• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: ACL surgery this Thursday... pain management tips?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a TON of pain with my first one and almost no pain with my second one.

The difference, to me was swelling. The first one - I stayed in the hospital overnight and they didn't really elevate my leg. It was just lying flat in bed with me sitting up, resting my foot on one pillow. I didn't know any better and continued more of the same at home. By the time I went in for physical therapy in a couple days it was HUGE. And solid black and blue from hip to toe. And hurt for months. This one was over a year between the initial injury and surgery.

Second time around on the other knee - I knew better. I woke up and asked for 3 or 4 more pillows to put under it. Got home and elevated it above my heart unless I was up to go to the bathroom or get food/ice/meds and voila - no big deal at all. This second one was about 3-4 weeks between injury and surgery.

Interesting. We were careful about that (elevation), in fact, our guest bed is one of those German jobbies that has wooden slats that elevate, raising the head of the bed. We turned the supports around so that those were down on the foot, and then put pillows under his leg, as well.

Kerryn

Certified Ski Diva
I know everyone is different...I had my ACL reconstructed in 2004 and really didn't experience much pain. I was religious about icing and elevation tho. I had a "cold machine". You wrap it around your knee and it hooks to a pump that contains ice water so your knee is constantly being bathed with ice water. Not all doctors prescribe it but it really helped me. I would load up the ice bucket before I went to bed and sleep with it running. You just need to be careful not to wrap it too tight.

Good luck!

Thanks Daria , Alta girl and Pinto, I've emailed Donjoy here in Australia and emailed my physio about whether I can hire one from local hospital ( wish I had read these posts earlier in the day as it's too late to call now, and off to hospital early in the morning).
Sounds like an icemachine is a great way to go.
I can't thank you all enough. I've got lots of great info. The more knowledge the better I say.
Cheers
Kerryn

Kerryn

Certified Ski Diva
Back home now , all going well so far. Not too much pain except when getting up or going to the loo. Alta girl and Pinto, I asked all the right questions before surgery.OS didn't find any nasty surprises:clap:, just mild arthritis nothing to be concerned about.
Sadly no success with ice machines, they are about $500 to buy here in Australia:noidea:, and although I could buy from the US and get it sent (probably 10 days shipping) I think the crucial time for it's use would be missed.
Thanks again. Will keep posting re recovery
Cheers
Kerryn

But I can't imagine living without an ice machine - they go under different names - Iceman, etc. Do ask if you're getting one of those - if not, I'd cough up the money and buy one. A couple times waking up during the night needing ice and $150 wouldn't seem like a bad price at all. Basically what this is is a small ice chest that you add water to and then it pumps ice water through a pad you wrap around your knee. Lasts for 7 hours or so at a time. Aaahh.

https://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy...ftrk=gdfV21180_a_7c405_a_7c1427_a_7c11_d_0494[/QUOTE]

Anna

Angel Diva
Hey Kerryn,

One month on and how are you recovering? Hope everything is on track. My advice, from watching my sister recover from 2 re-co's and me refusing to have surgery - TAKE IT SLOWLY :smile:

Let us all know how you're tracking!

What's your surgeon/physio's reaction when you ask them about skiing this year?? :smile::smile:
:goodluck:

Kerryn

Certified Ski Diva
Hi Anna,
thanks for your well wishes, and words of adviceF I have an update on a new thread "Ive got a brand new ACL of my very own".
All going well but slower than I expected. At 6 weeks I have FINALLY managed a full circle turn on my stationary bike!!! :yahoo:
A big milestone for me as I was starting to get quietly concerned about
ROM, but if it goes anything like pre-hab for surgery once things get moving things happen a bit quicker. I was able to get to the pool for the first time on Easter Saturday, and my physio said this week we start poll and gym program. YAY!!!:clap:

For anyone out there going through the same my physio gave me acupuncture last week and made BIG difference to ROM. I must be feeling better as we are heading out of summer here and into Autumn and am starting to dream of a ski trip to New Zealand (better snow than Australia and costs us the same to get to NZ as it does the snow here in Australia). Really to early for me to ski yet but Im a firm believer in dreams as I like making them come true.
cheers :smile:
Kerryn

Anna

Angel Diva
:smile: :smile:

Yes, i recall that when i "burst" through the ROM on the bike it was amazing! everything got better so much faster! AMAZING!

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't imagine living without an ice machine - they go under different names - Iceman, etc. Do ask if you're getting one of those - if not, I'd cough up the money and buy one. A couple times waking up during the night needing ice and $150 wouldn't seem like a bad price at all. Basically what this is is a small ice chest that you add water to and then it pumps ice water through a pad you wrap around your knee. Lasts for 7 hours or so at a time. Aaahh.

What she said. Get one. I used mine during recovery from tibia plateau fracture + ACL and MCL tears. (I didn't have ACL surgery -- long story -- not relevant here.) 2 other people have borrowed it since. I was able to be reimbursed eventually, but even if not, it would have been well worth the money. It certainly helped in transitioning from painkillers to real life.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna