• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Accomodation around Xmas in Nelson and Fernie

lila64

Diva in Training
2 years ago we flew from France to BC for a 2weeks powder skiing trip for the last two weeks of December. We spent the first week in Red Mountain and Whitewater and we loved it! The snow was great and the locals amazingly friendly. We spent the second week in Whistler but really struggled finding accommodation as it was very busy between Xmas and New year eve.

We are planning to fly again to BC this winter for the same period. We want to stay around Red Mountain and Whitewater again but also would like to try Fernie. Ideally, we would like to book our flight and then decide on where to stay at the last minute, depending on the snow conditions. However, we are concerned that even in The BC interior, it might be busy between Xmas and new year eve.

We usually try to stay in hostel or backpacker type accommodation, Is it too risky not to make a reservation in advance in that area for that period?

Thanks!!

Lila

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it might be risky. Fernie is at a comparatively low elevation, and good snow at that time of year is by no means guaranteed. That's the downside of an otherwise terrific mountain.
To check out the local scene go to Our Fernie at this URL:
https://www.ourfernie.com/blog

geargrrl

Angel Diva
we got rained out there at new years a few years ago. It's the first time I have ever turned a ticket back in. Feb/March is a much better ber for that area.

keddy

Diva in Training
I agree that it is pretty risky to wait. Fernie is a VERY busy hill, and has a lot of folks that come from Alberta during holidays. That said, it has only been the last 2 yrs that we have gotten good snow before New Year's. Fernie and Kimberley are set to open Dec. 13th or so, but they are just snow in the last couple of days up there. There is a Hostel in Fernie, I think it is called Same Sun. Not too sure about Nelson, as it has been yeearrrs since I skiied the West Kootenays. I am very :jealous: that you were able to ski Red. Rossland is my home hill...the one I grew up on and I cannot wait to take my DH and girls there. Our youngest daughter is on the ski team here, so our weekends are already booked until April!
Hope this helps a bit! :smile:

RockSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
accomodation in Nelson, BC

This post is obviously too late to help lila, but for the record, I've stayed several times (summer & winter) at The White House Backpacker Lodge in Nelson. Clean, friendly, comfortable, self-catering (i.e., kitchen facilities, dishes, fridge space, BBQ), laundry... In fact, I'm headed there next month to ski Whitewater and possibly Red!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga