhere that has a small park we generally spend an hour or two trying something new.

I'm 26, btw.

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 40, and have taken a few runs through the terrain park. Mostly out of boredom and wanting to try something new. I've done a few small jumps and a baby box (forward).
I have the twin-tipped Pocket Rockets, but they mostly get used for powder and off-piste skiing, where the whole hill is a terrain park. :p

Solomon? I was hoping to demo the Scarlet twin tips when I'm in Big Sky this weekend, but they don't even carry them in the shops there which surprised me.

Jilly

Staff member
Well I'm not a twin tip skier, but I'll add them to my list as a ski to try on the flat stuff. Dealer demo days - 2 days to try everything for next year , too many skis, not enough time.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ski now work later said:
Solomon? I was hoping to demo the Scarlet twin tips when I'm in Big Sky this weekend, but they don't even carry them in the shops there which surprised me.

If they have Volkls, see if you can give the Karma or Kaya or Aura a try. We're eagerly awaiting someone's report on the Kaya or Aura!!

I've got the Kayas and I love them, but they're softer and more suited for slower skiing and the park. I've thought about the Auras, but I really want to try a bigger twin tip powder ski.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on my first season of skiing (I'm 22), and I haven't gotten a try at the terrain park. One of my goals for this season is to make some attempts at (and maybe succeed!) learning to ski switch.

juliets

Diva in Training
Im a very keen freestlye skiier and have been a park rat for 6 yrs now (im almost 22). I did my NZSIA Park & Pipe Coaches course in Queenstown, NZ in '05 and it was a fantastic way to progress and be able to teach if i wanted to. I think its great more females are starting to get into such a male dominated part of skiing. The park can be extremely dangerous if you don't know what your doing (and if you do!)- even if you havn't had lessons in years its good to get a few freestyle ones then go and practise on your own. I know too many people who are excellent at park and have been seriously injured, some beyond full recovery. Ill be out next season thanks to a shoulder reconstruction due to the park and pipe!:eek:

Jilly

Staff member
Of interest - Are any resorts charging extra to use a snow park (new tech term here in Canada!) Tremblant has a special ticket for one of its 2 parks. The 1/2 pipe isn't included. This park is for elite riders. So is any one else out there charging extra??

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga