• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2023-24 Colorado resorts, conditions, and meetups

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I've been paying a lot of attention to A-Basin's snowmaking this week so I thought I'd get the Colorado season thread going. Most of my posts will be Summit Country-centric but please jump in with other areas if you ski there. I'll try to add Steamboat info as Diva West approaches, as well.

A-Basin got some nice snow last week followed by some nice cold days and got a lot of snowmaking done. I thought opening next weekend was out of the question since the weather gets a little warmer again now, but the tone of their social media seems to be teasing it as a possibility.

Last blog post says they're "slightly more than halfway-ish there". :smile:

Really hoping to be able to sneak in a day next weekend... we're out of town the last weekend in October so that will be my only shot at an October day this year.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Steamboat has released their new trail map for 23-24, which includes 2 big new things:
- The Mahogany Ridge Express, a new chair with access to a whole new pod of skiing, far looker's left on the map.
- The second segment of the Wild Blue Gondola, which takes you straight from the base to the top of Sunshine Peak. It's apparently the longest & fastest gondola in North America.

steamboat-trailmap.jpg

Full-sized version here:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks for this. I am a constant "lurker" as I enjoy the female perspective. I buy the EPIC pass and ski in CA and CO. I don't often see posts that apply. I will be watching this area with hopes of participating more.
Welcome!

I have an Epic pass for the first time. Been skiing Ikon resorts. Mostly for a trip to Crested Butte in March, but I plan on sampling Epic resorts in Colorado as part of other trips as well. I'm going to start with Vail and Beaver Creek in December after what's become an annual early season week at Wolf Creek with a few ski buddies from multiple states.

What's your favorite Epic resort in Colorado?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this. I am a constant "lurker" as I enjoy the female perspective. I buy the EPIC pass and ski in CA and CO. I don't often see posts that apply. I will be watching this area with hopes of participating more.
Where around CA do you ski?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Where in CA do you ski? This year I have both Epic and Ikon!

ETA: Oops I didn't see @SnowHot 's post.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where in CA do you ski? This year I have both Epic and Ikon!

ETA: Oops I didn't see @SnowHot 's post.
FWIW, I used to have Epic but since 2020 I've only had IKON and Mt Rose.
I used IKON out of the Tahoe area far more last two seasons than I have in the Tahoe area.
The only Epic resort I skied last season was Crested Butte.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'll continue to get EPIC as have timeshare across the street from the Heavenly gondola and BF's family has house at Northstar.... Also have used at Crested Butte, Park City, Vail and BC......This is the first season I have purchased IKON so let's see where that goes. I've been skiing Taos (4x now) without a pass, but I decided to purchase IKON for Diva West at Steamboat. That means I can also ski Palisades and Mammoth. So there's that.

Ski Betty

Diva in Training
I have a son and DIL in Breckenridge (with an extra room) so I spend a lot of time there. I enjoy the variety of nearby resorts as Keystone, Vail, and Beaver Creek are all EPIC and a short shuttle away. Never been to Crested Butte.
For marzNZ - Both Beaver Creek and Vail are great for that upscale experience. The Mountain might not be fully open in Dec. but the great restaurants and shopping will be

For SantaCruz - To Tahoe, I travel with my husband who no longer skis so I mostly ski on my own. Kirkwood is closest and a favorite of my younger self. I also really like Northstar (Lookout Mnt & Backside) I rarely get to Heavenly but lucky you with a timeshare there. There are two local mountains Bear Valley and Dodge Ridge that I also frequent.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have a son and DIL in Breckenridge (with an extra room) so I spend a lot of time there. I enjoy the variety of nearby resorts as Keystone, Vail, and Beaver Creek are all EPIC and a short shuttle away. Never been to Crested Butte.
For marzNZ - Both Beaver Creek and Vail are great for that upscale experience. The Mountain might not be fully open in Dec. but the great restaurants and shopping will be
Sounds like fun!

My plan is to stop by Breck and Keystone before heading to CB in late March. Trails maps always make more sense even if I've only skied one trail off a lift. Makes it easier to decide whether or not to plan a longer ski trip to a given resort or region with resorts close together.

Skiskisarah

Certified Ski Diva
Became addicted to I-70 last year! We went out in January and loved it so much we carved out some time for a late trip in early April. It was slushy fun. Have the epic pass again this season but added the Indy pass mainly for the East Coast (Jay & Cannon).

Question in long format: Last year I went solo to Park City for the early season but this year I’m doing a solo trip to Breck first week in December, I’m staying at Peak 7, couldn’t pass up the convenience. Rented a car the last two trips but going to take the shuttle from the airport this time. How difficult is it to get to Keystone from Breck in the early season by shuttle/public transport? Should I bother trying to get over to Vail that early with no car? Also I’ll be out again in early Feb, staying on Peak 8, are any of the Indy resorts worth visiting in Colorado?

Appreciate any advice from peeps! Can’t wait to get back. ✌

marzNC

Angel Diva
Also I’ll be out again in early Feb, staying on Peak 8, are any of the Indy resorts worth visiting in Colorado?
From what I've read, the only Indy mountain that might be worth considering would be Sunlight. Granby Ranch and Echo are tiny, meaning the vertical is 1000 ft or less. I assume they cater to locals who like night skiing.

IceHeeler

Angel Diva
Really hoping to be able to sneak in a day next weekend... we're out of town the last weekend in October so that will be my only shot at an October day this year.
Word around the campfire is they have enough of a base layer already and plan to open on October 20th. Hopefully the gossip is true and you'll be able to get a few turns in this weekend.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Word around the campfire is they have enough of a base layer already and plan to open on October 20th. Hopefully the gossip is true and you'll be able to get a few turns in this weekend.

I love your optimism, it's just so warm up there, and I don't see any snowcats or anything on the webcams yet. Next weekend seems totally doable, though.

These are mid-mountain temps, so even warmer at the base and in the 60s in Dillon! Phew.
Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 12.31.39 PM.png

Ttm207

Angel Diva
There's usually a free Summit Stage Bus that will take you between Breck and Keystone - I believe it's the Swan Mountain Flyer Route. I've taken it once and it wasn't too much longer than driving, maybe around 30 minutes. Dropped us off at the Gondola Lot. I think in the past it's started running in November but not sure what the schedule looks like this year as I've read about labor shortages affecting bus routes/frequency. Hope that helps.

Skiskisarah

Certified Ski Diva
There's usually a free Summit Stage Bus that will take you between Breck and Keystone - I believe it's the Swan Mountain Flyer Route. I've taken it once and it wasn't too much longer than driving, maybe around 30 minutes. Dropped us off at the Gondola Lot. I think in the past it's started running in November but not sure what the schedule looks like this year as I've read about labor shortages affecting bus routes/frequency. Hope that helps.

So helpful! Thanks.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

Yes! Sadly the Swan Mountain Flyer route that goes Breck <-> Keystone <-> A-Basin doesn't start up again until mid-November. They'll update here once they've switched to the winter schedules: https://www.summitcountyco.gov/360/Bus-Schedule

The Summit Stage app is a little clunky to use but works well for showing you exactly where the buses are, though you will occasionally get a bus that's not set up right to show up in the app at all, which is a bummer.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Became addicted to I-70 last year! We went out in January and loved it so much we carved out some time for a late trip in early April. It was slushy fun. Have the epic pass again this season but added the Indy pass mainly for the East Coast (Jay & Cannon).

Question in long format: Last year I went solo to Park City for the early season but this year I’m doing a solo trip to Breck first week in December, I’m staying at Peak 7, couldn’t pass up the convenience. Rented a car the last two trips but going to take the shuttle from the airport this time. How difficult is it to get to Keystone from Breck in the early season by shuttle/public transport? Should I bother trying to get over to Vail that early with no car? Also I’ll be out again in early Feb, staying on Peak 8, are any of the Indy resorts worth visiting in Colorado?

Appreciate any advice from peeps! Can’t wait to get back. ✌
IIRC, in the past few years, Peak 8 is usually the first to open, then Peak 9 in late November/early December, then Peak 7 and the rest. When you say you’re staying at Peak 7, does that mean you’ll be using the Gondola or the Black route (I just remember they changed the name of this route to something else. Gold?) to get to Peak 8 and into town? The Gondola downloads to Breck Station, the main transit hub. From there you can take local buses around town or the Summit Stage to Frisco, Keystone, etc. If you’re adventurous, there’s a transfer station at Frisco for another bus to Copper Mtn.

I’ve almost always taken the shuttle from the Airport. You get a 20% discount with Epic Mountain Shuttle using your Epic pass. Do make a reservation. Sometimes they get booked up and your preferred departure time might not be available. More applicable for February then December.

Skiskisarah

Certified Ski Diva
IIRC, in the past few years, Peak 8 is usually the first to open, then Peak 9 in late November/early December, then Peak 7 and the rest. When you say you’re staying at Peak 7, does that mean you’ll be using the Gondola or the Black route (I just remember they changed the name of this route to something else. Gold?) to get to Peak 8 and into town? The Gondola downloads to Breck Station, the main transit hub. From there you can take local buses around town or the Summit Stage to Frisco, Keystone, etc. If you’re adventurous, there’s a transfer station at Frisco for another bus to Copper Mtn.

I’ve almost always taken the shuttle from the Airport. You get a 20% discount with Epic Mountain Shuttle using your Epic pass. Do make a reservation. Sometimes they get booked up and your preferred departure time might not be available. More applicable for February then December.
Great info thanks! As long as the gondola doesn’t bypass Peak 7, I’m hoping I’m okay. It doesn’t, right? I’ll check into that. Just checked, good to go starting Nov 10th. I don’t mind riding the gondola over to Peak 8 and back, since 7 will likely be closed. I think the shuttle was Gold last year.

Is it worth it to check out Copper that early? I’ll keep it in mind. Yes I’m up for adventure this season!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga