• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

An eventful weekend...

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So this past weekend was very eventful. Those of you who've seen my posts in the gear forum about my boots know that the slop boots finally came to a head, but that was only part of it.

First things first DH and I picked up our passes for next year - Threedom - which are good to ski the rest of this season. This means we can ski at Bretton Woods, Cranmore and Waterville Valley. So we'll be trying to get a lot of skiing in for the rest of this season. So we got the passes and skiied on Saturday at BW which I'm really coming to like. It was a really good day overall despite the slop boots. I figured out how to position my feet in those boots to get the max out of them - not great but it made it possible for me to ski longer and harder on Saturday. I also learned that the reason I wasn't able to lay back as much on my AC3s (sure I know they don't like laid back skiing but they should let me do it occasionally) was completely boot related. The condition was interesting and I just had a really good day. Felt really good on my form and charged through some different terrain and felt good in it. This included bumped up powder on the sides of runs (although it was getting between powder and mashed in texture at some points) - DH usually leads but in one section of this stuff he let me take off and I was just flying. Letting my body be relaxed and when I got bounced a little just rolling with it. Nice aggressive form just reaching down the hill. I felt great. DH even said he felt like he had to work to keep up with me there. :smile: Boy I love my skis! Then we did some other skiing around - DH is much more adventuresome since he got his properly fitting boots and now that he's got good skis - upgraded to ones a proper length - he's really going further on the mountain which is good because it pushes me. So we went off and tried the Blue glade. I'm always freaked by the idea of glades but a coworker told him he really should try it so we did - I got in there and was skiing along and going "hey I can ski this". I know it' was only a blue glade but it really wasn't as difficult or scarey as I thought. Next time we go find a diamond glade or two (provided there is still adequate snow cover!). Then we get out and there's a choice between taking a relaxed blue trail back to base or doing a diamond - DH chooses diamond. I'm now (from having done a few) getting to them and going "hey I CAN ski that" and just having a blast. I just feel like I had a really good ski day. I also got more of a feel for my AC3s. Had a couple places wehre I could just put them on edge and let them run like they want - and wow. Like ZZOOOOOOMMM! When I let them carve the bigger turns fully they're like a little sports car - usually traffic on the trails prevents me from really letting them run in the turns so that was really cool. It was just a great day of skiing. I feel like I had one of those big "jump ahead in skills/confidence" days which was awesome. We planned to ski Sunday so we called it a day earlier than we might have to save energy for skiing again.

By now the boot issue was coming to a head. DH was convinced I needed new boots - I was too but figured I might be out of luck. He had a complaint about his boots so we went to visit his boot fitter to get that resolved and then once again asked about boots for me - see my "Boot Dilemma" thread for details on that experience. Basically came down to this boot fitter could not or would not help me. So we gave some thought to what to do - poked around online to see if I could find that thread that used to exist on Epic/AlpineZone of recommended boot fitters to no avail and continued to ponder what to do that night.

Next day wake up to ski - "ooo where did these sore muscles come from?". I knew I had pushed myself on Saturday but didn't think I'd pushed that hard. Oh well shake it off and we head over to Cranmore to ski - already had concluded that this would be the last time we'd ski there this season. Get to the mountain and it's more crowded than we've seen it before in the parking lot - turns out there was a HS championship going on so many of the cars were spectating. We get on the slopes - we'd had our skis waxed overnight - and the condition is miserable very waterry mashed potatoes. Well in complete opposition to the previous day my skiing is just not quite right. I just can't get in a rhythm and my posture feels wrong, etc. May jsut have been a combination of the sore muscles, the nasty condition, the wax on the skis making them want to zoom away, and the nasty crowds of snow plowers on trails not suited to them. Either way it was just an off day so we called it quits early.

DH convinces me to stop at a ski shop on the way home to see what they may have to offer. Go in and explain the bad boots that I know they're too big and that I prolly need a 23.5. The guy listens to this, also what type of skiing I'm doing/want to do, measures and examines my feet and brings out a couple of boots. The boots were a Saloman Idol 8 and a Tecnica either Attiva M8 or Flame. He put me in the technica first - it felt a lot better than my old boots but I felt like my forefoot had too much wiggle room side to side and up and down. So he has me keep that on while putting the Idol8 on my otherfoot. Wow this fits nice and around my foot perfectly. The length (a 23!) fits perfectly and my forefoot doesn't have much play. I can wiggle my toes up and down and scrunch them up if I try but nothing side to side. No pain either. So we scratch the Technica and put on the other boot and I clomp around the store a bit. So long story short(er), after I get over the concept that I'm going to be spending more on my boots than DH (guess that Salomon just costs more than Dalbello) I take the plung and get new boots. They did the heat fit for the liners on the spot and adjusted my bindings at no charge. This store sold langes, salomons, nordicas, dalbellos, and tecnicas so there was a good range of boots - guess I just have a salomon shaped foot.
I'm a bit nervous but excited to try out the new boots. In the mean time I will be scaring the kitties this week as I clomp-clomp-clomp around the house in my new boots to break them in. Now it Mother Nature will only cooperate so I can try them out on Saturday...

(yeah sadly the only thing I don't like about the boots is the color. I ended up with the white/red color version as opposed to the black and gold one. I know it's superficial but they just don't go as well with my skis! However I guess if that's the biggest beef I have....)

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hooray, persee! :clap: It was definitely "your turn!" Hope they work out great! Also, congrats on the Threedom Pass! I think most of the places should hang in there with what's forecast, doesn't look too awful/bad yet. BW is known for hangin' in there late, and spring skiing there can be a total blast. (love the views from there also)

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a good thing!!! A very good thing!

Solincia

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hoorah! I'm glad to hear you got boots that fit, especially after reading the troubles you were having with that bootfitter!

And it's okay to be superficial... we're human, we're woman, we like things a certain way! My boots are grey and white... I wanted them black, gold, and silver... but hey, that's okay! They fit well and work well!

Your pants will cover most of them anyway!!:thumbsup:

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, this is a good thing. And
Your pants will cover most of them anyway!!
Fit is more important. If they are not comfortable, then YOU won't be skiing in them!!

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
True on the whole fit thing. I just wanted to find the Idol8 in the Black and Gold color. But the store/fitter only had the white/red color. So alas. My skis and boots will now be a nice american flag type color combo. I'm now anxious to get home and clomp around in them while making dinner. I think I would have weirded out my coworkers far too much if I brought them to work to clomp around in! :D

And despite the fact taht my muscles are still sore I want weekend to be here again so I can go ski more!:ski2:

NannyMin

Banned
I'm so happy for you persee! Well fitted boots make a huge difference in how you ski. I will be looking forward to your next TR!

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
yep, glad you got new boots. Sounds like you got some that fit well too.

Now about that Threedom Pass. IF (and it's a BIG if....), I were to finally be able to move to NH before next season, I'm torn between Threedom or New England which is Loon, Sunday River and Sugar Loaf.

so many decisions.... :noidea:

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snoqueen

We went with the Threedom because it gives us 3 areas that are all a reasonable drive. SL is just too far a drive unless we're up further in Maine for a purpose other than skiing. Then there's Loon and SR which are both far too insane (for us) to ski on weekends which makes the NE pass a poor match for us. We've been to BW on weekends and found the crowds not to be an issue. Cranmore will always hold a special place for me as that is where I learned to ski and most weekends we know where to go to get away from any crowds they might have. Also North Conway is a great town. We've yet to ski WV but looking forward to it - not sure if we'll get there this year - depends on Mother Nature.

On another topic still trying to break in the boots - I clomped around for 30 minutes. Still a bit tight - my feet feel a bit cool, not numb but maybe lightly tingly. I think I'm finding the trick to adjusting them to resolve this. The one hot spot I had when trying them on was eliminated with the heat fit. I have no pain just this little bit of possible circulation thing. I'm probably over analyzing, but I'll keep clomping them everynight this week to try to be sure things are good and if not it will be off to revisit the bootfitter to say "resolve this!"

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've had the numbing of the feet thing, with my last 2 pairs of boots. I know I can correct it by readjusting my buckles, but never understood the cause. My DH has new boots that he just got fitted (Jack Frost at Sunday River is fabulous, btw) and they told him there that it's the top of your foot that causes the numbness - there's a big vein there that can get squeezed by buckling too tight. That's the 2nd buckle (on my boots at least).

I'm a volkl ski/slalom boot skier. Great combo for me at least. I just bought the volkl AC30s a couple weeks ago, have only a half day on them...but love them so far. Definately zoomers if you muscle them right, they were wonderful in the bumps - my last volkls were stiffer and made me work harder. You can have full confidence in the volkls...never feel like those skis will let me down, I have never popped a binding at the wrong time. Glad to hear another woman likes them - I feel so safe at high speed with them.

Congrats on the new boots. They are such a weak link in your sking (IMO) if they don't fit right - you'll see a huge improvement with the greater control.

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go for the SR/SL/Loon combo. I'm a dedicated SR skier, and for the length of the season, variety of terrain and ability to spread out skiers it's an incredible deal. Although I haven't skied SL or Loon for years, we are at SR after years of sking all over NE b/c of what it has to offer. Only getting better with the new owners.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
New Boot Update...

So I clomped around in the boots again last night - definitely my cold/numbness was being caused by what i call Buckle#3 (the one over my instep). I loosened that up and things started getting better. By the time I was in them for 35ish minutes my left foot was totally happy, and my right was close. Now I know that I need to tighten up the buckles a little so they don't pop undone on bumps but I was able to start tightening things down micro adjustwise after the 40 minute mark and kept them on comfortably another 10 beyond that. So I think we're making good progress on the break-in. Of course the real test will be Saturday... but they'll be on my feet again tonight as I make dinner, do laundry, etc

I cant' wait to get out on the slopes in these!!!!! :ski2:

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is really great Persee. I, too, have boot problems very similar to yours and you've inspired me to work through it and go to a boot fitter. Yes, that buckle over the instep was what was causing my numbness too and thanks to posters on this forum, it's much better becasue I knew what I needed to do. But I still need new boots.

Did you get a sale??

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Sounds like this is coming along really nicely, persee! Yeah, watch that instep buckle. We had a thread going awhile back that discussed this and the importance of not "clamping" down. Do you have footbeds/orthotics? You've probably mentioned, but I've forgotten.

Congrats on the Threedom! I have always wanted to try Bretton -- hope we're able to meet up there sometime! I need an excuse to get myself to other places. Walked around it last Sept and was very impressed.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope. No orthotics for me - I don't have any for any of my shoes and generally my feet aren't very fussy. We'll see down the road but so far my feet seem ok with the standard foot bed.

As for BW we'll be skiing there lots and lots next year so feel free to meet up. I've had a great time both times we've been this season and I'm grinning ear to ear while reading the winter storm warning statements and looking at the radar - we'll be skiing saturday. Neither DH nor I can take Friday off from work or we would!

Jilly

Staff member
The bootfitter that SkiMave and I used this year had an interesting thought. The foot part of the boot should not be tight. It should wrap and hold. The ankle part of your boot should be tight. This is so different from what I'm used to with the old boot that really didn't bend. And I've found that he is right. I need to buckle the ankle buckles tighter than the foot buckles. In my old boots, I didn't even do up the top buckle, just the power strap.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ You beat me to it, Jilly. We should also put in our 2 cents about Superfeet insoles. What I was told is that if instep buckles are in need of tightening, the lack of support is from BENEATH, not above - and that getting the foot properly supported from beneath with a good footbed eliminates all buckle cranking needs. And, of course, they were right. Mine are on the loosest buckle over the instep, just to keep them closed. Made a huge difference. From someone who did the boot fitting agony for 20+ years. Not since those Superfeet Cork insoles!!! :yahoo:
DH was so impressed by my instant lack of boot issues, he got them 2 years later. We are both using our originals.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well I guess the issue right now is that when I first got things comfy last night Buckle#3 was so loosely fastened that I was concerned it might pop open/undone on bumps. And to be honest the boot doesn't feel tight on my foot at all (even when it's fastened and causing the circulation issue), so I think there's just a spot in the liner that sometimes puts pressure on the exact wrong spot that leads to said problem. This is not to say that my foot is swimming just feels nice and cozy in there. I feel pretty confident in this belief and the fact that if I can't completely fix it with buckle adjustments that the bootfitter should be able to do something to the liner to make it stop pressing there. Does this sound reasonable?

YEAH!!!!!!! I'm glad these worked out for you! Just in time for LOVELAND!!!!! :cheer:

Well I guess the issue right now is that when I first got things comfy last night Buckle#3 was so loosely fastened that I was concerned it might pop open/undone on bumps. And to be honest the boot doesn't feel tight on my foot at all (even when it's fastened and causing the circulation issue), so I think there's just a spot in the liner that sometimes puts pressure on the exact wrong spot that leads to said problem. This is not to say that my foot is swimming just feels nice and cozy in there. I feel pretty confident in this belief and the fact that if I can't completely fix it with buckle adjustments that the bootfitter should be able to do something to the liner to make it stop pressing there. Does this sound reasonable?

Yes! Sounds reasonable to me! :clap:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga