• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Am I crazy?

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Divas!

Well, this is my second full season of skiing and I made it down my very first black diamond run ever! :bounce:

Quick question; do any of you say anything out loud sometimes-- for example a word, mantra, nonsense-- to help remind you to turn when encountering steep stuff?

Anyway, I noticed that doing this helped me get down that black diamond slope without falling. Thankfully, there was no one else on the slope nearby :loco:.

What's your opinion on this?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read your thread title and all I could say is "yes?". :wink::laugh:

But.... the answer to your query is "Yup!"
There have been several discussions where we've admitted to talking to ourselves, yelling at ourselves, or singing out loud while tackling difficult conditions.

Many, many, many of us here do this!

Christy

Angel Diva
I had a teacher who encouraged us to find a song with good rhythm and sing it outloud. That was we were learning to use poles.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ha! Absolutely not crazy!* Chat/sing away! Do whatever helps. You will have a LOT of company :D Congrats on your milestone - it's a big one!! :thumbsup:

*but are you asking us to reveal our respective nonsense phrases or songs??? :eek::fear:

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
after the camp i did in february i realized how important keeping my hands up and forward was to my balance so I chant "hands forward hands forward!" to myself on tough runs. It really helps! Hopefully ill be able to do it internally eventually. :p

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh yeah. I sing, cuss at myself, cheer myself on, etc. Pequenita has actually heard me cuss at myself! :ROTF:

Jilly

Staff member
I was counting bumps today. Usually it's music, but today needed just plain counting.

Nothing wrong with it, just do it!

plainjane

Certified Ski Diva
What helps me is not spending time standing there and staring down a steep run for too long. My key thoughts are "just go for it" and "be aggresssive"!

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to struggle in moguls. A had a moguls lesson a few years ago and remember my instructor telling me to think of moguls as my friends. It made me giggle and I just learned so much that day.

Now if I'm standing on a mogul run about to go down and feel a bit apprehensive, I think of moguls being my friends, just as my instructo said in the past. It makes me smile and relax and I feel less tense starting to ski down. Something so simple, but it helps me no end!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
in my women's clinic, when skiing the steeps, we did a little drill consisting of 'mooning' and 'flashing'.

when going down, moon, then stand up and 'flash the Wasatch' and then moon and so on.

Today, when going down a bowl, I found myself saying 'down and moon', 'up and flash', 'down and moon', and so on.

whatever gets you down and makes it fun---do it!!!!! :boxing::boxing:

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ha! Absolutely not crazy!* Chat/sing away! Do whatever helps. You will have a LOT of company :D Congrats on your milestone - it's a big one!! :thumbsup:

*but are you asking us to reveal our respective nonsense phrases or songs??? :eek::fear:

Thanks for the kind words :smile:. I'm still all giddy about it and hopefully will be able to do it again on Sunday!

If you'd like to share some of the things you say or sing, cool, and if you'd prefer not to share then that's cool too :D.

I'm enjoying and learning from reading everyone's responses so far. Thanks!

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations on going on your first black run! No you are not crazy! I sometimes do the same thing when things are hard. At the beginning of the season I used to count 1, 2, 3,4 and turn on 4 for better flow. I also would say "edge, edge" or "believe in your skis"
on steeper terrain.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
I don't have a mantra, exactly. . . but I do tell myself (sometimes out loud ::blush::smile: to "strap on my ovaries" when I am about to do something that scares me a little, and I am hesitating.

I also kinda' yodel and sometimes sing when there's powder.
::more blushing::

And I cuss at myself when I am sucking for no good reason.
:redface:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
in my women's clinic, when skiing the steeps, we did a little drill consisting of 'mooning' and 'flashing'.

when going down, moon, then stand up and 'flash the Wasatch' and then moon and so on.

Today, when going down a bowl, I found myself saying 'down and moon', 'up and flash', 'down and moon', and so on.

THIS I have to try. I love it! :laugh:

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used the phrase "you can do it Duffy Moon" since I saw a TV movie as a kid. Duffy Moon chants this to himself in a singsong voice, I remember nothing else about the movie. It makes me smile because it reminds me of my ten year old self watching TV with my younger brother, and it's been my mantra in many circumstances.

Of course I've just had to google before writing this to find out it was an after school special called "The amazing cosmic awareness of Duffy Moon". The kid has a book that encourages him to "THINK BIG" and gives him coping techniques.

Tammy

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I read your thread title and all I could say is "yes?". :wink::laugh:

But.... the answer to your query is "Yup!"
There have been several discussions where we've admitted to talking to ourselves, yelling at ourselves, or singing out loud while tackling difficult conditions.

Many, many, many of us here do this!

I think it could be argued by some that a small level of insanity is a prerequisite for downhill skiing or snowboarding :wink:. This is what keeps it amazing and incredibly addictive for me though :D.

Anyway, thanks again for all of your responses-- I've added a few more mantras to my list!

Cheers,

-T

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga