• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

5 Things......Be creative!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On Epic, there is a thread about listing your top 5's when it comes to skiing.
Can be ski gear you love, things that stoke you, or anything else you feel like listing.
I'll start with my list of things that get me going:
1-Skiing with my niece and nephew when they're home on college break.
2-Seeing the UPS/DHL/FedEx man pull up to my house
3-Hiking for turns in October, even if its in my literal back yard on 4 inches of snow.
4-Getting the ski gear out and feeling like your old friends are happy you are carressing them with fresh wax.
5-That Foreplay spot on the road when you're ten minutes away from the ski resort but you start to see Thor and Loki.(See Nov issue of Ski, Page 78), you know the orgasmic feeling is only achievable when your skis hit the snow.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Oooooo, so many things to choose from!

1) The wonderful, flying feeling I get when it seems like everything's clicking and I'm having a good run;
2) The view from the top on a sunny, blue sky, non-windy day;
3) Days when there are only a few people on the mountain, and I feel like I have it all to myself (well, almost);
4) The after-glow of skiing, when I feel like I've had a good work-out and I'm tired, but it's a good tired;
5) Getting into the hot tub (if one's available) after a great ski day.

dburdenbates

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great thread!

1. Watching the web cams and snow reports for the upcoming ski trip and seeing that there's been a big dump.
2. The first lift ride up and looking behind me to see the gorgeous mountain views.
3. Wearing winter clothes, having a chill in the air, and being able to see my breath.
4. The first apres ski beer at the lodge and then the next one (or two or three) in the hot tub.
5. Long, empty, rolling trails.

Ooh, I think I'm getting exciting. :D

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot said:
Getting the ski gear out and feeling like your old friends are happy you are carressing them with fresh wax. That Foreplay spot on the road when you're ten minutes away from the ski resort but you start to see Thor and Loki.(See Nov issue of Ski, Page 78), you know the orgasmic feeling is only achievable when your skis hit the snow.

Caressing???? Foreplay??? Orgasmic???

Can anyone top this?

My gosh, you said it all -- I never thought I'd do this on a forum, but SnowHot, here goes ...

WHAT YOU SAID.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
-The drive up to the resort (I love how most ski resorts have long windy tree-lined roads leading up to the lodge once you turn in at the 'sign')
-The silence when it is snowing and you feel like your ears are covered in cotton
-When you first drop down the start of a steeper trail... I love that feeling of 'Oh, this looks kinda steep' converting to my body just perfectly pitched to rip down the slope and then at the end feeling like 'Man I almost made that look good!'
-The way my face feels like it's made of tight hot leather when I walk into the lodge after a brutally cold day on the slopes
-How good a simple bologna sandwich packed in your pocket all day can taste when you're huddled on a lift or smooshed in at the end of a table in a crowded lodge for your 10-minute lunch break

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1) The sound of the charilift when you first get out of the car.
2) The strangely melodic sound of silence late at night when all the kids are off the hill.
3) The sound of snow guns and getting air off their 'whales'.
4) The uncontrollable giggles that come on at the bottom of the perfect run on the perfect skis.
5) Knowing the hot tub is ready and waiting when we get home. :smile:

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Getting your gear on in the lodge, everybody smiling in anticipation, knowing that what you will be feeling will be wholly shared by your friends.
2. The crisp clear silence of a cold and sunny day.
3. The out-of-body sensation from flying on perfect snow.
4. A face-cracking grin the whole length of a run, then finding tears at the end of it.:D
5. The hot-cold hard-jelly tingle-burn of muscle and frozen skin at the end of the day and how it mostly melts away in the hot tub, but leaves you with enough sensation to be distracting.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SnowHot said:
5-That Foreplay spot on the road when you're ten minutes away from the ski resort but you start to see Thor and Loki.

That's also my "Doesn't it drive you crazy?" moment. You see the ribbons of white or lights and know you're still 10 minutes away (down the hill, up the hill, down the hill, up the hill....into the driveway finally...ahhhhhh).

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Arriving at the mountain before the crowds, when it's just the ski patrollers and the lifties getting the mountain ready for the day.

2. Slipping into the woods to our favorite powder stash, knowing that we will be laying down fresh tracks in our private dance with the mountain.

3. Standing still in the trees on a quiet day, listening to the chickadees twittering and the snow plopping off the tree branches, and then sharing a kiss with my husband as we both revel in Mother Nature's glory.

4. Arriving at the mountain and discovering that the "Jay Cloud" left 2 feet of freshies...and no one's there because a powder day wasn't in the forecast.

5. Sharing drinks, munchies and stories with the other ski patrollers at the end of the day, after they've done sweep to make sure all the guests are off the mountain.

Honestly, that's just the start of what I love about skiing...

Thatsagirl

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love your visuals. Thanks for sharing! I'll be thinking of all this. Honestly, despite all my best intentions, I'm never first on the mountain. Too many trips to the bathroom, too many objects to stuff back into my boot bag, too many times needed to check my pockets for those lost keys, too many layers to put on and then take off when I realize I overdid it. And all this even though I always get up first!

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. The steadily growing grin on my face while getting the gear in the car.
2. The way the dinky little hill looks an enchantingly glowing white from five minutes away.
3. Having the "didn't sleep enough last night, been in the car too long, exhausted" feeling replaced with an excited energy rush the second I get on the hill.
4. (At least feeling like I'm) flying on snow.
5. Seeing 5 year old girls whiz by with their dads trailing behind them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd bump this up for our newer members. Anyone care to add their thoughts?

SnowGlider

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. The sun setting on Mt. Washington, seen from Bretton Woods. The mountain turns pink and yellow.

2. Skiing with the oldsters. They're the nicest bunch of folks you'll ever meet, and they change the way you see age. 55 is not that old when your liftmate is 85.

3. Corduroy. I always inform my instructors, "I have a nonnegotiable policy that I only ski on corduroy. Okay?"

4. Gloves and mittens. I have a fetish for them. I had to give away at least 10 pairs to my neighbors this year because their 5 children didn't have any and I had way too many.

5. How the top of the mountain feels like another universe, with big globs of snow on the pines and everything sparkly white.

6. Ever notice how, after a full day of skiing, as you leave the mountain in your car and you're steering around curves, you can still feel the skis on your feet and you make weight shifts as the car turns?

7. Boots that finally fit!!!

8. Meditating on a slow lift on a warm day.

9. Hot oatmeal out of a thermos for breakfast in the lodge, by the fireplace.

10. Looking back up at the steep slope you just came down and saying, "HA! DID IT!"

11. Lying on your back in the snow after a fall, staring up at the clear blue sky, and thinking, "I can lie here as long as I want and just enjoy the sky and the fresh air."

Woops, did you say top 5? Sorry, got carried away!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
creative 5 things

1) Rubber duckies floating in the snow making ponds
2) Offerrings to the snow gods in the trees, beads, bras etc.
3) Acting like a kid and getting away with it being around other adults acting like kids
4) Adrenaline
5) laughter

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Feeling completely comfortable on my skis, and in my ski clothes.
2. The first few runs in the early morning, before the crowds and liftlines start
3. Those moments when you're flying down a run and everything feels like it has come together
4. Planning and taking ski trips
5.That feeling at the end of the day that you had a good dose of fresh air and a great workout

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Walking around the house in August in my ski boots.
2. The rythmic sound of the file on the base of a ski.....skkkkkk, skkkkkk, skkkkkk.
3. The inviting smell of melting wax and the slight "snick" as the waxing iron cycles on and off.
4. The thwaaaack and sting of the gates hitting your body when you've found "the fast line" in a race. And standing at the end of the course rubbing that killer sting out of your arms, hips, shoulders, and sometimes even your face. :redface:
5. The sparkle and crunch of the snow on really cold, dry days.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
1. Getting out of my car in the crisp morning air before the crowds arrive looking up at fresh snow on the slopes.
2. That moment when one of the kids I'm coaching gets something we've been working on. And then watching them tell their parents at the end of the day.
3. Getting off the lift for the first run of the season, anticipating that first turn.
4. Looking up at your tracks and knowing that I created that smooth arcing pattern.
5. Anticipation of the next day of turns after the end of a great day on the slopes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna