• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Advice on Compression Tights

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm looking for some advice on compression tights.

Due to his slow descent into ski widower territory, my darling SO is taking up snowboarding . . . yes, snowboarding - but only because he has significant, long-standing orthopedic issues in both knees and having both feet fixed to a single board poses less risk of injury for him.

I'm thinking that some compression tights might help ease the inevitable aches and pains, while also helping to keep his legs (particularly his quads) fresh throughout the day.

Any advice/recommendations on what works best?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just got CW-X pro for DH for xmas. Will let you know how he likes them after 1/1. General consensus around here is that compression tights are helpful, but he might want to venture into something more specifically tailored to knee support.

Hope he survives the learning curve of snowboarding, during which time one tends to spend copious periods of time on the ground (including on the knees). Very punishing period of time :( (one that I couldn't get through due to...pain....) Ultimately, yes, easier on the knees but still stresses them. He will enjoy it if he can get through those early days. Good luck to him.

Gumbelina

Certified Ski Diva
I have been using CW-X tights while skiing, and I feel like they offer a modest benefit. I would recommend he wear knee pads because he WILL fall on his knees, and the padding will help a lot with the amount of knee pain that results. I hope he enjoys it and learns quickly so that the two of you can have fun together out on the slopes!

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your good wishes!

SO has skiied before (grew up in Wyoming) and is quite athletic and determined, but his knees are just a nightmare (7 surgeries in all, most on the left), so I am trying to encourage that we take all precautions possible! His problems relate to malalignment, so the real concern is twisting . . . hence the snowboarding. He is not concerned about falling directly on the knees, but I sure am!!!

I have mentioned knee pads, and I think if I buy them, he'll wear them, so I'll probably pick up some of those and a pair of CW-X tights on the advice of the Divas :smile:

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Stabilyx CW-X tights are supposed to offer more knee support. I don't know how much more (haven't compared side by side) but those are what I use post partially tearing my ACL. I'd like to think they help somewhat, though I don't imagine they would offer any assistance in the case of an impact with a fall directly on the knees. Definitely knee pads would be better for that portion of your concerns.

Jilly

Staff member
They also make butt pads for snowboarding. I decided a few years ago to at least try this animal. I also decided that the learning curve was too painfull. I had bruised knees, left hip and just sore all over.

Another safety issue - wrist guards, like you use for inline (rollerblading)skating. As SkiNurse about snowboard injuries?

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After reading the numerous threads here about the CW-X tights, I decided to spring for a pair of the Stabilyx 3/4 length ones. I wore them for the first time yesterday at work at PCMR. I do have to say that I definitely noticed a difference! At the end of the day, my back did not hurt like it has, and my knees and legs didn't feel dead from all the standing and bending to scan all those lift tickets. Usually, I end up walking like a 130 year old woman at the end of the day because I'm so sore.
I bought the 3/4-length because I don't like the extra length of a full-length that I'd have to stuff into my boots. I'm already tight into my boots and don't have any room to spare. I really wish the company made the Insulators in a 3/4-length, too. I'd be snatching up a pair of those in a heartbeat!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey ... a tangent here (not a hijack, a tangent!) -- I have two pairs of CW-X tights, one is new this season. The pair from last season is definitely stretched out a little bit. I wash in cold, and air dry them ... is this something to be expected? Any way to shrink them up again? Once in the dryer, or would it be more harm than good. I know heat will break down elastic.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Happy to report that darling SO snowboarded for 3 whole days and, in his words, "my left knee did not explode!" I even got to take him up the tram for a run down from the Roundhouse! Mission accomplished.

CW-X are definitely in our future - I could really use them myself, especially on these longer ski trips where we ski back-to-back-to-back days . . . my quads sure would appreciate the help :smile:

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got a pair of CW-X Insulators at the end of the season last year and wore them for the first time New Years Day in windy, single-digit temps. They kept me perfectly warm with a pair of insulated ski pants over them. I was concerned about the full-length legs (skied last few years in the 3/4 CW-X lighter weight tights), but much to my surprise, even with my custom molded Intuition liners, the tights were A-OK.

I like the CW-X tights because they offer a little bit of extra support for my creaky arthritic knees.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also got to try out my CW-X tights (Performx) for the first time. I also agree that i couldn't feel them in my boots like I can other tights. I think it's the lack of a thick elastic band at the bottoms. I can't say they really made my knees feel much better, but I can say that my IT band issues did not flare up at all while skiing. My hips and quads felt great while my skiing companion, who is of similar ability level and athletic ability, was complaining of burning quads. The conditions were icy, so I would have thought it to require more athletic effort on the part of my thigh muscles, but they felt great. I'll have to compare the next time I ski in messy conditions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga