• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta Successfully Defends Right to Keep Snowboarders Out

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am just reading this thread for the first time and a few things pop out to me:

S.O. is a snowboarder and, despite the many traverses, I know he would love Alta because if its natural terrain. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that mentioned Alta taking out its terrain parks because of all the natural terrain, and I can totally see that. I've only skied there two days in different years, but noticed that there are lots of fun kickers and lips and stuff that are unique to a lot of resorts, so I totally get the appeal. Also it's like a forbidden fruit thing...

The class of persons thing is interesting. I think the general population conflates "classes of people" and "protected classes," so I guess I am not surprised that a group of people are trying to use this confusion to their advantage.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am just reading this thread for the first time and a few things pop out to me:

S.O. is a snowboarder and, despite the many traverses, I know he would love Alta because if its natural terrain. There is a thread somewhere on this forum that mentioned Alta taking out its terrain parks because of all the natural terrain, and I can totally see that. I've only skied there two days in different years, but noticed that there are lots of fun kickers and lips and stuff that are unique to a lot of resorts, so I totally get the appeal. Also it's like a forbidden fruit thing...
I'm guessing, but the terrain park built on the Albion side over ten years ago was probably a late season experiment in a bad snow year. I found a TGR archive from 2004. As noted in a Newschoolers thread from April 2016, there is usually a few pretty big jumps over on Wildcat in the expert terrain. Not a natural kicker, a full jump built with a shovel or two. Always fun to watch people take the traditional jump during late season when riding up Collins.

altagirl

Staff member
I think it was an interesting experiment, but no one used it. I ran through it a few times - I mean hey, when else are you going to have a terrain park to yourself? And then was like meh. It's just not my thing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My impression is that the folks who are jumping off kickers and the big late season jumps are mostly locals. A traveler who likes park would be much more likely to go to Park City after flying to SLC.

Got to watch a bunch of tweens one Saturday at Alta. They were behind us on the Wildcat lift making lots of noise. We stopped to watch them take a jump. There was one girl. When she took off, a young boy was sure she wouldn't make it. I think the other boys knew better. They didn't seem surprised when she landed her jump just fine. The young boy, perhaps 9 or 10, was impressed.

Locals who like park go to Brighton. Cheaper season pass and lights for night skiing. Alta isn't losing any business by not having a formal terrain park.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna