• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Adjustable size kids boots?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I was standing around in excrutiating pain having my custom liners molded last night, I saw something on the boot wall that really intrigued me.

Apparently Roces (didn't they go out of business YEARS ago??) now makes a boot that adjusts 3 full sizes in 1/2 size steps. The boot comes in 3 different size ranges covering sizes from 16.0 to 25.5! Here's the link to their web site: https://www.roces-snow.com/en/home.asp

Of course, being the gear geek that I am, I had to take one apart to see how it worked, and boy, am I impressed! The rear of the boot is on a weird pivot that pulls a sliding inner boot plate and heel cup back as the boot gets longer. There's a ramped area at the top of the toe box to compensate for the volume change in the toe area as the child's foot grows. The buckles on the top of the boot also act to change the volume of the boot as the length changes. The liner has a really cool bellows area to allow it to "grow" as well. All-in-all, it appears to be a really well thought out design that should work for cash-strapped families. The guy in the shop said they've sold "tons" of the smallest size already. I think, since they had the largest size in stock, I may have to try it on when I go back for my next liner fiddling, just cuz :loco:.

Jilly

Staff member
That's neat. I know that you can get inlines like that, but ski boots! What a treat for families!

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let me know how they feel. I have been thinking of getting a pair for my 6 year old, since she's in that rapid growth phase.

lady_Salina

Diva in Training
I saw these also. I will be fully outfitting my Grand Daughter next ski season and really wanted to know more about them. We got her out and skiing this year and she loves it but rented for this year as she'll only get out 5 or 6 times max. She's 4. So next year I plan on getting her gear of her own and taking her out more. They sound like a great idea, I'd love to hear from anyone with experiences with them so far.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's neat. I know that you can get inlines like that, but ski boots! What a treat for families!

Nice! I have a pair of Roces inline skates that do this, but when I bought them, I thought they were a little Fisher-Price-ish. They have held up well, though. I guess if you're a growing kid, though, you're not going to last too long in adjustable equipment or non-adjustable equipment!

valli

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I checked out the Roces while I was at REI and had my daughter try them on. They weren't terrible, but the buckles seemed very lightweight and they weren't particularly cushy. Since we have two kids to cycle boots through, I decided I would just get nicer 3 buckle boots for my daughter.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I wasn't in love with the design at SIA. I still feel most youth customers are better off participating in the boot trade in progams with their local ski shops.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna