• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

lakeviewpowder

Certified Ski Diva
My head is starting to think snow and skiing....I'd love to hear your thoughts and personal experiences regarding a few skis I am considering to add to my quiver this season (without demoing first).

About me: Early 50s; life time advanced to expert skier, 5'4"; 155 lbs; ski mostly Tahoe; more of a technical than aggressive skier, and I generally value control over speed; I used to mostly ski the fall line (short turns at medium speed), but different types of skies broadened my horizon.

For this one, I am looking specifically to add a ski in-between my Nordica Enforcer 93 (front side, carving, variable firmer snow), and my trusted Armada JJ (6+" of powder). The Nordica at 169 cm was a new addition for me last season, and it was a revelation on how much fun carving on-piste at high speed can be. The rebound energy was amazing, and it's confidence inspiring demeanor made me a much faster, and surprisingly also GS turn loving skier. My JJs (175 cm) are soooo much fun in the trees in any type of powder. They made me ski so much faster in powder, as I can scrub the speed by slashing them sideways in no time. What I am looking for now is a soft snow all mountain ski in a 100 +/- width, that's softer than the Nordica (i.e., no metal, lighter weight), and that has some of the more playful vibe of the Armada for skiing all kinds of off-piste terrain, but with a focus on trees, steeps, and bumps. On top of that, I am also looking for a bit of a value, so I can justify adding a 5th pair to my quiver (yep, I also own some powder rock skis and backcountry skis).

The skis that stand out to me:
1) Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (164 cm)
2) Armada Tracer 98 (164 cm)
3) Rossignol Sky 7 (164 cm)
I am leaning to the Bent Chetler 100, because of its wider width and from what I read it's a bit more versatile – especially in more challenging terrain. I'd love your thoughts on these skis?

Other skis I have been considering:
- Fischer 102 FR (too stiff)
- Elan Ripstick 102 (162 too small, 170 too long)
- DPS Pagoda Piste 100 (too expensive)
- Blizzard Rustler 10 (too stiff)

Thanks ladies! I love this community...

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a fellow JJ fan, skiing in interior BC. My skinny skis are generally the Volkl 90eight - can't say they're as much fun as the JJ, but then is anything? I find it's a good ski for bumps, at least the way I ski them, and I like that it's responsive when I want it to be, but also forgiving when I get in the back seat. Just a very solid, capable ski really. I'm 5' 8 and ski the 170s.

I also own a pair of Rustler 10s - I think they're the 2019 model so not as stiff as the new ones. They're awesome on firm snow, better edge grip than the Volkl, but I've found the tail a bit hooky in softer conditions.

If you do find a ski around 100mm underfoot that's as much fun as the JJ but is more suitable for when things firm up, I'd love to know.

lakeviewpowder

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! I am leaning strongly to the Atomic Bent Chetler 100. It might be a month until I get to ski them, but will let you know. I do think, from all I heard from friends, that the Rossi 7 line up (Sky 7 and Soul 7) have the soft fun factor build in. I am just not sure if they also hold an edge in a steep couloir? A similar series might be the DPS Alchemist (Wailer/Yvette and the new Pagoda). They are hard to find for a demo. I especially like their super short turn radius.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Bent Chetler 100 does look interesting and versatile too.

I've got a pair of Rossi Star 7's for touring and really like them for most conditions - nice edge hold for a wider ski, so I'd imagine the Soul 7 would be solid in that regard too. I was very tempted to pick up a pair of Soul 7s while they're still around and discounted but I've finally decided that I can't justify yet another pair of skis...

lakeviewpowder

Certified Ski Diva
Quick report back in case of anyone being interested in the Atomic Bent Chetler 100. I ended up buying the 164cm skis and had 3 ski days on them so far. I absolutely love them, for what I bought them for: Soft snow, bumps, technical, versatile all mountain skiing. They perform very well and predictable. As expected they don't do that great in hard snow and carving on groomers (the soft tips chatter quite a bit with higher speeds, and the 100 mm under foot are much harder to lay down in comparison to my Nordica Enforcers 93).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna