• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

All mountain ski for advanced petite skier

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
I am 5', 105#, like to ski short radius turns and carve the groomed, but also want to venture more into the crud and woods. I am currently on a jr. race ski (Rossi) which was a good flex and size for me but they have a few years on them. Am in VT. so I need something good on ice. I ski moderate speeds, mostly, but would like to feel confident enough on the skis to amp it up.

Suggestions to demo?

JaneB

Jilly

Staff member
Staying with Rossi the Attaxion VI, the new version of Robyn's ski. It's all mountain. Salomon Jade too. After I demo some Atomic's in a couple of weeks I should have some more for you. I'm heavier, so what I like, might be too stiff for you.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With your description, I'd go with a carver with nice crud busting properties, like the volkl Fuego, or better yet, go with the Blizzard Viva 7.6. its a tad wider in the waist and offers more versatility, with a great transition from carving to crud busting, to ripping the tissue!

PowDiva85

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
check out the rossi voodoo 74 or 80. we just had a demo day at my shop and it got rave reviews especially from our more petite skiers. The key is not getting a ski that is too wide since you probably have a small foot a wide ski will take a lot more effort to get up on edge in your case especially. also, since you are more petite you do not necessarily need an 80 mm waist to float since you are lighter. The rossi attraxion line is also a good choice.

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
other options

What about the Olympia Victory (Nordica)? Is the Attraxion similar to the Roxy Joyrider? I demoed the Bliss but thought it might be too soft for ice; otherwise really liked it . I didn't like the Volkl Fuego; felt too heavy. So I tend to like a responsive, light ski, but NOT one that will flop around on the hardpack.

JaneB

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely try the Victory. When I demoed it, it hung on well on the steeps and was very stable at speed. I'd also recommend looking into the Fischer Vision Vapor.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You had a "sticky" Victory? I had the opposite experience with a Victory. I couldn't hang onto anything, or even make turns, but maybe it was a mushy snow day and it likes hard crusty stuff better?

I haven't tried them -- yup, bought without a test drive -- Atomic Sugar Mamas from last year. jGot 'em at a ski swap. I've seen really good stuff here about them, so I have a good feeling. We don't have a lot of ice here, but I have heard they're lively and fun skis.

Karen in Boise

Jilly

Staff member
I followed SkiMave on those last year and they looked really interesting. I bought the Conquer's on SnowHot's recommend or I might have gone with those. Foxy Mama or Heaven's Gate might be interesting too. I'm planning on trying the Gate as soon as I can. Won't be this weekend as I'm sure they won't be letting any HP skis out for demo. 10 runs, downloading. Good, but I'm taking the rock skis! I try the Conquer's only if I think it will be OK on Sunday.

canski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
JaneB,
Based on demo'ing 09 skis last spring - 115 lb NH advanced/expert skier with lots of friends in the same range - here are a few possibilities:
I happen to like Fischers for the way they ski - smooth, not skittish, and good edge grip on ice - an advanced friend really liked the Vapor, and I tried the Breeze and liked it (Vapor stiffer and a bit wider than the Breeze). (Disclaimer - I currently have the V76 and RX8 - both the results of demo-love). Several lightweight friends like (and ski) the Nordica Olympia Drive (one skier exactly your size bought it after demo'ing - I didn't get a chance to demo)- it seems to be marketed as an 'intermediate' ski, but skis way above that according to reviews, as well as my friends. It is softer than the Victory. A petite friend who bought year old Victory's last year did not seem to really love them. I tried the '08 Conquerer and found them to be a too beefy in the bumps. I felt the Volkl Fuego to be a very powerful carver one day, and didn't like it another day (different length/tune issue?). It might be a bit much for you, as I have a heavier, athletic friend who picked that one. I tried Atomic's Seventh Heaven and it was just OK for me.
I find the best (and most) reviews in SkiPress Magazine.
Demo, demo, demo!
I love demo'ing skis, but am always afraid I will fall in love with something other than what I own........

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I always recommend the Head Monster iM78's. I have the 77's (bought 2 seasons ago, they were 77 instead of 78 underfoot then) and love them.

You might also check out the Rossignol Scratch Girl FS's. I have the fatter version of that ski and it's the most fun ski I've ever ridden.

Check out the Heads if you're looking for a ski that's a carver first but can go anywhere, and the Rossi's if you're looking for more of a all-around powder-capable super energetic ski.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
JaneB, wow you really are TINY! :smile: I'm taller than you by 5" and proportionately more # - and I was in the same hunt last season: looking for the same ski capabilities. Here are a couple more that will likely be available as demo options:

K2 Lotta Luv
Dynastar Exclusive Legend

These were my 2 finalists after a demo day last season. Difference: the K2 is heavier and skis heavier, also has a higher preferred optimum speed. (I'm also a New England skier.)(obviously, per my screen name) Both these skis made the transition from not-deep but definitely powder to crud to hard pack very nicely. The Dynastars are so light in weight, I questioned whether they'd have the "beef" to do it all. They did. This was what I wound up buying (in a 158), due to a price-point. If the K2's had been less $, they might have been the winners. (budget, you know? :wink:)

I will say, having been out a few days this season on the EL's, that they continue to impress me. Ski hasn't really changed in design in several years (except graphics) and could be a real nice, versatile choice for you, given your goals. (They are 75 under foot, which is narrow by many standards, but as some above stated, you may have tiny feet as well!)

Put these 2 on your list, and tons of luck in your quest!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about the Olympia Victory (Nordica)?

I can't love mine enough! I'm slightly smaller than you and ski the 2007s (I think) in 146. They are GREAT on hardpack and ice and can handle powder if the operator knows what she's doing. I'm generally inexperienced in powder, but I knew these were the skis for me when I linked 3 turns in deep untracked stuff without killing myself or anyone around me while demoing these a few years ago in Solitude. PM me if you have specific questions....

SnowflakeADK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to 2nd Jilly's suggestion for demo'ing Atomic Foxy Mama (last years name)/Heavens Gate (this years).

I purchased this ski at the end of last season and while my time on it has been limited, I have enjoyed it very much. It does have a tight turn radius...10.5m in a 150. Dimensions at this length are 123-74-107. They are light and energetic feeling and do well in a multitude of conditions. The Atomic edge hold is great, IMO. I haven't come near to hitting a speed limit on them, yet. :D
FWIW, I'm an advancing intermediate who is 5'2 and errr....significantly heavier than you....when I'm feeling comfortable I ski at "moderate" speeds.

I wish I had others to recommend, but I really haven't done a whole lot of demoing.

Acadia07

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi JaneB!

I'm also a sort-of-petite skier. I'm 5'6" but only 115, so I don't fit any size charts right. I usually like a lighter ski because I just don't have the strength or the weight to muscle around a heavier ski. I'm also an advanced skier and favor ripping groomers in the Northeast.

I really did like the Atomic Foxy Mama as a couple people already recommended. It is a heavier ski, which is why I'm surprised I had such a blast on it! That ski holds onto the mountain like glue. Very stable at high speeds.

I ended up buying myself a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Legends at the end of last season and I love 'em. Granted, I only skied on them twice, but still. :D

The ELs are nice & light but not unstable, and they hold their edges really well, I was very impressed. The two times I skied on them were in bad conditions; crud, slush, ice. Ahh, fabulous Northeastern spring skiing! I can't wait to get back out on them this year and test them in some different conditions.

marta

Angel Diva
...and I'm shorter than you by 1 inch! I love my Burning Luv's, they're a 146. Great in all conditions especially hardpack. :love:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I ended up buying myself a pair of Dynastar Exclusive Legends at the end of last season and I love 'em. Granted, I only skied on them twice, but still. :D

The ELs are nice & light but not unstable, and they hold their edges really well, I was very impressed. The two times I skied on them were in bad conditions; crud, slush, ice. Ahh, fabulous Northeastern spring skiing! I can't wait to get back out on them this year and test them in some different conditions.

You will not be disappointed!! :wink::D
I haven't hauled out my frontside carvers yet!
These things - well, they seem to do it all! :clap:
Got about 10+-# on you, I have the muscle (I think) but not the weight/mass for the heavy/heavier skis. So it's more work. Tires me out faster.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Hi JaneB

I'm 5' 2" and 110#. I have Dynastar Exclusive Legends in 152 and have been skiing them several years. Most of my ski days are in the Mid-Atlantic and they work well here. They also have served me well out west too. Last year I bought the Atomic Sugar Mamas in a 150. They have a 79 waist, but still do well on the east coast hardpack. I can't remember what they are called this year.

Good luck finding a ski that works well for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga