• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

4'9" and 86 lbs - suggestions for light, soft, flexible skis

Robin

Diva in Training
I've been following some of the "short" skier posts but I'm ridiculously shorter and lighter than most of the people posting. I need a 140 or shorter ski for my lack of height and a light, soft, flexible ski for my lack of weight. Many of the options mentioned don't go below 149 or higher and/or are too stiff for my weight. Suggestions? Other than a jr ski? Thanks!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi there! It's not often I meet someone smaller than me. What are you skiing now? What are you looking for in a ski (width, what do you tend to ski)? It's going to be tough to avoid junior skis or very entry level women's skis once you get as low as 140 and below. Even going low-to-mid 140s will open up more options. FWIW, there are some higher end junior options out there (wood core, not foam) that I would totally try (other than jr race skis). Also tagging @SkiBam as she's one of the smaller skiers on here.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think if you are dead set on staying below 140cm in a ski then you are really looking at beginner skis or some park skis which will be soft and flexible and probably light-ish but may not necessarily be great for progression of technique over time if that is a goal for you (I am not sure if you just want to buy skis so you don't have to hire, or if you're heading down the riute of serious investment). If you can manage a 140cm all-mountain ski such as the Salomon Stance, or even go to 144cm for something like the Astral 78 you will get a ski that is more likely to be a partner in progression rather than something you outgrow.

Secondly (although MUCH more importantly) - do you own well fitted boots? I imagine you need a shorter cuff unless you have unusual proportions, and that can be tricky without a bootfitter. Good boots may make the skis that you think are too stiff and long more accessible if you can finally flex an appropriate length cuff!!

Robin

Diva in Training
Thank you @tinymoose and @scandium! I appreciate your insights. I am good with a 140 so that opens up options. In terms of skis, I live in the east and mostly ski in this part of the country other than a trip or two a year to visit our son in CO. Up until last year, I'd only been getting out skiing a few times a year if that and when I did I had been using hand-me-downs that went from my niece to my kids from like 20 years ago. Then last year I decided to get back into skiing more and rented from the local ski resort for the most of the season. I started with a 149 ha and then a 130 and then landed on a 140.
My goal had been to get to become a better skiier so I can get into and enjoy uphill/backcountry skiing in more places. At the moment I'm only good enough for uphill skiing at resorts, but I would love to be good enough someday to do more backcountry and not be terrified of tree skiing for example.
So I bought an AT setup -- Dynafit Youngstar Seven Summits 140 skis and Salomon Shift Pro 80T AT ski boots -- that I thought I would use for everything--lift skiing AND uphill skiing. But the boots turned out to be no fun for the uphill and I am starting to think I would be better off having two different setups: one for lift skiing and one for uphill rather than trying to do everything in one setup. That way I can work on my downhill technique in a good alpine setup and then enjoy the uphill skiing in a lightweight setup. And I'm having a hard time finding skis and boots that will allow my to get faster and more confident building speed rather than constantly trying to slow myself down by turning way more than anyone else.
I also appreciate your point about boots @scandium. Any specific recommendations for ones with a shorter cuff? You're right in terms of some boots feeling like they go up to my knees!
Thank you both again and I look forward to your suggestions! Also @SkiBam

marzNC

Angel Diva
Any specific recommendations for ones with a shorter cuff?
What I did when I bought my third pair of good boots was switch to a 3-buckle style, also called cabrio. I'm pretty much 5'0" with short legs and dancer calves, so definitely need a shorter cuff. My street shoe size is 7.0-7.5 so I don't need a smaller than average mondo size.

Have you read the Gearpedia info about boot fitting?

Robin

Diva in Training
What I did when I bought my third pair of good boots was switch to a 3-buckle style, also called cabrio. I'm pretty much 5'0" with short legs and dancer calves, so definitely need a shorter cuff. My street shoe size is 7.0-7.5 so I don't need a smaller than average mondo size.

Have you read the Gearpedia info about boot fitting?
Thank you! I just read the Gearpedia post. :smile:

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm sure there are other sites that will filter by size, but I know SkiEssentials.com does. Might check a few others out, as most shops are getting inventory loaded onto their webpages for this upcoming season. From a quick look on Ski Essentials, most skis in the 138-142 range are indeed junior skis. I will note, that I feel at your size, there are some more advanced junior skis out there that might be what you're looking for.

From the Ski Essentials page, the Atomic Q9 might be something to look into for an on-piste groomer ski, that would be pretty great in the east. If you're looking for something more versatile, and all-mountain oriented, I would look at some junior skis...the Volkl Mantra comes to mind one of the best constructions you can find in a junior ski. Then of course you can go junior race to get top end performance from a ski in your size.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just doing a quick search on Evo and SkiEssentials came up with a few shorter women's options. Super Joy are more carver oriented than the others. I also added the waist width when it wasn't in the name. Wasn't sure if you're looking for a second ski that is more all-mountain or more carver/frontside oriented?

Nordica Santa Ana 84 - 144
Blizzard Black Pearl 82 - 145 @shadoj is this what you have???
Head Super Joy (75) - 143
Fischer Ranger (86) - 142

But at your size, there's a ton of great high-end junior options out there too I definitely would not write off. You just have to be careful with junior skis to stay away from the lower end models, which will often have foam cores, all cap construction, and won't really be performance oriented. I'm a bit bigger than you at 5'1" and 95 lbs. and I ski a pair of junior race skis for one of my pairs, and wouldn't hesitate to try some of the higher end junior models. I didn't look through them super closely, but Black Crows seems to have a pretty extensive junior collection.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Any specific recommendations for ones with a shorter cuff?
I think the best bet is a bootfitter. I know that sometimes they can order in shorter cuffs or do modifications to the shell within reason - more important is the overall fit!!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Well, I'm a similar height but about 20 lbs heavier so I think that would make a big difference in how one feels on a particular ski. I'm an advanced skier and seem happiest on a ski around 147 - 149 or so. I've never been particularly happy on a shorter ski. As others have suggested, look at junior models, but of course, try before you buy. Someone mentioned 3-buckle boots - I have Dalbellos (I forget the model - 3 buckles) - love love love them. Good luck with the search!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey! My sister is around your height but a little heavier, so this is an interesting discussion as I want to try to get her into skiing again. The first ski that popped into my mind in this weight and height range was the Moment Carson:

It is a youth ski but has the same quality materials and shape as the Bibby Pros / Wildcat men’s ski, and the Hot Mess women’s ski, but in a package for petite riders. Also love the art this year, very reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki’s Spirited Away with a western art twist! Thought it was with showing, as a very high quality youth ski for youth athletes which doesn’t compromise on wood and materials but from what I’ve heard, allows the lighter and smaller riders to flex and utilize it. This could be something you could call and ask them about however. It comes in sizes 136 and 146, and their size guide is very accurate in my experience. It recommends if you are intermediate at your height going with a 136, and if you are advanced, going 146, as it has some rocker on its tips and tails. It sounds like you are well into advanced so I’d think 146 would work the best but once again you could call them anytime and ask, they are super friendly and helpful (and make their skis by hand in the US!)

I’ll keep my eye out for more skis that fall in the 140 range of heights!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Haha kind of a random suggestion that my husband gave me, but I just looked and Japanese unisex skis are offered in a far greater lower range of lengths than most of our American brands. For example, here is an on and off piste technical carving ski by Ogasaka which is specified to be good for light riders:

It comes in 140 and 145 lengths and has a waist width of 69, so this would be much more of a carving and east coast oriented ski. Just a fun thing to look at, as several countries have markets for people who are shorter and lighter on average than most Americans and Europeans.

Robin

Diva in Training
Thank you @elemmac @tinymoose @Sokolva @SkiBam for your thoughtful suggestions. I appreciate you all! I'm an intermediate East coast skier if that helps. Super cautious but wanting to become more less aggressive/less afraid of speed and less fearful of losing control. So probably a carver? Don't know how or if that impacts boots.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I appreciate you all! I'm an intermediate East coast skier if that helps. Super cautious but wanting to become more less aggressive/less afraid of speed and less fearful of losing control. So probably a carver? Don't know how or if that impacts boots.
Regardless of what skis you are using, as long as you have well-fitted boots they will be fine.

When I started skiing more regularly once I discovered that my daughter loved to ski (age 4), I initially bought a pair of used rental skis that were 136cm. I was an adventurous advanced beginner based on having learned to ski as a teen but only skiing a few days every few years as a working adult. What I found when I started demo'ing skis is that longer skis were more stable at somewhat higher speeds. Of course, if skis were too long then they were hard work to turn.

Note that I learned to ski on straight skis over my head so skis that came up to my forehead didn't bother me even as an intermediate. Now as a solid advanced skier over 65, my skis for east coast slopes are 10cm shorter than my all-mountain skis I enjoy at big mountains in the Rockies.

Jilly

Staff member
So you are thinking frontside carver 140 or under. I'm avoiding working this morning.

Rossi - Nova 6 or 8, 142cm
Nordica Belle - 72 or 73 (waist) 138 and 144
Head - Absolute Joy (80waist) 143, Real Joy (75 waist) 143
Blizzard - Phoenix, but smallest is 146

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you @elemmac @tinymoose @Sokolva @SkiBam for your thoughtful suggestions. I appreciate you all! I'm an intermediate East coast skier if that helps. Super cautious but wanting to become more less aggressive/less afraid of speed and less fearful of losing control. So probably a carver? Don't know how or if that impacts boots.
Maybe something like the Head Absolut Joy? More frontside/carving oriented but still not crazy narrow? I think @marzNC had them or at least has skied them before? They come in a 143. Not a beginner ski, but won't be as demanding as the Super Joy I listed upthread.

ETA: oops! see Jilly already mentioned them while I was typing my message

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Super cautious but wanting to become more less aggressive/less afraid of speed and less fearful of losing control. So probably a carver? Don't know how or if that impacts boots.
When was the last time you took a lesson? I know that they are often out of many people's budgets, but I've found that an instructor takes me places that I didn't think I was capable of skiing, which in turn gives me more confidence - even one or two group lessons can help a lot with that. Also.... lessons without people you know can be beneficial and help get one out of their preconceived notions.

The boots affect the skis way more than the other way around because boots are an extension/part of your feet. When you've got good fitting boots, the skier's inputs translate more directly to the skis. Generally, sloppy boots mean that the skier is often doing extraneous things to get the skis to respond, and when you do extraneous things with your base (feet), the rest of the body does whacko things to compensate (these are, obviously, technical terms lol), which down the road means you're learning bad habits.

Robin

Diva in Training
Maybe something like the Head Absolut Joy? More frontside/carving oriented but still not crazy narrow? I think @marzNC had them or at least has skied them before? They come in a 143. Not a beginner ski, but won't be as demanding as the Super Joy I listed upthread.

ETA: oops! see Jilly already mentioned them while I was typing my message
Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion @tinymoose! I'll look into the Head.

Robin

Diva in Training
When was the last time you took a lesson? I know that they are often out of many people's budgets, but I've found that an instructor takes me places that I didn't think I was capable of skiing, which in turn gives me more confidence - even one or two group lessons can help a lot with that. Also.... lessons without people you know can be beneficial and help get one out of their preconceived notions.

The boots affect the skis way more than the other way around because boots are an extension/part of your feet. When you've got good fitting boots, the skier's inputs translate more directly to the skis. Generally, sloppy boots mean that the skier is often doing extraneous things to get the skis to respond, and when you do extraneous things with your base (feet), the rest of the body does whacko things to compensate (these are, obviously, technical terms lol), which down the road means you're learning bad habits.
Thank you @Pequenita for that insight. I will give more thought to boots.

Robin

Diva in Training
So you are thinking frontside carver 140 or under. I'm avoiding working this morning.

Rossi - Nova 6 or 8, 142cm
Nordica Belle - 72 or 73 (waist) 138 and 144
Head - Absolute Joy (80waist) 143, Real Joy (75 waist) 143
Blizzard - Phoenix, but smallest is 146
Thanks @Jilly! You've given me lots of great options to look into now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna