• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A bit of skiing history.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I thought this was charming: an article from the Rutland (VT) Herald on the first rope tow in the US, installed 75 years ago in Woodstock, VT.

C

CMCM

I love stories like that. Squaw Valley has an interesting history, too. I bought a little book and a video about it, and it's fun to read about how it was in the beginning. One family discovered and lived in the valley all by themselves--in fact, they bought the whole valley themselves, and built their house there and raised their kids, and had a little ski hill with rope tow....this ski hill is actually still there and used for beginning skiers, although it now has a little chair lift and in the summer, the ski hill is part of a golf course. But in the beginning, the ski nuts would hike way up into Squaw's upper mountain to ski down, and boy was that ever a big deal....it's steep and a long way to the top! But when you look back into the 40's and 50's, it's just so fascinating to read about and imagine how it was back then in the early days.

Here's a little article about the Poulsen's, and in particular Sandy Poulsen,who were the original owners of all of Squaw Valley. I think Sandy would qualify as perhaps the very first SKI DIVA! She even has one of Squaw's most challenging peaks named for her in a funny sort of way...KT22....representing how many kick turns it took her to descend the run!
https://thestormking.com/Sierra_Stories/Sandy_Poulsen/sandy_poulsen.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna