• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Search results

1. Ringrat

Fitness Watch - skiing

I got a Venu 2s this summer and so far so good for walking, hiking, running, biking, golfing. It has a ski mode but I obviously haven't tried it yet!
  2. Ringrat

Resort COVID-19 safety rules for 2021-22

RCR Resorts are requiring vaccination to ride a lift or be indoors. You have to provide proof of vaccination in order to activate your lift ticket or pass. https://skifernie.com/covid-19/winter/
  3. Ringrat

The skate ski thread

I started skate skiing with a series of lessons in...2009(?), I think, when I lived in Rossland, and then kept it up living in Kimberley. The amount I get out tapered off drastically living in Elkford (where I had to drive an hour to get to regularly-groomed trails) but now that I'm in Sparwood...
  4. Ringrat

Backcountry skiing in a Covid world

Not in BC. Lots of internal discussion among the 1500 or so of us about how teams are assessing risk and making decisions, but there is no official shutdown of services, and I don't know of any teams that have stood down. My team was non-operational for a few days while we begged for masks...
  5. Ringrat

Ski Diva Pilates class

Somehow I doubt my 9:30 meeting will be over by then. It never is... :(
  6. Ringrat

Backcountry skiing in a Covid world

I know it's been sooo tempting to go out here, but I've refrained. I'm a manager, team leader, etc. in my local SAR team, and we've been issued a whole bunch of guidelines about how to protect ourselves if we need to respond. My team has exactly ten N95 masks in our stock, and that's only thanks...
  7. Ringrat

More ski resorts going to RFID

They weren't asking folks to lift goggles this year. They were watching with tablets, though.
  8. Ringrat

Ah. My rain jacket has a sleeve pocket that I've never found useful. Possibly also a function of not having bought a ski jacket in 15 years... My sister's jacket has one with a plastic window and I've always watched her struggle at the scanners with it, but I'll have to keep in that mind when...
  9. Ringrat

Amazing and little-known: Red Mountain and Whitewater BC

I'm mostly interested in this spreading people out to Grey faster. I like the terrain on Grey (ok, I liked it better when it was slackcountry, guilty as charged), but I prefer my more familiar stomping grounds off Motherlode. The lines have been longer my last few visits than they were when I...
  10. Ringrat

I had my first experience with RFID tech at Whistler this year. Everywhere I ski normally is still scanning passes by hand. I suppose I'll have to get used to it eventually as the way of the future, but I found it a hassle. With a pass that gets scanned, I attach it to my jacket or pants, and...
  11. Ringrat

Contest: Kulkea Kantaja Double Roller Ski Bag Giveaway

It extends to 205 cm (!)...way longer than my skis! I also learned that it's hard to find this company's products in Canada!
  12. Ringrat

Contest: Kulkea Kantaja Double Roller Ski Bag Giveaway

What about a Diva who can drive to the lower 48 and pick things up at a shipping outlet?
  13. Ringrat

Help Needed: Alpine touring hardshell and pack

I have an OR Aspire jacket, though it looks like it's changed slightly for this year. I don't actually wear it much while in the backcountry, but it sure gets carried around in my pack a lot. It has to be snowing quite hard for it to be on for the uphill, more likely to be on for the downhill...
  14. Ringrat

Tips for downhill in backcountry gear

I feel like more often than not when I tour, there's some survival skiing involved. Either because I'm bushwhacking at some point, or it's cruddy or windblown or crusty or heavy, or... I find that I have to focus on keeping my hands in the right place and my shoulders facing downhill with my...
  15. Ringrat

Iceland in summer?

The view from the top of the waterslide at the pool in Hofn is amazing. We'd been in rain for days on end between Reykjavik and there, and the clouds broke while we were in the hot pot. My SO actually made me go back into the change room (the dry part, no less) to get my glasses so I could see.
  16. Ringrat

Iceland in summer?

I spent 3 weeks in Iceland in September a few years ago. We also rented a car and drove the ring road, counterclockwise, with detours to Landmannalauger, out into the Eastfjords and Westfjords. We also went to the Golden Triangle last and it was quite touristy, but I did enjoy it, particularly...
  17. Ringrat

Hiking poles - what to look for?

Lightweight, for sure. I find most very heavy. I have Black Diamond Traverse poles for backcountry skiing and I can't stand the weight for hiking. I have an older set of Leki poles and newer Black Diamond carbon fiber ones. Definitely ones that fold or collapse in three sections - these can...
  18. Ringrat

Photo of the day

I hit closing day at Castle Mtn with 18 cm of fresh snow, but skipped closing day at Fernie in the bucketing rain. Today I made it out for a nice spring skiing day in an area we'd never toured in before. Our exploring days often turn into bushwhacking, so I was expecting slushy woody nonsense...
  19. Ringrat

First timer tips for Lake Louise and Banff?

Even if you don't eat at the Banff Springs, it's totally worth the trip up there just to wander around. It's amazing.