• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

1st time knee problem

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Will concur/echo what itri and pinto have said.
Surgery should be the last resort, but I'm of the mindset to avoid it until no other options exist. I'm not even a fan of draining, because there are non-invasive methods of reducing swelling that work pretty well.
Richard Steadman is Top Dog Orthopedist, if it comes down to that......but this really can be managed. Taping works - at least it did for me (NO NOISE, NO PAIN!), in conjunction with the specific muscle training.

altagirl

Staff member
Altagirl, usually what they do for patellar issues is a lateral release. The theory is that the muscles and tissues on the outside of the knee are too tight so they "release" them to allow the patella to track properly. In reality, this should only be a last resort when PT and a major VMO strengthening program have failed. Even then, it's not really a guaranteed fix.

That's what I was thinking too - I just wanted to see if they were talking about lateral release or something else. Because both is it often either ineffective or even counterproductive, but it wouldn't be called a major procedure either. So lateral release doesn't necessarily sound like what they're talking about here, though it's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear patella issues and surgery.

I have had a friend who had "knee alignment" done but it was basically cutting through the leg bones to align the knee. Not really a patella related thing though - but that would definitely qualify as major knee alignment surgery...

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
OK ladies!! I'm BACK from the doc. No draining, no cortisone today. I woke up to an unswollen knee and very little pain (still some). But I went back to follow up because I made the appointment so I figured I should.

She yelled at me about doing the exercises and is getting me a patellar stabilizing brace. She said it works great for some and does nothing for others...so we'll see. It will be in tomorrow. She also wants me taking Aleve/Motrin 3 times a day regardless of symptoms for the rest of the season and icing every time after I ski.

She seems to agree that this problem can be combatted with exercise and strenghtening too. Regardless, I'm happy!!

After this appointment today, I went to the dentist...then I finally got to the office and my PC was totally fried. But tomorrow....I'm skiing dammit!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hey - good news!
Those of us (speaking for myself alone, of course) who have been there/still are doing "that" told ya so! :wink:

It's manageable - comes and goes. You just gave it a serious work-out of the skiing kind. Stabilizer will help. The specific exercises help more.

Hang tough, take the meds (anti-inflammatory!), go have fun.

beckt

Certified Ski Diva
I've had my knee tapped twice - not as bad as it sounds - One time I was in so much pain - I had a spontaneous bleed in the knee- I even asked the surgeon to try another spot to try to get more out. He pulled out 20 ml of blood - the rest had clotted. I do imagine they will lidocaine the site first. I personally had dilaudid, but I was in PAIN - . It's been a couple of years - but my knee still sometimes feels stiff and full. Another time I had fluid ( i fell ice skating) on the knee and that was tapped too - I don't remember any real issues other than lidocaine injection to the area. Hope it helps - it may still feel full after the tap. The fluid - what is left - mostly gets reabsorbed.

QA1

Certified Ski Diva
I am totally in the work it out group. My right knee is still a little (relative) swollen after an unfortunate wine, flip flop, and basketball episode this summer. Cortizone is the old school remedy for fixing nothing. Tracking issues are new school. Glucosamine, taping, cw-x tights, and exercise are your new friends. It seems like everyone, except your first doctor, is on board with the non-invasive treatment. My PT said it might just go away. I think he is nuts, or just very, very optimistic. Then I thought, what does it hurt to be optimistic! White light! :ski2:

JaneB

PSIA 1 Instructor, Killington
I am in total agreement with the suggestions to consult with a PT and consider surgery a LAST RESORT. I had a nightmare result from an elective knee surgery and ended up having one of the surgeons now at Steadman Hawkins fix the mess. This was all to the tune of $80,000 and two years of disability, which would have been permanent if not for the second surgeon. So I would echo S-H clinic for a consult and not go the surgery route without knowing it's your last resort.

I too had maltracking issues but with a few months of PT was OK again (this was after all the surgeries).

I saw Dr. Peter Millett, now at S-H, when he was in Boston. He salvaged my knee. If it ever comes to that, I highly recommend him. He'll even answer email questions on his website, which is posted on the S-H main site.

JaneB

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
JaneB: :eek::eek::faint: wow wow, what a grisly story! SO glad to hear that the outcome, after such a LONG HAUL, is ultimately a good one. Incredible. I'm just glad to hear you are okay. If THIS story doesn't give anyone second thoughts.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga