• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alterra to acquire Schweitzer

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Alterra Mountain Company has entered into an agreement to purchase Schweitzer, Idaho, from owner and developer MKM. The transaction is expected to close later in 2023 and is subject to closing conditions such as regulatory approvals.

Here's the full scoop.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Schweitzer joined the Ikon pass as a Partner in 2021-22. Won't be much difference for travelers for 2023-24.

With Red Mountain also on Ikon, that makes a flight to Spokane more tempting for people with a passport. I noticed several years ago that Southwest flies to Spokane. Something to think about.

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alterra is apparently making promises to keep Schweitzer as is (but everyone knows what that means!) & the current management team will reportedly remain in place, so one might be cautiously optimistic. HOWEVER, a plan is reportedly in place to add an additional 1400 parking spots on mountain!! This is a mountain with probably only 300 spots currently, and it's 9 miles up a 2-lane steep winding access road. 140 spots would be much more appropriate, but 1400 sounds like an absolute nightmare, potentially enough to make me sell my forever home.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Alterra is apparently making promises to keep Schweitzer as is (but everyone knows what that means!) & the current management team will reportedly remain in place, so one might be cautiously optimistic. HOWEVER, a plan is reportedly in place to add an additional 1400 parking spots on mountain!! This is a mountain with probably only 300 spots currently, and it's 9 miles up a 2-lane steep winding access road. 140 spots would be much more appropriate, but 1400 sounds like an absolute nightmare, potentially enough to make me sell my forever home.
Yikes!!! That is a huge increase!

Would you say that current lesson prices are reasonable? I noticed that the cost of adult group lessons and similar products increased significantly after Alterra bought Sugarbush.

The biggest change I noticed at Sugarbush post-acquisition is significantly greater skier volumes. Not sure how big the Spokane market is and if it’s popular to have a weekend ski condo/house near the mountain?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can tell you it won't go well unless they do something to limit capacity...which sucks for the locals who have been there. I'm speaking from experience due to what's happened at Snowbasin.

I groaned a little when I saw this news that Alterra had bought Schweitzer. Such a cool mountain with a Grand Targhee vibe. I think you can kiss that goodbye.

mustski

Angel Diva
Hasn’t Schweitzer already been on the Ikon for a couple of years? Has that increased crowds?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965