• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Another longform ski article

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for sharing. At first, before reading, I thought to myself, what I always think, let people do what they need to do to feel alive. I still stand by that, but the article brought up such interesting points, like the danger the team is also exposed to that surrounds the star athlete.

I know many athletes who have died doing their sport. Sometimes I think that most of us need an escape and for some extreme risk provides the same outlet that drugs or alcohol or any other dangerous pattern. I still like to think that the experience adds enough to the life lived to justify the risk of dying or permanent injury.

Unlike driving a little too fast or looking at the phone and taking out strangers, the participants, even the auxiliary crew know the risks very well and made the conscious choice to participate.

Our own love of skiing, though controlled and recreational at commercialized resorts, places patrol at great risk to prepare the slopes for our enjoyment. I keep that in my mind too as our presence in most daily activities has an impact or potential for impact on other people's lives.

I have seen extreme athletes in my home mountain town slow down after kids, but also seen others up the ante even more. Mothers and fathers have died and many call them selfish. I refrain from that judgment as tempting as it is. Most of us don't hold poor eaters or non exercising parents to the same standard or berate their unhealthy choices that same way.

I do think hearing about he thoughts and decisions extreme athletes make, as this article does, is important though. They are the models used in the ever more powerful media and marketing campaigns. I wish more stories would accompany the perfect images and videos that sell us on the fun of risky activities.

I thought the final paragraph was telling when he mentions not wanting to ski 8000 meter peaks, especially in light of Hilaree Nelson's recent death under exactly that scenario.

Jenny

Angel Diva
I found the whole article just kind of a fascinating look at a world that is completely foreign to me.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have seen extreme athletes in my home mountain town slow down after kids, but also seen others up the ante even more. Mothers and fathers have died and many call them selfish. I refrain from that judgment as tempting as it is.
Not that my husband is in the same league as these athletes but he did a lot of ski mountaineering before we had our son, he climbed and skied off many of our highest peaks over here in NZ but he decided once we were parents that he just wasnt going to take those risks anymore, we've actually got a picture of him on a ski/mo trip high up in the depths of the Southern Alps with his ski tips hanging over a seriously exposed line and that was trip he decided "no more" and put his family first.
Its a hard to call to make and I for sure wouldnt judge anyone else but he decided to rein it in and both myself and my son are thankful for it.
Now that our son is older (23) he's pushing the envelope a little more again and as I said to him "these next few years could be your last chance as you are not getting any younger so go for it". He's keeping it a lot more conservative now though.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@AJM In a way he is lucky as his income was not dependent it seems on his adventuring. Being able to adjust as needed is a nice choice to have. Love.ypur encouragement!

• Love
Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@AJM In a way he is lucky as his income was not dependent it seems on his adventuring. Being able to adjust as needed is a nice choice to have. Love.ypur encouragement!
I guess when its your livelihood it makes a world of difference. Thankfully DH is a humble builder and all his adventures were on a purely amateur level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna