• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A growing COVID-19 variant has taken off this holiday season...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
True, but when the kid is peeking at you thru the seat back spaces it's like a direct shot! I fault the parents for bring a sick child onto a crowded plane. This was pre-Covid, so masks were not a thing yet in the US. I would have gladly provided a plastic bag to put over the kid's head -- just kidding! :rotf:

Jenny

Angel Diva
Me too! Lol You’d think a snake snuck up on me in public spaces when I hear a child hacking or sneezing. I’m out of there!! :fear:
I as just at the doctor's office in a very overcrowded waiting room. Kid in there was coughing and as I pulled my mask out of my purse and put it on I noticed the guy next to me doing the same thing. (I was waiting while DH had his colonoscopy, so it wasn’t a waiting room where I had to worry about everyone being there because they were sick. I think I’d have put it on a lot earlier if that had been the case.)

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week Wednesday in Mammoth one of our ski group came down with a stomach thing so severe that she went to urgent care that evening. They said it was food-borne; fluids & anti-nausea meds helped her through it. That was a relief to hear, since she was my roommate.

But then on the following Saturday someone else who'd been in the group came down with the same symptoms, requiring a trip to ER, fluids, etc.

Tis the season, perhaps.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband had 6 appointment cancellations this week with patients catching covid or the flu. A few of my friends have gotten sick with severe symptoms but negative covid tests and some have very mild cold symptoms yet tested positive for covid. Either way, I don’t want to get sick so I am back to masking up and avoiding crowded indoor spaces or meals. I’d rather be safe than sorry.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My baby and I are both recently vaccinated, but she's sick and wouldn't do well getting RSV or Covid right now. I'm the only one that still wears a mask, but I don't care.
Just as before the pandemic ever started, there are many who did and still do need to aleays mask up in public. My mother was one of them. So sad that it is now more filled with judgement from others than pre covid. Always continue take care of your needs first and those of your loved ones.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week Wednesday in Mammoth one of our ski group came down with a stomach thing so severe that she went to urgent care that evening. They said it was food-borne; fluids & anti-nausea meds helped her through it. That was a relief to hear, since she was my roommate.

But then on the following Saturday someone else who'd been in the group came down with the same symptoms, requiring a trip to ER, fluids, etc.

Tis the season, perhaps.
A friend showed me recent wastewater data…there are high levels of norovirus in poop in SoCal, including Mammoth. That said, I have no idea what “high” is.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I think kids are the worst little walking Petri dishes! And they just about never cover their coughs & sneezes! I try to stay as far away from them as possible during cold/flu season! :wink:
My friend posted a meme online the other days that said something to the extent of:

Before I had a toddler, I thought I had a good immune system. Rarely got sick. Turns out I was just really good at avoiding people that sneeze directly into your face while telling you a story.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Just drove from NC to CO and back. Went through KS, MO, and TN. There were people who masked everywhere I stopped. I got gas at Costco a few times and wandered into the store too. Saw all ages, although perhaps more seniors and didn't notice any children. Not many masks around, far less than 1%, but my sense is that the people around them didn't care one way or another.

I skied at Wolf Creek, Vail, and Beaver Creek. There were perhaps a few more people walking around Vail who masked but still a relatively small number.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Just drove from NC to CO and back. Went through KS, MO, and TN. There were people who masked everywhere I stopped. I got gas at Costco a few times and wandered into the store too. Saw all ages, although perhaps more seniors and didn't notice any children. Not many masks around, far less than 1%, but my sense is that the people around them didn't care one way or another.

I skied at Wolf Creek, Vail, and Beaver Creek. There were perhaps a few more people walking around Vail who masked but still a relatively small number.
I think it's going to be hard to get people back into the habit, but it was notable that during the pandemic year the number of flu cases was dramatically reduced, and only 2 children died of the flu, whereas over 100 had typically died annually prior to that year.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski with an 87 year old woman. She was a First Responder in NYC on 911 who lost most of one lung and part of the other to lung cancer. She's my Energizer Bunny who just keeps going and going. Her doctor suggested that she stop skiing, but she is determined, even if she has to stay on Greens in the future.

Two weeks ago, she had an Angioplasty and stent inserted. They kept her in the hospital overnight as a precaution.

The hospital put a Covid positive woman in my friend's room!!!! She said that the woman coughed all night.

This is normally where I stand on my soapbox and preach about having an advocate for anyone in the hospital. That generation is obedient to whatever the doctor says. Someone should have insisted that the woman be moved.

My friend got Covid 4 days later. She has been throughly vaccinated for Covid due to her ongoing lung cancer treatments. (Any comments on the efficacy of the vaccine are political and not necessary.)

Who in their right mind doesn't quarantine a Covid positive person, but especially around an 87 year old lung cancer survivor?

My friend is recovering, but she's weak. Coughing. Sleeping a lot.

Prognosis? Expected to recover. Skiing in 4 weeks.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I tested positive for Covid this morning. I’ve been feeling kinda bad since Wednesday afternoon but tested Thursday and Friday and it was negative so I thought I had a cold. Felt worse last night so tested again and glad I did so I won’t be infecting anyone around the holidays! I’m quarantining but really don’t feel too bad today. I got Paxlovid but I can’t decide whether to take it or not. I will be masking up a lot more going forward this Winter. I got the latest Covid shot just 7 days ago so probably waited too long to get that. Be careful everyone!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I am sick currently.. started Thursday night and then yesterday way worse along with today. Feels like it is all in my sinuses.. tons of pressure in my forehead and face, cough from post nasal drip, nose running like a sieve, sneezing... Doesn’t feel like my lungs are involved currently, thankfully. No sore throat, no fever etc. Really frustrating though, I haven’t been sick in so long and it is reminding me how awful it is. I feel completely miserable. I tested today and was negative, SO is going to get some additional tests tonight so we can test again in the morning. The tests we used were technically expired, and older. I’ve been hearing that at home tests aren’t as good at picking up newer variants and I am not sure if that’s in general or if newer tests have been tweaked for newer variants or what. SO had the same illness earlier this week and is pretty much fine now.. I either caught it from him or it just took longer to hit me. I also just got my flu shot and Tetanus at my yearly physical Tuesday as I still felt fine, so I wonder if I was unknowingly fighting something off and then my immune system got hammered with all sorts of extra stuff to deal with.

Supposed to do family holiday dinner tomorrow, but I am not sure I’m going even if I’m Covid free. Obviously I wouldn’t go if positive. But depends if I still feel so awful too and if I can realistically wear a mask because my nose has been running so constantly. :cry: I feel like everyone is still going to want me to go.. whereas I’d be like heck no if someone else was this sick coming to Christmas gatherings. Lol

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am sick currently.. started Thursday night and then yesterday way worse along with today. Feels like it is all in my sinuses.. tons of pressure in my forehead and face, cough from post nasal drip, nose running like a sieve, sneezing... Doesn’t feel like my lungs are involved currently, thankfully. No sore throat, no fever etc. Really frustrating though, I haven’t been sick in so long and it is reminding me how awful it is. I feel completely miserable. I tested today and was negative, SO is going to get some additional tests tonight so we can test again in the morning. The tests we used were technically expired, and older. I’ve been hearing that at home tests aren’t as good at picking up newer variants and I am not sure if that’s in general or if newer tests have been tweaked for newer variants or what. SO had the same illness earlier this week and is pretty much fine now.. I either caught it from him or it just took longer to hit me. I also just got my flu shot and Tetanus at my yearly physical Tuesday as I still felt fine, so I wonder if I was unknowingly fighting something off and then my immune system got hammered with all sorts of extra stuff to deal with.

Supposed to do family holiday dinner tomorrow, but I am not sure I’m going even if I’m Covid free. Obviously I wouldn’t go if positive. But depends if I still feel so awful too and if I can realistically wear a mask because my nose has been running so constantly. :cry: I feel like everyone is still going to want me to go.. whereas I’d be like heck no if someone else was this sick coming to Christmas gatherings. Lol
Those were my sister’s exact Covid symptoms this fall. She was pretty miserable but recovered fine. Sorry you’re feeling crappy. Being sick SUCKS! Especially over the holidays.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Maybe you have a sinus infection? Have you tried Neti-pot? I was feeling similar symptoms and used my neti pot. Also texted twice negative. In CA we can get four free tests per month. Yesterday I got a manicure and wore a mask!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Those were my sister’s exact Covid symptoms this fall. She was pretty miserable but recovered fine. Sorry you’re feeling crappy. Being sick SUCKS! Especially over the holidays.
Yeah I have seen some other reports of these sorts of symptoms as well.. definitely what worries me with being around others. Did she test positive on a home test?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Maybe you have a sinus infection? Have you tried Neti-pot? I was feeling similar symptoms and used my neti pot. Also texted twice negative. In CA we can get four free tests per month. Yesterday I got a manicure and wore a mask!!
I have not used a neti-pot, have never tried one. You find this helpful for sinus pain and congestion? I’ve been taking Sudafed which helps a lot with the sinus pressure. It just doesn’t work long enough each time and my nose runs and runs and runs still..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna