• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice wanted--new skis

jen11o

Diva in Training
Advice wanted! I want to buy skis this spring to take advantage of some deals. Here's my info: 5'3", 125lbs, 46 yrs old, intermediate (ish) skier. I skied on chopsticks 30 yrs ago and tried again last week after my kids learned to ski. I used a pair of Volkl Flair 76s, 147 cm length. I was on groomed runs with hard packed snow. The skis were fun but seemed a bit short. They were the first skis I've tried other than the old school skinny long skis from ages ago. I was able to carve nicely despite not having skied for so long. Not sure of it was my imagination but they seemed to want to make short turns (maybe due to a short radius?)

Here is what I'm thinking. I'm looking for a pair of skis to improve my skills on, will mostly be skiing with my kids (who are already faster than I am!). I'll be on groomed runs in the Yukon. This year we didn't have much snow but I'm the last I've heard it's decent. Not like the powder of the PNW though.

My list--thoughts wanted!

Nordica Santa Ana 84s 151 or 158cm
Salomon Stance 80 159cm
Volkl Yumi 84 154cm

I had considered the Flair 79 but the price point was higher than the other skis.

Thank you!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Are you able to demo before choosing skis? I would try the longer lengths you have listed, the low 150s are short for your size and you may quickly find them lacking when you get going skiing more and pick up some speed. You may want to go even longer, so if you were to demo trying the next size up would be great to compare as well. For reference I am one inch taller than you, the same weight, and most of my skis are in the mid 160s for length. The high 150s would be a better compromise to start with though.

Have fun, and welcome back to the sport!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! I'm a few inches shorter, 15 pounds lighter, and quite a bit older. I was skiing with my daughter when she was learning about 20 years ago. Back then I was an adventurous intermediate skiing groomers out west 90% of the time. Didn't ski that much on straight skis, so never got past the stem cristy stage.

Agree that skis under 150cm are short. My first all-mountain skis 15 years ago were 75 underfoot and 154cm, with a wide shovel so a few inches of fresh snow on smooth surfaces was fine.

After taking lessons pretty regularly for a while (after age 55) when I started skiing 40+ days a season, my all-mountain skis are mid-80s underfoot and 159cm. These days I ski much more off-piste when the snow is good, but still spend a fair amount of time on groomers.

For short groomers in the southeast (my home mountain is in northern Virginia), I have older Volkl Yumis that are 147cm. Those were bought used from a Diva. I'm more likely to ski with beginners and intermediates and there is rarely ungroomed trails since all the snow is from snowguns. I'd demo'd the Yumis a few years ago and they are the only Volkl skis I've found fun. YMMV

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another vote for demo if you can. I'm also around 5'3" but much heavier. My skis range from 152 and 72 underfoot to 163 and 88 underfoot. I suggest putting the Blaze 86 on your list. Either 152 or 159 depending on if you are going for manoeuvrability or speed. Or just simply length preference. It is a pretty versatile ski in that is seems to appeal to different levels of skiers, and different terrain preferences. I tend to like my skis shorter, am an intermediate and don't ski fast, mine are 152. I got them last year hoping to work on bumps and trees, but have been skiing them almost exclusively on hard pack groomers while rehabbing my knee this year. @MissySki also has them but prefers longer skis, is a much better skier than me and skis things that I would only do in my dreams, and has them in 159.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Thanks everyone! I'm not able to demo unfortunately. I live close to Alaska and we don't have demo said on our hill. I appreciate the feedback!
Indeed your post said you'll be skiing in the Yukon ! Wow that's so cool so figured there may not be demo options for you. Some good ideas suggested with the longer lengths for your size.

jen11o

Diva in Training
I'm leaning toward the Yumi 84. Curious if 161cm would be too long for me, or if I should go with 154. I think the Santa Ana might be a more advanced ski than I need right now. Thoughts? Again for reference, I am 5'3", 125lbs and ski on green and blues.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm leaning toward the Yumi 84. Curious if 161cm would be too long for me, or if I should go with 154. I think the Santa Ana might be a more advanced ski than I need right now. Thoughts? Again for reference, I am 5'3", 125lbs and ski on green and blues.
Jumping from 147 to 161 would probably feel uncomfortable.

Are you skiing ungroomed blues at all?

jen11o

Diva in Training
No ungroomed blues this season (just went out for a day with the kids) and it renewed my love of skiing. I should probably stick to the 154. I am hoping for a ski that I can grow into but not be too challenging to deter the learning curve.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna