• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Affordable ski towns

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to be a designer for residential and commercial builds. I learned who the best contractors were in my area. My suggestion for people considering builders would be to talk to local designers and architects. Architects tend to work with many builders/developers and may be partial or biased, but they can be informative if they are willing to be forthright. Designers are usually quite knowledgeable about the builders on a variety of levels. Free information from people that have an inside perspective!
I talked to banks, architects, plumbing supply places and other builders. Then winnowed it down to 3, then finally one. Extremely successful experience. Unfortunately, the guy retired. But we're still happy 20 years later.

I know another couple who picked their builder because he had a lot of pictures in glossy magazines. They rant.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I talked to banks, architects, plumbing supply places and other builders. Then winnowed it down to 3, then finally one. Extremely successful experience. Unfortunately, the guy retired. But we're still happy 20 years later.

I know another couple who picked their builder because he had a lot of pictures in glossy magazines. They rant.
You sure did the right thing! And it also comes down to chemistry with the contractor. Makes a huge difference! I have had meetings with potential clients and architects and turned down jobs because my Spidey senses told me the working relationship might be problematic.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You sure did the right thing! And it also comes down to chemistry with the contractor. Makes a huge difference! I have had meetings with potential clients and architects and turned down jobs because my Spidey senses told me the working relationship might be problematic.
One of the final three was eliminated when both my husband and my daughter told me that the builder and I would be at each other's throats the entire time. I didn't see it, but they were adamant.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone think the Covid trend of moving to a rural area is shifting? Are people moving back to the city now?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Does anyone think the Covid trend of moving to a rural area is shifting? Are people moving back to the city now?
Depends on the region. The high prices in some cities is discouraging some people from moving in. At the same time, it's encouraging developers and builders to start new residential or mixed-use projects.

Christy

Angel Diva
I know everyone talked as if that were happening during Covid, but it doesn't seem that the stats ultimately backed that up. People who left generally only did so temporarily. I've seen other reporting/studies like the one below, and this corresponds with my experience in Seattle. I know people that kind of moved to their vacation homes for a while, or who bought a second home, but not anyone that actually moved.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know everyone talked as if that were happening during Covid, but it doesn't seem that the stats ultimately backed that up. People who left generally only did so temporarily. I've seen other reporting/studies like the one below, and this corresponds with my experience in Seattle. I know people that kind of moved to their vacation homes for a while, or who bought a second home, but not anyone that actually moved.

There's been a definite shift in Vermont, although the subsequent housing shortage/cost increases have started to reverse the trend:

Anecdotally I have a lot of newcomer patients in the past 2-3 years.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think so. For one thing, there weren't sufficient houses for them to move into, so they got on two year waiting lists for the builder, but supply chains are still a mess and that builder is a year behind. Also, the last two winters weren't very snowy. They can't sell their partially built house and they haven't been miserable enough yet to do it anyway.

Just kidding, but I do think it'll be another year or two.

We've still got severe housing shortages and there's plenty about it in the news with the recent elections and new proposals and fights about new developments and a growing number of homeless. We've got Kalispell bitching about Whitefish supposedly dropping off the homeless in Kalispell, but WF claiming they are being taken to service agencies. (Kalispell doesn't seem to get that they are the county seat, and that's where county services are.) Anyway, major issues with schools not physically big enough and are almost brand new, built to handle capacity for 20 years but already out of space, lack of facilities for a growing number of kids with no housing or fixed abode, etc. Finger pointing between state and towns. At this point, I feel like I'll start straying into politics, so I'll shut up.

Best case would be that all the work from home people decide to do it someplace sunnier and sell their houses cheaper so that people can buy and free up houses for long term rentals, etc. There was a large hotel that had gone downhill and was renting out long term rooms that was bought out and all those people ended up on the streets. That was before COVID. Then with the influx of tourists during COVID we got way more houses becoming Airbnb's, so more renters forced out. I think that may be abating a bit. But at this point they are just sitting empty more, not going back to being long term rentals.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends on the region. The high prices in some cities is discouraging some people from moving in. At the same time, it's encouraging developers and builders to start new residential or mixed-use projects.
I keep reading there's a shortage of homes because building didn't keep up with population growth. So I'm glad that's happening now! And I was surprised that staying in the city during Covid didn't have any perks - rents didn't go down and overall cost of living went up.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I know someone who sold their home and moved to Hawaii to wait out Covid. They always meant to move back. My boss moved to Walla Walla for a few years but he moved back because he said his wife missed the city. Otherwise most people I know seemed to stay put...

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think so. For one thing, there weren't sufficient houses for them to move into, so they got on two year waiting lists for the builder, but supply chains are still a mess and that builder is a year behind. Also, the last two winters weren't very snowy. They can't sell their partially built house and they haven't been miserable enough yet to do it anyway.

Just kidding, but I do think it'll be another year or two.

We've still got severe housing shortages and there's plenty about it in the news with the recent elections and new proposals and fights about new developments and a growing number of homeless. We've got Kalispell bitching about Whitefish supposedly dropping off the homeless in Kalispell, but WF claiming they are being taken to service agencies. (Kalispell doesn't seem to get that they are the county seat, and that's where county services are.) Anyway, major issues with schools not physically big enough and are almost brand new, built to handle capacity for 20 years but already out of space, lack of facilities for a growing number of kids with no housing or fixed abode, etc. Finger pointing between state and towns. At this point, I feel like I'll start straying into politics, so I'll shut up.

Best case would be that all the work from home people decide to do it someplace sunnier and sell their houses cheaper so that people can buy and free up houses for long term rentals, etc. There was a large hotel that had gone downhill and was renting out long term rooms that was bought out and all those people ended up on the streets. That was before COVID. Then with the influx of tourists during COVID we got way more houses becoming Airbnb's, so more renters forced out. I think that may be abating a bit. But at this point they are just sitting empty more, not going back to being long term rentals.
I hope someday I'll go against the trends! I feel like I want to do what everyone else wants to do and there is no winning.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I keep reading there's a shortage of homes because building didn't keep up with population growth. So I'm glad that's happening now! And I was surprised that staying in the city during Covid didn't have any perks - rents didn't go down and overall cost of living went up.
That makes sense for the potential towns/cities you are considering in order to be near skiing.

Keep in mind that different regions dealt with the pandemic in very different ways. What happened in the PacNW, California, and the northeast (Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, etc.) was completely different from the southeast (Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham, Miami, etc.) or states like Montana or Idaho.

The population shifts because people liked living near big mountains such as those near Denver or Salt Lake City started a few years after recovery from the 2008 recession. Working from home was possible for some professions earlier than others. The pandemic accelerated the pace of WFH for a while, which undoubtedly has had an impact on residential real estate.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll have to look at these on a map. I thought sugarloaf was back east!
Actually it is "Downeast." Easy mistake to make. There are likely even more "loafs" out there!

Christy

Angel Diva
The population shifts because people liked living near big mountains such as those near Denver or Salt Lake City started a few years after recovery from the 2008 recession. Working from home was possible for some professions earlier than others. The pandemic accelerated the pace of WFH for a while, which undoubtedly has had an impact on residential real estate.
This is essentially the gist of what I've been reading. There was not a massive move out of cities to rural areas and small towns during Covid. Those trends were already in place, as @sibhusky shows in those Montana stats.

Seattle grew 21.1% 2010-2020 which is more than any other city for that time period then another 2.4% in 2021 which is the most of any U.S. city for that year too (so no big move out here!). Given that the city is geographically small and constrained that's going to impact the suburbs too (plus many would just rather live on the Eastside), so yeah, no dips in rent. People came, not left.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That makes sense for the potential towns/cities you are considering in order to be near skiing.

Keep in mind that different regions dealt with the pandemic in very different ways. What happened in the PacNW, California, and the northeast (Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, etc.) was completely different from the southeast (Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham, Miami, etc.) or states like Montana or Idaho.

Yes!! Work from home has really changed things. I wouldn't be able to move at all if not for that. And my company didn't offer that pre Covid.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, for instance I'm thinking of what happened to Tahoe during the pandemic with people moving from San Francisco. SF was already getting too expensive and crowded so maybe it would have happened anyway, but Covid did really accelerate that with the tech companies offering WFH. My company said they'll never force us back into the office. I'll be WFH "forever."

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just looked at Census data. Between 2020 and 2022, the population of Whitefish increased 15%. In two years. Between 2010 and 2020 (ten years) it increased 21%. Hence the stress.
Wow!

For some reason I feel like you talked me out of Whitefish. I can't recall why! I'll have to look back at the thread.

NWSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is essentially the gist of what I've been reading. There was not a massive move out of cities to rural areas and small towns during Covid. Those trends were already in place, as @sibhusky shows in those Montana stats.

Seattle grew 21.1% 2010-2020 which is more than any other city for that time period then another 2.4% in 2021 which is the most of any U.S. city for that year too (so no big move out here!). Given that the city is geographically small and constrained that's going to impact the suburbs too (plus many would just rather live on the Eastside), so yeah, no dips in rent. People came, not left.
Yes, Seattle has always held strong on housing and employment and lots of people are still moving here. I can see why.

My rent is going up by $200 next year. That's another things about Seattle if you rent: They give you a month of free rent to get you in, but then raise the rent each year. In So Cal they lower your rent as incentive to sign another lease. I feel like I'm going to have to move down the stree just to avoid the rent increase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna