• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All these talk about the start of skiing season...

abc

Banned
It's nearly 60 today so I went out for a long bike ride. Ok, a little looong ride, about 100 miles worth! :smile:

I've only started doing centuries this season. A few weeks back I did my first 100. It was hilly and hard. I was toasted at the end.

But I have this little crude map that shows a portion (most of it) of a loop that the author swear is flat as it gets up here (Litchfield/Berkshire). For those who knows the area, this is usually consider "hill country", so how can one put together 100 miles of "flats"??? :confused: To say I was skeptical was an under-statement!

I checked out a portion of it about a month back, and it was indeed not too hilly. So I decided to do the whole loop, self-supported and with only a rough map! It's more fun with a bit of un-known, you know...

In the morning, the sun was out! Though a bit chilly, the forecast was for the high of upper 50's or even reaching 60! Light wind and no threat of rain whatsoever. This kind of weather doesn't come this late in the summer so I throw everything in the trunk last night for an early start today. Daylight is limited, so I'd better get an early start and ride fast! :cool:

I drove the short drive to the spot to park my car and jumped on my bike... and promptly went the wrong way! :doh: By the time I found out about my mistake, I've already added another 5 miles! :( So I decided to skip a couple of the short little "loopies" to shorten the original loop so it would in the end come out to be about 100 whne I reach my car.

Lond story short, I did the 100 mile easily. It was indeed quite flat. No big monster climbs, just moderate grades of rollers, though with a little bit of un-paved dirt roads thrown in. And towards the end of a hundred miler, one simply can't help but to feel every little incline as tough as a real mountain! :p

But to be fair, I did it quickly, with a short lunch at Stockbridge. Very nice! :D And I wasn't really that tired. Had there been more daylight, I probably would have gone on a little longer detour. As a result of my "guesstimating" the shortcuts to balance the extra milage I did at the begining, the loop was "only" 98.9'ish miles. But daylight was indeed fading fast so I decided not to bother with making the round number of 100!

The views are just fabulous, with colors starting to come on over a backdrop of green. With biking days like this, skiing can wait! :wink:

OK, I'm totally impressed. A 100 mile ride? Wow.

Southern New England is SO BEAUTIFUL right now, and it sounds like you were cycling in Connecticut, so it must have been great.

I took a great restorative yoga class today and have been taking walks around, but nothing gets my blood going like skiing, that's for sure!

abc

Banned
Actually, 2/3 of the loop were in MA, though I started from CT.

I'm used to light traffic roads even in northwest CT. But I was blown away by how quiet southwestern MA is. There were stretch of roads where there's NO cars passing by me for half an hour!!! Just me and the trees (ok, squirrels). "Civilized wilderness"?

Does mean "self-support" had to be literal. Couldn't count on any easy rescues coming along on such area.

(Same reason why I REALLY enjoy x-c skiing! No crowd, no lift line. And once you get the technique well, you can REALLY travel far. People routinely travel 50 miles on x-c skis -- still working on that myself, nowhere near good enoughto do THAT yet)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've never ridden one hundred miles. But now that I have my new bike, maybe that's something I can try! :yahoo:

Sounds like a great route; do you suppose you could share it sometime.

abc

Banned
I've never ridden one hundred miles. But now that I have my new bike, maybe that's something I can try! :yahoo:

Once you got the road bike, you'll be surprised on how quickly the distance disappeared.

Yes, it's a GREAT route. Not too difficult but quite interesting. What it doesn't have in climbs, it more than mkae it up with turns and curves. A great sense of travel and adventure.

I have the map of the route but it's not always easy to follow. Some of the roads around here don't have signs. :eek: On the plus side, there aren't many cross roads so just turn with blind faith, you're on the right road! :wink:

What the map needs, is a scale. Once I figure out approximately how far the next turn is, I did just fine, sign or no sign. You should see the cue sheet of the Deerfield Dirt Road Rondaneer. It ran for 2 pages, and it's only 65 miles!!!

I never did a trip report of the D2R2, did I? :confused:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Bish Bash Fall in early autumn.

https://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IasWLVw3ZsLe

No, I didn't do THAT during the 100 miles quick ride. I drove there and hiked down today. But it's a taste of what it's like in western MA right now.

And here it was yesterday in Vermont.

Ahhhh, fall in New England!

1572931769_1d6e52ae11.jpg

abc

Banned
Seems the color is coming kind of late, isn't it? I thought it usually peaks around Columbus day?

Or is it just me who's impatient? :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

100 miles is easier than you think, when you have a nice bike and the enthusiasm to go with it!
You can Do IT!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga