• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alta Improvement Plans

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Alta's long had a special place in the hearts of many skiers, many of whom like it just the way it is. I saw on line that there are plans for a number of changes to the mountain's infrastructure, including a tram to the top of Mount Baldy (for highlights of the proposed changes, go here). What do you think? Pros and cons?

altagirl

Staff member
edited for additional info:

Apparently the new tram is so that patrol can do avy control that way vs. the current method of shooting artillery at it.

Which sounds like a reasonable reason to me.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
The plans were covered as the Master Development Plan update that was sent to the Forest Service by Alta in 2012. The difference is that in Dec 2015 Alta sent more details for specific projects within the MDP with the hopes of eventual approval. The Proposed Action document that is linked in the Snowbrains article was published in early April, as promised and is actually written by the Forest Service. For most of the items, the expectation is that approval will happen after environmental impact studies and other required assessments are complete. Could take a year or more.

What I would like to know more about is the replacement for Cecret and Supreme. The proposal is for one detachable quad with an angle station that goes along the first part of Cecret and then turns to head up to top of Supreme. Certainly hope there would be mid-station unloading so that beginners could still enjoy the terrain around Cecret.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
edited for additional info:

Apparently the new tram is so that patrol can do avy control that way vs. the current method of shooting artillery at it.

Which sounds like a reasonable reason to me.

Where do you see that? The Snowbrains article is pretty thin.

The terrain off the top of Baldy is suitable for so few skiers that a tram up there certainly seems silly.

marzNC

Angel Diva
The article is based on the Proposed Action document written by the Forest Service that is starting the NEPA review process. It was made available in April 2016. The initial request for the specific projects within the Alta Master Development Plan (MDP) was submitted in Dec 2015. The last MDP update was in 2012. It included the idea of a small tram on Baldy for use by ski patrol.

In the Proposed Action document, the tram on Baldy is listed under Avalanche Control, not under “new lift." A key point is that it would allow retirement of the Howitzer. Also a couple of Avalauchers. Even allowing skiers who aren’t ski patrol to use the tram is considered related: "Skier compaction is also an effective tool in avalanche control.”

There are a fair amount of times when Main Street (groomed blue) has to be closed because of avalanche danger off Baldy. I would guess that if ski patrol could get on Baldy without hiking, they could complete control work quicker. Sometimes it takes a few days before work can be completed after a powder storm.

I remember there is a rope tow at the top of Bridger that is only for ski patrol use. Presumably the same idea. A lot quicker for patrollers to get to the top to do control work every morning.

altagirl

Staff member
Where do you see that? The Snowbrains article is pretty thin.

The terrain off the top of Baldy is suitable for so few skiers that a tram up there certainly seems silly.

Yeah, info is from my husband, not the article. He works with senior management up there on occasion and they had discussed it.

Apparently they've been trying to get away from the need for artillery for a while now. Skier access is secondary. You are right in that not that much of it is skiable by typical skiers and it's usually closed for avy danger anyway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga