• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice ski length size?

marymo

Diva in Training
Hi, I'm new to skidiva and wanted some advice on ski size. I've read thru some of the other forums but still wasn't for sure on what length to get. I'm 5'2", 120 lbs, intermediate/advanced skier and am trying to decide between 152cm and 159cm Blizzard Black Pearl, demos skis from last season (2014-2015). I didn't get a chance to demo the size and specific ski, but did demo Nordica Belle to Belle and Salomon Lumen (156cm) last winter in powder at Steamboat and had way more fun on them than my own skis. I live/ski in Colorado and wanted an all mt ski, but did want to sometimes work on the bumps or in the trees. I have been skiing on 160 cm Saloman Crossmax 10 Pilot, from er, um, 2003. And yes, I did get new boots and insert, yeah! From reading other postings, I am thinking that 159cm is fine. Any thoughts? Thanks!

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome! I love this site and all of the feedback I have received on questions in a short period of time.

As for your question - you will likely get some good advice. I can only speak from my own experience. (I'm about an inch taller than you and a bit heavier - for reference.) I did all of last season in Telluride with Liberty Envy 156. It was my first time to use wider skis - but I loved them and used them as my all mountain, side and back country ski . . . 100+ days on the snow.

However, I am ready for an upgrade and just ordered (and received this week) the Blizzard Sheevas in 165. Adding a little power and length - and hoping for the best.

Enjoy the group and think SNOW!

:welcome: This is a great forum with some really knowledgeable ladies on it. Glad you are here.

I am only going on my 4th season skiing but the gals on this forum will indeed give great advice and they have helped me out tremendously. I am 5'6" 172 lbs and have 3 soon to be 4 pairs of skis ranging in size from 161-168 cm.

From what I have read and seen on this forum with regard to the Black Pearl its a very rockered ski in the tip and tail. I have never demoed this ski but I hear it skis short so you should go up to the next size from what you'd normally ski. If you are looking at the 159 I'd consider the 166 only because of all the rocker. Once you take away the rocker the area of the ski that you are actually on is much shorter than some other skis of the same length.

That's all I got and I'll let the much more experienced Divas jump right in. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: DRG

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 5'2" 120 lbs. I'd go with the 159. This coming from someone who is 5'5" 127 lbs. who was on a 159 Black Pearl and quickly outgrew them. They are a fun, fun ski! Especially for western conditions.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi, I'm new to skidiva and wanted some advice on ski size. I've read thru some of the other forums but still wasn't for sure on what length to get. I'm 5'2", 120 lbs, intermediate/advanced skier and am trying to decide between 152cm and 159cm Blizzard Black Pearl, demos skis from last season (2014-2015). I didn't get a chance to demo the size and specific ski, but did demo Nordica Belle to Belle and Salomon Lumen (156cm) last winter in powder at Steamboat and had way more fun on them than my own skis. I live/ski in Colorado and wanted an all mt ski, but did want to sometimes work on the bumps or in the trees. I have been skiing on 160 cm Saloman Crossmax 10 Pilot, from er, um, 2003. And yes, I did get new boots and insert, yeah! From reading other postings, I am thinking that 159cm is fine. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Another vote for the 159cm. That's based on my experience having fun with 159 BPs as an advanced skier who is 5'0", 120 lbs skiing at Alta and a few other places on trips out west in recent years. I use the BPs in all sorts of conditions, including up to about 6 inches of fresh powder in bowls, on bumps, and in trees.

marymo

Diva in Training
Thank you for your warm welcomes, prompt replies, and advice. I'll go with the 159cm skis and try to demo more skis next time. Your demo reviews were great. :smile:

mustski

Angel Diva
I just wanted to say :welcome: ... yup, I'm another vote for the 159. I am also 5'2" but I weight 135-145 and tend to go longer. Personally, I would go for for the 166, but you are quite a bit lighter than I am.

marymo

Diva in Training
Overwhelming 159 (& possibly longer). Thank you! (Note to self, don't believe everything you read online, i.e. ski length sizing guides.)

I splurged and got new Saloman Z10 bindings & removed the demo bindings. Binding advice thanks to other threads here. Hoping El Nino predictions on W. Coast means snow snow snow in the mts!

What @mustski said. Please post a picture. I currently have one pair of skis just hanging out in the living room. She will have company in a few days when the other baby comes home. Skis are perfectly acceptable living room decor.

DRG

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And I thought I was the only one (with skis decorating the living room)! I haven't brought myself to remove the plastic yet - but I stare at them every day!

And I thought I was the only one (with skis decorating the living room)! I haven't brought myself to remove the plastic yet - but I stare at them every day!

OMG same here. I also have the bindings for said skis in my living room. Waiting to get my boot situation squared away so I can take my skis/bindings off to the shop so the bindings can be mounted. I still have the plastic on my skis which is killing me, I so want to rip it off. We spend a few minutes together every day also lol.

@SkiBam Ok so I don't have to hang my head sheepishly then for having the thought of putting my Kenja's in bed with me. Never did it but the thought did cross my mind. I feel better now.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna