• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add webmaster@theskidiva.com to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2019 Summer biking goals

“49 seconds...” - LOL!

That’s amazing, @geargrrl. Is he pleased with his time? With the whole experience?
I imagine so. I've hardly talked to him. The nature of the route is that there's only connectivity every so often. When he DID get to a place with a signal, he's trying to eat, shower, buy food and rest so he wasn't real chatty.He would text me, text his coach, put a couple of photos on facebook and call it good. His trained very hard and his goal was to do it in 25 days which he met.

It's probably one of the harder bike races out there. 100% self support, all dirt, no rest days, no team sag, none of that. People get sick, injured, sick of racing; weather can be terrible. I think a guy died of hypothermia one year. It's really hard on the bikes. A rabbit at holes in his shoes. They don't carry stoves as cooking takes too much time. You get a hamburger in a town and put three more in your bag to last you to the next town.

aka, craziness.

Here's an interesting link.
https://tourdivide.org/caveat

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My brother did the Divide Ride many years ago, but didn’t race it. His experience was a lot different without the time pressure! He really enjoyed it. They were also self-supporting.

My brother did the Divide Ride many years ago, but didn’t race it. His experience was a lot different without the time pressure! He really enjoyed it. They were also self-supporting.
There are lots of different ways to do it. Some folks do sections every year. Some have sag, some do guided tours with sag, self support, you name it. Hub did 700 miles touring pulling a BOB last year.

The race is BRUTAL. Only for the most committed. Hub is very pleased with his outcome. He prepared and trained for 6 months. He says it is the hardest thing he has ever done.

Sorry for hijacking this thread to talk about some guy.....

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are lots of different ways to do it. Some folks do sections every year. Some have sag, some do guided tours with sag, self support, you name it. Hub did 700 miles touring pulling a BOB last year.

The race is BRUTAL. Only for the most committed. Hub is very pleased with his outcome. He prepared and trained for 6 months. He says it is the hardest thing he has ever done.

Sorry for hijacking this thread to talk about some guy.....
And younger folks might not appreciate the extra challenge of doing something like this as we get older. It's a lot harder! So impressive. You two are living life right--love your instagram posts for sure!!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did my little "race" yesterday. 13.5 miles which doesn't sound like much, but I'm telling you, some of the climbing was BRUTAL and I was able to use it to my advantage as several of the ladies rode way too hard early on and burned out, so I passed them. It rained HARD, too! So, settled the moondust BUT made the rocks and climbing over the rocks extra challenging, as they were slick. I almost came off on a couple of switchbacks that have rocks in them because of it. I was I believe 12th out of 30 riders, and as I looked around, there was one other woman who was probably older than me. The rest were in their 20s and 30s. I got intimidated and held back at the start, which ended up holding me behind because many of them couldn't ride the rock gardens and didn't get off the trail so I could pass them. :doh:

I learned that I am a lot stronger on the downhill than I give myself credit for, that I am a really well-rounded rider, and that I canNOT outclimb women much younger than me at least at a sprint pace, but I CAN hang when you spread that climbing out over a distance. I'd love to be able to race more but against women closer to my age.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Triple Bypass was also yesterday and I finished. I finished so much stronger and faster than I expected! I had estimated 10-11 hours ride time, and approx. 12 hours total after adding in rest break time. My phone died about halfway through so I don’t have Strava data for the full ride. So I know my start and finish time and my old-school bike computer estimate of moving time.

Total time on course was about 10 1/2 hours, and estimated moving time was about 8:45 hours. I am absolutely thrilled. That is so much faster than I expected. The weather was fantastic. I felt pretty strong for most of the ride although I faded a bit the last maybe 10 miles because I didn’t eat at the last rest stop. I was impatient and knew it was mostly downhill to the finish where there was food and I just wanted to get done. Otherwise I’m super pleased with how I trained and rode tactically. That’s really the only mistake I can identify.

The Sweetie finished about 2 hours ahead of me and met me at the finish line where I maybe got a little emotional.

I’m really ready to get back to cycling just for fun and not to train for something, and also to do a bunch of other stuff for the rest of the summer. I miss hiking!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do they do age categories? Our local series lumps 40+ into one category and I find that really annoying. There's a lot of physical change between 40 and 58.
No age breakdown at all :frown: I don't think there are enough women competing at this time. Maybe that's partly why! And 40+ is definitely not a great breakdown, either.

Congrats, @contesstant! That sounds fab!
Thank you! You too!!!

After reading op (s), I was guilted into going for a bike ride today. Beautiful day low 70's. So took out my road bike out and rode about 9 miles (mostly uphill) to UC Santa Cruz campus from the ocean.... Took less than an hour and 800 ft elevation gain....Ocean view the way down!!! Yeah nothing compared to the others but at least I got out there! No rock gardens but definitely a climb.....

Members Online